Genus Holothele

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
SOAD, maybe 3" legspan, not sure how long they live

Novak, in a 10 gallon, a bunch of slings, but I doubt more then 2 to 3 adult females would be able to live in it...

Here is another picture... this time the female pretends to be a wolfspider carrying a baby on her abdomen!

Attachments

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Holothele sp. "Norte de Santander"

About 1" - Freshly Molted

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Holothele sp. "Aragua"

Holothele sanguiniceps from Isla Margarita

Eric

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Freshly molted female Holothele shoemakeri - somewhere around 3"

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice shots!theres a great article about holothele in the new bts journal

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Female Holothele sp. "Norte de Santander"

Subadult Holothele sp. "Aragua"

Eric

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The joys of the communal set up...

Tonight I walked by the terra and noticed something not normal...

There they were, two gay mature males H. incei going at it... they tried to mate for at least 10 minutes...

Picture one shows our lovely couple having fun... :wall: :wall:

Picture two shows the overall view of the terra, to the left the two males having fun, in the middle a third male wondering why he is not getting any action, to the right a fourth male doing what he is supposed to do, mating a female (the female is in her burrow and we cannot see it on the picture).

Picture three, once the two males decided it was not fun enough they tried for a threesome with the third lonely one... ;) just kidding, they did not do anything after that...

Martin

Attachments

stooka

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: :clap: excellent.Did you lose many spiders with the communial setup?i would love to do it myself.Ive done pokies communially but H.incei i havent.Love these little guys though so wanna try them communially.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have whitnessed some eating each other once in a while. But I cannot say how many I lost as I did not count in the first place, just dumped a whole eggsac in there. Now they have also bred on their own, so there are new babies walking around as well.

Martin

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

I make now this group breeding too. It is very interesting. I have more species in group.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi kurisute_hasu,

Tarcan- Do you think other Holothele sp. are communal or just incei?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'll contribute anyway.

I recently had the opportunity to observe/photograph many Holothele sp. on St. John (probably H. shoemakeri). I found many specimens (Adult females, males, and juveniles) all living under the same logs/rocks.... all basically sharing the same webbed structures.... some even sharing "burrows".

I would be surprised not to find this with the mainland Holothele as well... but that's next years trip :)

Eric

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had the chance to observe 6 different Holothele sp. in the wild so far and I have only noticed H. incei to be found sometimes in good concentration together. But even with H. incei, I only observed that in areas where the vegetation is more sparse. Inside the forest, I always found specimens scattered.

For the other species I never found some close to one another, but then again the forest is so dense and so many hiding places it is hard to find anything at all. Specially that they do not web like H. incei do. H. incei is easy to spot from your car if you pay remotly attention! LOL

Here are two pictures of a Holothele sp. from French Guyana.

Martin

Attachments

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting observation Eric, I am "surprised"... Amanda and I had so much trouble finding H. sanguiniceps in Trinidad it was discouraging. I "expected" all the non-patterned similar looking Holothele spp. (sp. Aragua, NDS, Tachira, Carabobo, H. sanguiniceps, etc.) to behave the same and be very isolated specimens.

Did the ones you found seemed to "live" like NDS or Aragua lives in captivity (not much silk, no borrow, etc.)

Martin