handable tarantulas

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Getting Tagged

True, but even the experienced can and do get bit.. there is always risk, no matter how prepared you are. And right now the topic is about safe handling a tarantula for a beginner, so why not just recommend the easy and docile ones to hold.. :wall:
I still recall my first captive kept Theraphosid. In my mind I have always operated under the premise that I will be tagged/bitten/struck at any moment, so when it happens it will not be a surprise.

To this day, no bites - a close call or two, but no bites. This thread is going in all directions, and I kind of like it. I advocate the thought pattern of "a bite will happen at any given time", thus no surprise or embellishing when you get tagged. as 'Great White' said "My my my, I'm once bitten, twice shy".

If you are "afraid" of being struck by your Arachnid - don't put yourself into the situation where it is possible. Use a feathered paint brush to usher it where you want it to go. I could write much more in regards to this, however my photo of this female C. crawshayi (about to breed) speaks for itself, provided you are not allergic, I assume it is no worse that getting a cavity filled (I am a dental phoebe).

* If you would like to use my images - PLEASE contact me for permission. I don't have time to tag every photo I take.

Now, this is a pet that I don't expect to ever be bitten by - and I take all proper precautions -

Last edited:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is an excellent picture of a crawshayi threat posture!

Vay a con dios, culebra.

If I know the species has aggressive tendencies, I won't try to pick it up. Even with my docile specimens, I will observe their individual personalities before deciding to handle.

Kmatzy1228

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well...

it depends on what you like really. I personally like b. Smithi's. There are good looking, easy to take care of. Very handable, not very skittish. I like B. Auratums too. They are really skittish though.