Giant African Land Snail

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, they develop new layers of shell over the older ones??

How does their adult body fit in the shell that once had the size of their smaller body???

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
So, they develop new layers of shell over the older ones??

How does their adult body fit in the shell that once had the size of their smaller body???
Look at a snail shell sometime. The very centermost part of the spiral is what they "lived in" when they were small. The ring is layed down at the mouth & slightly larger. It's analogous to the way something like a big horn ram grows it's curved horn.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do the Land snails that live in florida get as big as the ones in Africa?

From
Eric

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok, I got it now, thanks :)

Originally posted by Code Monkey
Look at a snail shell sometime. The very centermost part of the spiral is what they "lived in" when they were small. The ring is layed down at the mouth & slightly larger. It's analogous to the way something like a big horn ram grows it's curved horn.

Drosera123

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are four different species, the tiger being the biggest, and are only illegal in most of the lower u.s. states, llook up u.s. fish and game or something. I thought Florida rid the snails after spending 10billion, right? Any way, that happened in the 70's when a kid smuggled 3 adults in from Hawaii(introduced there too, haha) his grandmother let them loose in the garden. Bad thing is:
1. They eat everything.
2. If it gets to cold, they put a membrane around themselves and bury themselves underground until they get the right temperature again.
3. They eat all vegetation! Well, when they're hungary they'll probably eat anything I guess, kinda like some roaches after you don't feed for 3 weeks(never did that, just heard of it).

Steve

http://www.roachdomain.com/serv-all-main.html