G.rosea import ban?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think this is an excellent development... IF its true. I'm of the opinion that whenever possible we as a hobby should support captive bred populations over w/c. W/c will always have a place in the hobby, especially to establish cb populations of new species but once established in captivity, the harvesting of wild populations should almost completely cease in this species too. I'd also like it if lps were forced to make wiser decisions of what they will carry and making it more expensive for them will either make it so they don't carry them at all or make it cost effective to care for them properly.

If pet stores don't have cheap w/c adults anymore (which they've had for the last 50 years), then they'd have to rely on selling slings, which most of the public won't have any interest in, because they're small, delicate, and expensive.

Last edited:

Tangle

Arachnopeon
I personally feel this would be a really good thing for the rosies. I bought my first one through an online vendor. She's an adult 5 inch female. I have no idea how old she is. She was about $27. For a confirmed female. She's honestly one of my more beautiful spiders and yet she's considered a throw a way spider.

I'm all for this ban because my mind can't comprehend how we can have so many dying in our pet stores and sustain them in nature.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think this is an excellent development... IF its true. I'm of the opinion that whenever possible we as a hobby should support captive bred populations over w/c. W/c will always have a place in the hobby, especially to establish cb populations of new species but once established in captivity, the harvesting of wild populations should almost completely cease in this species too. I'd also like it if lps were forced to make wiser decisions of what they will carry and making it more expensive for them will either make it so they don't carry them at all or make it cost effective to care for them properly.
I agree that CB over WC is generally better when purchasing a Tarantula. one of the things you have to consider though is that a pet store first and foremost is a business. Most of the petstores go for WC spiders because they are much cheaper. if they are no longer available and its easier to make their money on another animal they will very likely stop selling spiders all together to pursue another animal with a better profit margin. as much as everyone bashes petstores on here they do have their place. Think of how stifled the hobby would be if petstores stopped selling tarantulas. Like it or not the spider in a pet store is often times someones introduction into the hobby.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Rose hair ban

Does anyone know for sure if they officially banned rose hair imports from chile? This could just be a rumor but I have heard it from a few fellow hobbyists. Just want to clear the air. I can't find anything about it online...

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know for sure if they officially banned rose hair imports from chile? This could just be a rumor but I have heard it from a few fellow hobbyists. Just want to clear the air. I can't find anything about it online...
Rose hairs? The more or less one tarantula everyone has owned (except me... yet)? What justification would they have for banning it? It's not endangered.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rose hairs? The more or less one tarantula everyone has owned (except me... yet)? What justification would they have for banning it? It's not endangered.
I really hope you are kidding. If they aren't endangered...I would be surprised. Slow growing, extremely harsh environment, tons being taken out of the wild..those aren't good odds.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
I really hope you are kidding. If they aren't endangered...I would be surprised. Slow growing, extremely harsh environment, tons being taken out of the wild..those aren't good odds.
Let's put it this way. It breeds readily, does it not? Even if it were endangered, it isn't like they're dying out anytime soon. If anything they'd make a comeback. And no, they are not endangered. Not on IUCN Red List. Taking big quantities from the wild doesn't mean endangered always.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well...obviously taking a ton of an animal out of the wild that lives in that type of environment and grows as slow as it does isn't a good thing. I could definitely see them being endangered soon if they keep being taken from the wild. I am shocked they aren't though.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
:wall:

:bomb:
You know, the rumor mill makes crazy things. As it stands, that's all this is right now.

---------- Post added 05-17-2015 at 12:20 AM ----------

Well...obviously taking a ton of an animal out of the wild that lives in that type of environment and grows as slow as it does isn't a good thing. I could definitely see them being endangered soon if they keep being taken from the wild. I am shocked they aren't though.
That's like saying if we take tortoises out of the wild, they stop growing and having tortoise sex. Just because they're slow growing doesn't mean they don't have the capabilities to survive and escape capture or predation. As a matter of fact, there are numerous animals that have been saved by domestication or captive breeding programs, so this is actually saving them if anything. Spiders can have hundreds of babies per sack. Times that by the amount of people breeding these things, and all you'd need is a giant metaphorical Fedex box to their native habitats, and boom, repopulation.

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just want to lay this possible fugazi to rest :)

--J.Haas

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So we are saving G. rosea/porteri by taking them out of the wild.

I am pretty sure we have a different way of thinking.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
So we are saving G. rosea/porteri by taking them out of the wild.

I am pretty sure we have a different way of thinking.
Hey. Just because we're beating the conservationist societies to the punch, doesn't mean the punch isn't happening. If I hit a deer with my car, and it has a broken leg, will it die in the wild? Most likely. Now, if I take this deer and care for it, and THEN release it, possibly into an area with multiple female deer, is it not helping deer in general?

If the animal is already, as you put it, "threatened", it is threatened by SOME humans. The ones cutting down the forests, cutting and burning, encroachment, etc, etc, etc. You want us to do nothing?

Obviously we can't stop "progress". But we CAN save the spider by giving it a shot in the arm so to speak, getting it to breed, then releasing the progeny back into the wild.

cold blood

Staff member
One of the slowest growing species has been being plucked from the wild and supplied to the pet trade for decades at alarming rates that far exceed their reproductive capabilities (this is, or at least should be, common knowledge within the hobby). This has kept them cheap, combined with slow growth and a reputation for being difficult to breed has led to little efforts to maintain captive breeding stock, which SHOULD be the end goal for every species in the hobby.

see---CITES

Protecting Brachypelma from being taken advantage of for many years:wink:

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
One of the slowest growing species has been being plucked from the wild and supplied to the pet trade for decades at alarming rates that far exceed their reproductive capabilities (this is, or at least should be, common knowledge within the hobby). This has kept them cheap, combined with slow growth and a reputation for being difficult to breed has led to little efforts to maintain captive breeding stock, which SHOULD be the end goal for every species in the hobby.

see---CITES

Protecting Brachypelma from being taken advantage of for many years:wink:
By this logic, the species is doomed if you leave it to its own devices and it's our fault. So. Give us a chance to fix it. Let the breeders give it their all, and see if humans can't make some kind of positive impact. Better to try and fail, than to say "Uh oh, it's gonna die, better leave it to die cause it's just going to happen regardless".

cold blood

Staff member
Suddenly relevant again with a new "twin" thread.:wondering:

Search engine anyone?

cold blood

Staff member
I just brought up a very recent thread of the same topic....check it out.

Breeders here and everywhere have PLENTY with which to work with and have for decades....there's no reason to take them from the wild and there hasn't been for a while.

Your logic is illogical.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
I just brought up a very recent thread of the same topic....check it out.

Breeders here and everywhere have PLENTY with which to work with and have for decades....there's no reason to take them from the wild and there hasn't been for a while.

Your logic is illogical.
It's perfectly logical. I wasn't advocating taking anymore from the wild. You admit that the species is threatened, even if not formally recognized as such, by human activity. Erego, we are the threat.

However, not all humans are actively threatening this spider. If the spider were to be left alone, as you advocate, you imply it will surely progress into a death spiral. So. Breed the animal in captivity. Release the progeny into the wild. Rinse and repeat. Factor for inbreeding. What part of this is illogical?

The animal is in trouble. The MAIN trouble, the "clear and present" danger is not taking them out of the wild, but taking the spider out of the world in general. We threatened it, therefore we either let it pass on, or we try to breed it in sufficient quantity and diversity to where it can regain population density that is sustainable in the wild.

I'm sorry, but at this point, we cannot stop human "progress" which consists of habitat destruction, we need resources, as does the spider. If your assertion is correct, leaving the spider alone leads to human "progress" stamping it into extinction. With the help of humanity, ironically, the spider can survive. Otherwise, if your assertion of its fragility is correct, then it will perish. So the choice is up to us: leave spider to die, or breed it and try.

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I found out earlier today from one pet store owner in the State of Utah yes they have been banned and prices when up on rose hairs.

Jose

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What I found out earlier today from one pet store owner in the State of Utah yes they have been banned and prices when up on rose hairs.

Jose
So the rumor is true after all?