Greatest Killer Spider Movie Ever!!!

What is your favorite Killer Spider movie?

• Tarantula

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Arachnophobia

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Kingdom of the Spiders

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • The Spider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earth vs. The Spider (remake of "The Spider")

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Spiders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eight-Legged Freaks

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I hate ice spiders I was just wondering why you didn't put it on there to see if anybody liked it. I wasn't saying I liked ice spiders I think the exact opposite of ice spiders.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seriously... Has no one here but me and one other person ever heard of Tarantula?
Haven't seen the film for a long time, but I do remember it. :D You know Clint Eastwood was in the movie, right?

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
Haven't seen the film for a long time, but I do remember it. :D You know Clint Eastwood was in the movie, right?
Yup, that was one of his earliest appearances, and oddly enough, he was the one who killed the spider!

ThistleWind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard of Tarantula (would TARANTULA! would a better title?), and saw a poster going on eBay (theatrical 36x40). Was thinking of getting it, but decided, nah.

yeah, the tarantulas on Arachnophobia did a lot of things.. like mated with house spiders and jumped 10 ft. in the air.

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
I've heard of Tarantula (would TARANTULA! would a better title?), and saw a poster going on eBay (theatrical 36x40). Was thinking of getting it, but decided, nah.

yeah, the tarantulas on Arachnophobia did a lot of things.. like mated with house spiders and jumped 10 ft. in the air.
Tarantula TARANTULA! Tomato TAMATO! Yeah those Arachnophobia Arachnids were pretty amazing, but none of them became a hundred ft tall like Tarantula did!

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If your going to post a poll, try to be patient.

I would much rather read other peoples answers, and not the contiuous annoying "please vote now", "if you know anyone who has'nt voted", etc

Yes I know, I probably got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but it is still annoying.

There somebody had to type it out.

BTW - I picked Arachnophobia

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been wondering that for years! I don't know wat T they used. By the way, believe it or not, Tarantula was a ground-breaking film of its time as it popularized special make-up effects and the matte effect (which eventually became known as green-screen or blue-screen)
Not sure where you get this info from, but it was not a ground-breaking film. Yes you could say it was a bit advanced for the day...

It most definitely did not popularize SPME or matte effects. It was one in a long list. "The thief of Baghdad" came almost 15 years before Tarantula. Also a form a blue screening was already being used in B&W. "The wizard of Oz" & "Gone with the Wind" used this techniques with Matte paintings a good 25 years before the film Tarantula. My background is not "traveling matte" but rather SPME and the film Tarantula is much farther down the list of ground-breaking make-up effects than it is in the "traveling matte" realm. :D

Last edited:

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
Not sure where you get this info from, but it was not a ground-breaking film. Yes you could say it was a bit advanced for the day...

It most definitely did not popularize SPME or matte effects. It was one in a long list. "The thief of Baghdad" came almost 15 years before Tarantula. Also a form a blue screening was already being used in B&W. "The wizard of Oz" & "Gone with the Wind" used this techniques with Matte paintings a good 25 years before the film Tarantula. My background is not "traveling matte" but rather SPME and the film Tarantula is much farther down the list of ground-breaking make-up effects than it is in the "traveling matte" realm. :D
Must someone always destroy my childhood dreams? Seriously guys, so maybe Tarantula DIDN'T "popularize" SPME or matte effects. But it used them more extensively than many other films. For instance, the make-up effects were actually more advanced than many other make-up effects used before it. Through a combination of masks, prosthetics, and make-up the decaying faces of the scientist and the deformations of the test subjects was achieved. Also, more advanced methods than just matte paintings had to be used for the Tarantula's shadow and the background. Again, these mattes actually have a more perfect look to them then those in wizard of oz and gone with the wind, and before anyone asks, yes I have seen both of those movies as well as many more who have used these techniques. One more thing, the mattes used in the film were far more advanced as they were able to capture distance (if one pays close enough attention) and the tarantulas proportions in the film grow as the fictional creature itself does. So you got me with it not being ground-breaking, but it deserves more credit than being called "a bit advanced for the day..."

By the way, I apologize if I sound like a jerk at all. I'm not meaning to I'm just trying to clear things up...

Also, while I'm not an expert on make up, I do know a thing or two about matte effects and their history...

Last edited:

Darth Nader

Arachnopeon
If your going to post a poll, try to be patient.

I would much rather read other peoples answers, and not the contiuous annoying "please vote now", "if you know anyone who has'nt voted", etc

Yes I know, I probably got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but it is still annoying.

There somebody had to type it out.

BTW - I picked Arachnophobia
You're right Ottawaherp, someone did have to type that and I'm glad someone did... Have a nice day!

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm sorry. I'm not out to destroy childhood dreams. I just thought you might of wanted a different point of view. And a point of view from someone who has worked in the area in which you speak.

SPME artists are like magicians in the way that techniques are pasted down to other artists. It's been this way since the art began. Only recently are there schools that teach this art and frankly they all suck. The only course that was worth a damn was the Dick Smith advanced course.

A part of learning the craft is leraning who did what, and when. Could I be wrong... of course. I had the pleasure of working with Tom Savini and others during the 80's and I've been working off and on ever since then. I just worked on CSI, and DEXTER a few months ago. I can say with a high amount of certainty most advancements, from a SPME point of view, in the art. Do I care if anyone believes me? No

If you want to name the specific make-up effect that was of importance I'd love to hear it? I don't mean blue screen cause I've already said it isn't my gig and that for sure isn't the birth of blues screening.

I enjoy talking with people about FX and I am here if you have any questions about it. but please do it in PM as this doesn't have anything to do with tarantulas. My experiences goes beyond reading about movie trivia.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kingdom of the Spiders, though I'm saddened by the number of T's that got squished on the road in that town scene. Shatner covered with T's though - priceless! Oh well, at least the spiders won!

Another of my favorites is "Tarantulas-the Deadly Cargo"

8 legged freaks was okay untill the spiders went all cartoon like with silly sounds. The Jumping spiders hunting the dirtbikers was awesome though!

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well i love arachnophobia and eight legged freaks. the first is more for when i'min the mood for scary movie the rest for comedy. i guess 8legged freaks shows why not to feed wild caught prey:rolleyes: .
i didn't care too much for tarantula, seen a similar one where teen found a huge dead spider in a cave, which ends up on display in a lab or museum i think, wakes up and attacks everybody (forgot the name), another one was where the spiders/tarantulas stay the size of t.blondie but kill and at the end all the houses are webbed in (forgot the name to that one also). but i am thinking about getting kiss of the tarantula (young girl uses her pet tarantula to kill her step mom and terrorize class mates)