Genus Selenocosmia

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah these are awesome spiders!That photo above does this girl no justice either hehe!Hope to breed her this year! ;)
-Chris

VinceG

Arachnobaron
Damn, this Arndsti is simply beautiful! Too bad they are extremely rare here in Canada :(

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi creepa,
The spiders recently sold as coming out of Western New Guinea and the Aru Island chain, did not come from that region, but from West Java. We suspect it is due to the laws concerning the exporter (who cannot collect from Java and sell, particularly since he's been recently caught smuggling reptiles).

The exporter has found some sort of round-about way to get around being caught, it's a political thing, but his collection information he gives out on any West Papuan/Aruan material is false.

BUT, that is not to say the species in your images is S.javanensis, there are MANY Selenocosmia spp. from that island in particular (but it is, however, very closely related).

As for S.arndsti and S.dichromata, they are indeed from Irian Jaya and are legit Papuan material.

Steve

creepa

Arachnoknight
Hi creepa,
The spiders recently sold as coming out of Western New Guinea and the Aru Island chain, did not come from that region, but from West Java. We suspect it is due to the laws concerning the exporter (who cannot collect from Java and sell, particularly since he's been recently caught smuggling reptiles).

The exporter has found some sort of round-about way to get around being caught, it's a political thing, but his collection information he gives out on any West Papuan/Aruan material is false.

BUT, that is not to say the species in your images is S.javanensis, there are MANY Selenocosmia spp. from that island in particular (but it is, however, very closely related).

As for S.arndsti and S.dichromata, they are indeed from Irian Jaya and are legit Papuan material.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve although it only makes it more confusing to determan this spider.:confused:
I'm going to a determination course under the supervision of Volker von Wirth next weekend and i'm going to bring an exuviae of this spider whith me for examination by mister von Wirth.
I hope he can tell me more about this species because i'm only in the hobby for a year now.
So as what shoud i label this spider now?, maybe only Selenocosmia sp or should i label it as its labeled now?:confused:
Is there any chance of sending an exuviae to you or is that no option because of the Australian quarantine laws?

Cheers, Jesse.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Jesse,
We already have specimens from this species, so there is no need to send an exuvium. Please feel free to pass the information from these emails onto Volker, I am certain he will explain the close relationship between your specimens and of other Javan tarantulas. It is quite safe to label this species as a Selenocosmia species. It's an undescribed species, it also bears no common name.

Please let him know about the location information I provided in the previous email if you can, thanks :)

Steve

Last edited:

johnloz

Arachnopeon
i have successfully breed a samar cave tarantula...i already have the bunch of sling. are they closely related to orpneacus family?

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------