Getting your first aggressive T's

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as you do like 5 minutes of preliminary research concerning a specific sp., you should be more than prepared for what's to come, most likely a whole lot of hiding with the occassional threat pose or hiss.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With my H. minax, I have to work if I don't want to get tagged. It's also pretty large enclosure.
Though I do hear of nothing short of atrocious behavior out of H. minax from time to time. Kinda makes me want one.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best is when you get a Threat Pose from a 1.5in lil bugger. It make me laugh more than scare. It's the only T that I have that has given me that pose. I have mine setup like a burrowing T and that is exactly what both of mine have done, right to the bottom of the enclosure. Any work done is no worries as they prefer to stay in their burrows.
I do have a friend who's Minax's get upset with him just walking by.

Come on Butch...You KNOW you want one. :)

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got some H. schmidti slings, they make gorgeous adults. Both are around 2" and pretty laid back. I might just go for minax one of these days. I'd just like to say that I thoroughly enjoy obligate burrowers and don't think they get nearly enough credit. Just look at the most recent poll! If you go about it right, you can usually catch them out a couple times a week, at least as much as most secretive arboreals.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was wondering when it came to getting your first aggresive T's, is it better to get them from slings or jump straight into adult? And is there any set time or rough time line that you should be in the hobby before getting them?
I jumped straight into an adult. It's the most classic of the defensive Ts, P.murinus. If you respect the T you'll be fine. Most people like to start out with young specimens so they can adjust and learn from them as they grow, this is a very good way to go if you get nervous around Ts.

There definately is no timeline for when you should get your first defensive T, it's all on if you're ready or not. Many people here started the hobby with a defensive T. Mine first defensive T was my 3rd, If I had known about it earlier I probably would have got one first.