GBB vs Versicolour

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Shouldn't be wet at all.
Hello
You can check some of my avics I have displayed earlier in this post,all been raised since sling all substrate wet(misted substrate) not one death perfect webbing no water dish etc.

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Just a update and i think i will close the thread after this. I moved my A. Versi Colour into a Arboreal a enclosure with something to build her web on. Within moments of putting her in she started to walk around and spin. I'm also making a point of keeping up the humidity/misting every couple of days. Think i will finish this thread off with positing a Picture later this afternoon.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Just a update and i think i will close the thread after this. I moved my A. Versi Colour into a Arboreal a enclosure with something to build her web on. Within moments of putting her in she started to walk around and spin. I'm also making a point of keeping up the humidity/misting every couple of days. Think i will finish this thread off with positing a Picture later this afternoon.
Hope all goes well,spinning or webbing is a good sign.

VenomousMe

Arachnopeon
And that's the problem, 'setting them up right' is crucial, and often difficult for beginners to the hobby. There's been a lot of 'My Dead Avic' threads here. It's best if people get some experience with the easier ones first. Once they can do those, then they'll have a better feel for when they try Avics. It's in the best interests of the spider that they don't wind up in the hands of someone who's going into this with some experience.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

Excellent! And lets not forget all the good advice of OBT's for beginners too!

OBT's are an excellent beginner T. I'm a beginner, I have 8 of them, and have had no issues. Therefore what are you talking about? Please, tell us again why they aren't good beginner T's? Hardy? There is no hardier T. Gorgeous? One of the best looking ones imo. Do they bite? Yes. So do avics and g roseas. So WHAT makes them not a beginner T? The fact that they frighten you? Who are you? Some scared guy? You come off like you're yoda, but you live in fear of the animals you keep. Good luck with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OBT's are an excellent beginner T. I'm a beginner, I have 8 of them, and have had no issues.....Please, tell us again why they aren't good beginner T's? Hardy? There is no hardier T. Gorgeous? One of the best looking ones imo. Do they bite? Yes. So do avics and g roseas. So WHAT makes them not a beginner T? The fact that they frighten you? Who are you? Some scared guy? You come off like you're yoda, but you live in fear of the animals you keep. Good luck with that.
I guess you don't know a lot about Poec54's collection of Ts or him personally based on your disrespectful response. Typically getting tagged by an Old World T, eg a Baboon, is worse than tagged by a New World like an Avic. Just like there are intermediate and advanced reptiles in the hobby, many people have the same belief for the arachnid hobby as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
OBT's are an excellent beginner T. I'm a beginner, I have 8 of them, and have had no issues. Therefore what are you talking about? Please, tell us again why they aren't good beginner T's? Hardy? There is no hardier T. Gorgeous? One of the best looking ones imo. Do they bite? Yes. So do avics and g roseas. So WHAT makes them not a beginner T? The fact that they frighten you? Who are you? Some scared guy? You come off like you're yoda, but you live in fear of the animals you keep. Good luck with that.
Back again spouting more bad advice. Unlike you, some of us want to keep this hobby going for decades, which is going to be more and more of a challenge, as governments continue to ban tarantula and exotic animal ownership. What will drive that is beginners getting high-profile bites (think internet). OBT's nailing kids, especially ones that got loose in the house. Recipe for a public relations disaster. Spider owners have no political clout. Our animals can be banned in a day with the stroke of a pen. We need to act responsible, or the hobby will come crashing down. Probably not an issue with you, as you have all the classic characteristics of a short-timer; you'll move on to something else to stroke your ego. You've been in the hobby how long? And have instantly become some kind of expert? Yeah, we see a few guys like that here every year. Believe me, there's nothing unique about you.

Last edited:

MrDave

Arachnosquire
G rosea bite report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m7Www4ATes
OBT bite report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B86JY1uKpsw

Both are grown men bit on the tip of a finger. One describes the pain as 'no big deal' while the other brought the guy to his knees for 13 minutes and was giving him cramps hours later. Yeah, both these species bite, but clearly, when you're advising someone who's entering the hobby you'd advise them to pick a spider that won't mess them up like that when they make their first mistake. It'd be pretty irresponsible do otherwise.

To Poec54's point, imagine what'd happen if a 5 year old got tagged by an escaped OBT and the buyer decided to sue the petstore. Your favorite politicians would be climbing all over themselves to be the first to ban pet spiders. All of them, not just OBTs. Better include scorpions and centipedes too.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well just because you have no issues , does not mean other beginners will not get bitten by them.
They are more of a intermediate-advanced spider and bites are very painful. I would suggest B vagans to beginner if they want something a little feistier. B vagans can be moody but aren't as fast as OBT, weaker venom too,.

Last edited:

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Hello
With the thinking of an obt for a beginner is okay,I will list my personal Opinion thus not a rule nor will I debate it since it is a personal view. The problem I have with keeping an obt as a beginner is,yes they will be able to take care of it as a sling anyone can but as it grows the danger grows exponentially. The other problem is,people use tarantula types as stepping stones to their capability meaning a newbie will start with a chaco and progress as he is more experienced. So starting say with an obt,what's the next level a feather leg ? Since going any where else would be boring,and pokies are in my opinion chilled compared to the aforementioned.

We have to realise people will interpret text and apply as they see fit,with any piece of advice if there is even a slim chance for disaster please advise. If a person chooses to keep an obt feather leg Togo starburst,and least be open to the fact one needs to keep these at least a few years to lay judgment if they are okay to be kept as a newbie. I will even say,after rehousing an obt or one if the others above as an adult,you will certainly have a different view on them.

If someone wants an adrenalin rush causing T,get the following new world's and they don't have potent venom.
- P.Irminia Venezuelan Sun tiger
- P.Cancerides Hatian Brown
- A.laeta Puerto Rican pink toe one evil avic
These examples are the ones with high attitude and sure adrenalin junkie results, unless its not the feisty that appeals but the danger ? Then it is irresponsible, and the sun tiger trumps the obt in beauty.

I have all the specimens mentioned above,minus the obt since it I have in its place others that rank equal or higher in attitude and venom potency. I will never ever tell a newbie to get an obt like tarantula,rather guide them to make an informative choice that is the key word informative. Thus give all the good and the bad,if it is said with warnings making that choice will be in the hands of that hobbyist and he or she must own up to their own choices.

Last edited:

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Wow my post exploded again. Bellow is a pic of my Avic. Versi, sitting at the top of her cage in her web.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I miss my Versi female, A bad molt or a fall after molting in her tube web killed her. These are easy to care for just keep a good water dish for them at all times full. I need more Old worlder's though, that's what I am collecting more from now on.

Methal

Arachnosquire
Been keeping black widows for years. Of my first 5 Ts 2 of them are OBTs. Rather get bit by the obt any day. 1 day of pain + 4 cramping beats 5 days of pain in the hospital and 6 weeks of cramping.
So far they are more inclined to run than fight.
I'd say all the people that encourage handling of T's are more of a problem than the experience of the owner. Leave the damn thing alone and it will be just as easy to care for as a rosie.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Been keeping black widows for years. Of my first 5 Ts 2 of them are OBTs.
So far they are more inclined to run than fight.
I'd say all the people that encourage handling of T's are more of a problem than the experience of the owner. Leave the damn thing alone and it will be just as easy to care for as a rosie.
Yeah If you leave your OBT alone you will not get bit period. They are not as scary as Hatian brown , or LP those are fearless. Wild LP must be the size or close to Goliath otherwise they wouldn't be so bold or fearless,. Either way a 7-10.5" spider is big period, 7-8" usual size. Despite T blondi being a bit heavier then L klugi ,Goliath average id say 8-10" size.

Last edited:

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Our local supplier breeder actually had a comp and i won a Klugi, im so happy to hear they get very big :D