Hadrurus arizonensis: Communal or not?

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all, quick question: http://scorpions.isaac-online.com/ says Hadrurus arizonensis can be kept communally in small numbers, but also that Hadrurus spadix cannot be. I've definitely heard Desert Hairys should be kept solitary. Does anyone know if Hadrurus arizonensis really can be kept communally (and if so, how about the pallid desert hairy...and would it be ok to put Hadrurus arizonensis in with my pallid desert hairy)? I'd love to toss another desert hairy in with the one I have. regular Hadrurus arizonensis if possible, but another pallid one would be cool too.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
No real major difference between arizonensis and spadix other than a black triangle between the eyes on top of the head and spadix is slightly smaller...if memory serves.

With a large enough tank I'm sure just about any scorp could be kept communally...although cannibalism could still eventually occur, just like in nature. It is not recommended to keep this species communally, besides, the tank you would need would be huge. My arizonensis that I had dug a FOUR FOOT long burrow one time that it stayed in all winter...wrapped around the perimeter of the 10g aquarium 4 times in a corkscrew fashion before running out of sand to dig down further. Now...put two scorps in there and their love of digging and you've got space issues.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I know they dig, my pallid dessert hairy has connected at least 2 of the 4 hides I started off for him (i've actually seen him go in one and stick his claws out the other..that was cool) and still uses the other 2 periodically (not sure if those are connected as well, but his claws will be at the ready at random entrances random nights). At most I would have a 15 gallon tank for the 2 or 3 of them if they can be kept communally, so I need to know if this guys site is correct or not (that would so rock if it was right).

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm doing a comunal experiment in a larget tank. Since October I've had succes with 3. H.arizonensis pallidus and 2. H. arizonensis. There was initial fighting but now they live in peace. I feed them about twice a month. And they have a least 4 hides. I'm actually looking into getting more.
Eddy

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm doing a comunal experiment in a larget tank. Since October I've had succes with 3. H.arizonensis pallidus and 2. H. arizonensis. There was initial fighting but now they live in peace. I feed them about twice a month. And they have a least 4 hides. I'm actually looking into getting more.
Eddy
That's cool. Think a H.arizonensis pallidus and a H.arizonensis could live together in a 15 gallon tank? I'd like to do that.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eddy
or did you mean the 3. H.arizonensis pallidus and 2. H. arizonensis are all in the same tank?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
YEs thats what I mean. I do not have a "aquatic tank" for these guys it's more like the square turtle one. I do not have the demensions but it's pretty big. If i had to give you a clear picture It's the lenght of the long side of a 20 gallon but it's square so all sides are the same.
Eddy

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YEs thats what I mean. I do not have a "aquatic tank" for these guys it's more like the square turtle one. I do not have the demensions but it's pretty big. If i had to give you a clear picture It's the lenght of the long side of a 20 gallon but it's square so all sides are the same.
Eddy
Gotcha. Well other than height, 15 & 20 gallon tanks are the same dimension. Your tank sounds like its about twice the size (15 gallon = 12''hx12w''x24L'', yours sounds like 24L''X24w''X12''h..or maybe 16''h). If scorpions conformed to the boundries of math, then I should be able to get away with at least 2 in a 15 gallon :) I might just try it.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My arizonensis that I had dug a FOUR FOOT long burrow one time that it stayed in all winter...wrapped around the perimeter of the 10g aquarium 4 times in a corkscrew fashion before running out of sand to dig down further. Now...put two scorps in there and their love of digging and you've got space issues.
Curiosity necessitates I ask this question. How do you know your scorp did that corkscrew burrow? Did it dig right up against the glass?..>The whole way? That would have looked insane if thats what happened.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
funny I make my own burrows against the glass so I can see them altough lately they've been out all day.
Eddy

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gotcha. Well other than height, 15 & 20 gallon tanks are the same dimension. Your tank sounds like its about twice the size (15 gallon = 12''hx12w''x24L'', yours sounds like 24L''X24w''X12''h..or maybe 16''h). If scorpions conformed to the boundries of math, then I should be able to get away with at least 2 in a 15 gallon :) I might just try it.
OH but I'm trying to get four more 2. H.az. and 2. H.az Pallidus.
Eddy

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OH but I'm trying to get four more 2. H.az. and 2. H.az Pallidus.
Eddy
cool. I'd be satisfied with 2 or 3 in a 15 gallon. It would be awesome if I could get 1 of each az, az pallidus, & spadix to live together. We can start a campaign to change Desert Hairy's into a communal species..lol

funny I make my own burrows against the glass so I can see them altough lately they've been out all day.
Eddy
Yeah, I did this with one of boroughs in the new tank. When the sand dries completely it should be pretty awesome

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool. I'd be satisfied with 2 or 3 in a 15 gallon. It would be awesome if I could get 1 of each az, az pallidus, & spadix to live together. We can start a campaign to change Desert Hairy's into a communal species..lol
I've had more problems with other species that claim to be more comunal.
Eddy

Aztectank

Arachnopeon
I have 5 in a 10 gallon that seem to have been getting along. 2.3 group that are all the same size. There’s the occasional dispute on territory and food but with all the hides and vertical space I used they seem to be fine. On that note I am hoping to upgrade them to a 20 gallon.

Attachments

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I have 5 in a 10 gallon that seem to have been getting along. 2.3 group that are all the same size. There’s the occasional dispute on territory and food but with all the hides and vertical space I used they seem to be fine. On that note I am hoping to upgrade them to a 20 gallon.
How long have they been in that tank?

Aztectank

Arachnopeon
The thing is I make sure to keep they’re well fed and that they were all similar in size.