Handling aggressive tarantulas

awiec

Arachnoprince
Another thing about the term "birdeater' Most people generally like birds, the term does nothing to endear spiders, which already have a bad rap.
Honestly I think there are more recorded cases of Nephila eating birds than tarantulas, and they don't get to the sizes of tarantulas.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
You are not familiar with giant bird eaters? They are the largest species of tarantula with a leg-span of 18 feet, but most only reach 16 feet. They eat condors. Hence the name giant bird eaters.
And here I thought the 300 pound guy I saw stuffing his face with KFC was a giant bird eater. Thanks for the clarification.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Another thing about the term "birdeater' Most people generally like birds, the term does nothing to endear spiders, which already have a bad rap.
I guess it all just some plot to scare people out liking tarantulas. Illuminati confirmed

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hopefully it can take the 'DKS' and 'swamp dweller' with it.
While we are throwing terms out, lets throw the term "true spider" out too. I could never figure out what makes an araneomorph more "true" a spider than a mygalomorph. The term always annoyed me to no end.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And here I thought the 300 pound guy I saw stuffing his face with KFC was a giant bird eater. Thanks for the clarification.
See? THAT'S why we encourage the use of Latin names. If somebody says "Giant Bird Eater' the rest of us don't know if they are talking about your example Chickenovore obesus, or my example Arachne condoramunchus.

cold blood

Staff member
See? THAT'S why we encourage the use of Latin names. If somebody says "Giant Bird Eater' the rest of us don't know if they are talking about your example Chickenovore obesus, or my example Arachne condoramunchus.
C'mon, we all know its just an LP:laugh:

louise f

Arachnoangel
Never handled a defensive tarantula. Only when they run out of their enclosure and over my hands,or something.

I think it is foolish and stupid. Why tempt fate.

I only handle docile species sometimes.

Like this A.versicolor they are sooo darn cute.:love:
ro 005.JPG

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I found a video on you tube of a guy handling and all out messing with an obt. It went on for a while with no incident. I just looked up friendly obt. It made me squeamish just watching.
I've held OBTs. The same T I handed was the T who would show me its fangs ALL the time if it was in its enclosure. It's not worth the risk.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have handled pretty much any T i have or once had. And i only keep asian T´s atm, mainly poecs.
Here is some stuff on my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6uFxZgA9FhqJ5HWK_1NidA

I dont reccomend doing it, there are many good reasons not to do it and pretty much no one for handling them. Only in extreme cases, or if we are talking slings. I dont handle much anymore, mostly just when i am educating people on schools or so. But i do breed alot and i have alot of poecie slings at home all the time, and i keep them in groups the first stages before i sell them. At this time i just use my hands to move them. When there is maybe 50 poecs in the same tube then it is impossible to move them without touching them, so if this is considered handling, then i am guilty of handling 1000 of poecs each year.