GoPro?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Jealous all y’all that can still dive….one of the few things I am forbidden to ever do again after my brain surgery, it’s a fair trade off for not having my brain blow out of my skull, but I can still snorkel 🤣

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
FWIW my Hero8 has taken a drop from speed on my motorcycle at 60 MPH and the only damage was to the crash case.

That was a little over 2 years ago. I dunked it under the water from a moving boat this year.

The only malfunction I've ever witnessed on it, is that it started to record by itself one time. I assume I just pressed the button by accident on the case.

As mentioned above, battery life is not great. Even on a dry trip, you can probably record an hour to two hours on one battery pack. The saving grace is that you can fully charge 2 batteries at once in under an hour, so if you have 4-5 and a battery pack, you'll have enough juice for a day.

I have like 5 batteries because of this. It's most likely a direct result of the form factor. It's a very small camera. Hence small batteries.
Yeah I never realized how small they were until I saw a box of one in store! I haven't looked into them in detail because I do still photogaphy, but going underwater--video is a must have for me, never know what you might see.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jealous all y’all that can still dive….one of the few things I am forbidden to ever do again after my brain surgery, it’s a fair trade off for not having my brain blow out of my skull, but I can still snorkel 🤣
How long did you dive for, free dive, or scuba? Snorkel is better than nothing. My first time snorkeling I was HOOKED.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Ooo can I ask? I've been under twice for cranial surgeries and I was never told of such a limitation, I've been diving and snorkeling barely 3 times times and now I'm paranoid my brain is gonna explode.

Yeah I never realized how small they were until I saw a box of one in store! I haven't looked into them in detail because I do still photogaphy, but going underwater--video is a must have for me, never know what you might see.
I'm sure you've considered other factors too such as risk of damage.

Ex. I wouldn't attach your DSLR to my helmet
I wouldn't cry over a waterlogged GoPro

Also, if an octopus wrestles me for it, I'm gonna let it have the GoPro. I might get bit over the DSLR.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
How long did you dive for, free dive, or scuba? Snorkel is better than nothing. My first time snorkeling I was HOOKED.
I had only gotten to go a few times when I was younger before I used to stop, but yeah I got to see snorkel with a nurse shark once which was incredible. But after not being aloud I used to go kayaking in the early mornings in the ocean and I once had this massive Mobula birostris “giant manta ray” that was with me one morning just gliding right underneath me one this particular alsmost glassy surface morning. The thing was huge at least 15ft I’d estimate and they get bigger, and I was just in awe of getting to see one in the wild and interact with it! It was just me and this entity enjoying the stillnesss will never forget that l. They became my favorite ocean creature after that.
Ooo can I ask? I've been under twice for cranial surgeries and I was never told of such a limitation, I've been diving and snorkeling barely 3 times times and now I'm paranoid my brain is gonna explode.
Ahhh yeah normal brain surgery you’ll likely be fine as they put your skull back on, my exact surgery I had a portion of the base of my skull removed (and not put back on) and replaced with I believe a animal dura (pig if I remember correctly and not synthetic) to make more room for my brain and well as bone shaved and slight cerberal tonsillectomy. So increased pressure of deep diving more than +1 atmospheric increaser can do serious damage to that area of mine since I’m missing the base of my skull 💀 although it would cause be a lot of pain just to do it anyway since I am so sensitive to pressure anyway now

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had only gotten to go a few times when I was younger before I used to stop, but yeah I got to see snorkel with a nurse shark once which was incredible. But after not being aloud I used to go kayaking in the early mornings in the ocean and I once had this massive Mobula birostris “giant manta ray” that was with me one morning just gliding right underneath me one this particular alsmost glassy surface morning. The thing was huge at least 15ft I’d estimate and they get bigger, and I was just in awe of getting to see one in the wild and interact with it! It was just me and this entity enjoying the stillnesss will never forget that l. They became my favorite ocean creature after that.

Ahhh yeah normal brain surgery you’ll likely be fine as they put your skull back on, my exact surgery I had a portion of the base of my skull removed (and not put back on) and replaced with I believe a animal dura (pig if I remember correctly and not synthetic) to make more room for my brain and well as bone shaved and slight cerberal tonsillectomy. So increased pressure of deep diving more than +1 atmospheric increaser can do serious damage to that area of mine since I’m missing the base of my skull 💀 although it would cause be a lot of pain just to do it anyway since I am so sensitive to pressure anyway now
WOA, a giant manta ray. Now that's a site! I was snorkeling one time, and what looked liked 10 ft below me was an adult Eagle Spotted Ray, which looked huge to me (I've never seen one in the wild). I quietly left it alone. It was just cruising alone. They are one of my favorites too. Where were you for that manta? That's an EPIC moment. An dI though my octopus moment was cool...

I might go diving with sperm whales. However, that's not an immediate thing, there are some slight risk factors to take into consideration with them in particular. I was watching some video lately, and I guy was diving, not sure where, and what seemed like out of nowhere an orca came at him to check him out. I don't recall how many feet away it was, but not that far away. Echolocated him a bit, and then swam off. That would be so EPIC too, but I am not sure if I would be too scared to enjoy it, or the reverse haha.