Giant Water Bug

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
reptillian said:
ha ha spose me and me mate got told................... yea srry that was my mate being big headed lmao! i n o it does sound quite funny what he said
lol
by da way wade in england the suposed giant water bugs are actully called water scorpians but that is just our local name .local names often vairy!lol
and yes elizabeth please let us rule da world coz i would beet up non enviromental people and blow up evil peopl!!!!!!!!! lol actully i would probably just sit there eating crisps but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then what's your common name for the Nepidae? :?

Common names do very from place to place, but I think you have both giant waterbugs and waterscorpions in England. They are easy to distinguish by the permanantly extended breathing tube waterscorpions have (which gives the impression of a tail, and therefore a vague resembalance to a scorpion), whereas giant water bugs have a very short, retractable breathing tubes. Otherwise, some members of Nepidae are very simmilar to water bugs in overal appearance. I can't dispute what common names you use in England, but I can say "waterscorpion" is a more logical name for Nepidae than Belostomatidae since they do have a more scorpion-like appearance (because of the tail). Really, though, if I had my way they'd be "watermantids" since that's what the remind me of the most. Coincidentally, my avatar is a picture of a waterscorpion.

I was only teasing abut the diversity of animal life where you live, but seriously, the US is vast piece of real estate, with incredibly diverse range of habitats, not to mention flora and fauna. Even the experienced naturalist encounter critters they've never seen before from time to time.

Wade

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
right... we do have a great pond beetle which is a fierce predator and eat small fish and inverts bug that doesnt look like the 1 in da pic? i dont no when i searched that latin name in google it came up with a invert which looked like a water scorpian . ahhhhhhhhhhhh common names psss me of coz they vary lots
lol

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know the diversity of wildlife in ameria is amazin because when i went to florida i didnt ever roconise anything there i did my head in!!!!!!!! you could b driving through marsh then come across some like open field!!!!!!!! awsome but the one thing i didnt like about florida was the thee were no hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!