Giant water bug????

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Belostomatids are very hardy insects that are pretty simple to house in captivity. A single specimen will do fine in a ¾ to one gallon or so enclosure. Water depth should be at least five to six inches. Aquatic vegetation or submerged objects that mimic aquatic vegetation are a must for giant water bugs as they will cling to the objects with the two pairs of swimming legs while the front raptorial legs are open for hunting. They will also regularly rest on the submerged objects, and those of the genus Lethocerus will lay eggs on the objects protruding out of the waters surface. Aquarium gravel works great for aquatic substrate as it provides a ridged surface for belostomatids to hold on to while resting on the bottom. Giant water bugs are good nocturnal flyers so a lid on the enclosure is necessary. They are incredibly successful predators and adult specimens will feed voraciously on small fish. Two or three food items a week is a good feeding schedule. Belostomatids breath surface air through snorkel-like siphons at the end of the abdomen, so changing the water in the enclosure is not a constant must, although if the water becomes too littered with prey item parts or other organic material that can cause sanitation problems, then it should be changed.

Alex S.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I used to keep these when I was a kid. I always kept them in a small fish bowl. They will eat about anything. I even had one eat a salamander one time. I haven't seen one in years but I haven't really looked either.
I also use to keep Diving Beetles. One of these days I might start another aquatic insect enclosure.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Brian S said:
I used to keep these when I was a kid. I always kept them in a small fish bowl. They will eat about anything. I even had one eat a salamander one time. I haven't seen one in years but I haven't really looked either.
I also use to keep Diving Beetles. One of these days I might start another aquatic insect enclosure.

If you do start another aquatic insect enclosure, I suggest keeping the giant water bugs (same rule with large waterscorpions) seperate, as they will kill and eat every other suitable-sized organism in the aquarium. They are extremely efficient, awesome predators. I have observed Lethocerus americanus even preying on small water snakes.

Alex S.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow, those are really huge. I figured they would be an inch or two, but damn.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alex S. said:
If you do start another aquatic insect enclosure, I suggest keeping the giant water bugs (same rule with large waterscorpions) seperate, as they will kill and eat every other suitable-sized organism in the aquarium. They are extremely efficient, awesome predators. I have observed Lethocerus americanus even preying on small water snakes.

Alex S.
Yeah I learned that the hard way back then. One morning when I checked it all of my small Diving Beetle species had been tagged. From then on I always kept them in a separate container.
Oh Btw, I went out to that pond today but never found any. All I found was several Water Scorpions (Ranatra sp). I would like to have some more Water Bugs and Diving Beetles someday

spider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I catch those down in Natches,MS. They call them toebiters. {D
They are about 2-3 inches long. :)

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i took some pics of one of the dead ones i have...i'll post pics here hopefully tomorrow nite (not my camera...).

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
pics i promised

i think their faces look like aliens, especially in the last two pics :}

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, I'v kept many specimens and, thankfully, have never been bitten once.

Alex S.