Genus Macrothele

mingu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some pics of my 2 largest Macrothele gigas slings. Nearing 2 inches in leg span.
This one recently molted.

I rehoused this one yesterday and it has already webbed quite a bit.

Fuse

Arachnopeon
Have you guys fed your Macrothele Dubia nymphs before? Do they seem to take them?

Also I'm newer to True Spiders but are there ways of telling if your spider is successfully capturing prey. My macrothele stays hidden much of the time. I give him a good amount of cover but this also makes tracking his food a bit difficult.

I've given mine both small crickets and dubia nymphs.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful specimens. Thanks for sharing!

Also I'm newer to True Spiders but are there ways of telling if your spider is successfully capturing prey. My macrothele stays hidden much of the time. I give him a good amount of cover but this also makes tracking his food a bit difficult.
Just for the record, M. gigas are Mygalomorphae, not true spiders (Araneomorphae). I think dealing with their prey is pretty much the same issue as for tarantulas or other inverts... if the enclosure is cluttered it may be hard to tell what's getting eaten. You could clear up the cage a bit, keep careful track of how many prey items you're adding, remove prey if it's not immediately taken, etc.

Fuse

Arachnopeon
I moved my spider (he's inside a hollow corkbark log, quarter sized about now) to a new terrarium that I thought would be easy to take care of him in and he hasn't come out of his log yet to build a web. How well do these spiders deal with the stress of having their webs destroyed/moving? It's been a day and he hasn't really come out at all, even to throw down some strands.

Do they stress out from this sort of thing much?

Thanks

mingu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I moved my spider (he's inside a hollow corkbark log, quarter sized about now) to a new terrarium that I thought would be easy to take care of him in and he hasn't come out of his log yet to build a web. How well do these spiders deal with the stress of having their webs destroyed/moving? It's been a day and he hasn't really come out at all, even to throw down some strands.

Do they stress out from this sort of thing much?

Thanks
My wc female took a couple days before she started webbing in her new enclosure.

mingu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rehoused my Macrothele gigas slings in bigger containers this week, and snapped some pics I wanted to share.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, these guys are really cool! Definitely something new for the wish list...

Sorry if I missed this, but what's the venom like on these guys?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
would love to own some of the M. gigas, gotta have a DWA license over here though.

mingu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Finally, first time a catch her out in the open. Adult female Macrothele gigas.

With flash

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love this thread and always look forward to seeing updates. Gorgeous specimens!