Handling my Urodacus elongatus (Flinders Ranges Scorpion)

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Just a little bit of bonding time this morning with the scorpion I’ve been after for so long and now finally have one

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Handling is not recommended, in order to keep the animal safe. Every week I see sting reports and each time they could easily have been avoided. If you want to handle invertebrates, get a cockroach or a millipede.

Scorpions, even the less venomous ones, should not be held under any circumstance.

If this is your first scorpion then I advise that you do some deep research on these forums. Congratulations and good luck with your new friend.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Scorpions are incapable of bonding they have a simple nervous system and ganglia for a brain. Extremely poor eyesight that detect both light and darkness and at best capable of identifying simple rudimentary shapes. They simply respond to external and environmental stimuli including level of threat with automatic reflex and instincts coded into their DNA from millions of years of survival. They are so successful at survival they haven't changed much in millions of years.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
Handling is not recommended, in order to keep the animal safe. Every week I see sting reports and each time they could easily have been avoided. If you want to handle invertebrates, get a cockroach or a millipede.

Scorpions, even the less venomous ones, should not be held under any circumstance.

If this is your first scorpion then I advise that you do some deep research on these forums. Congratulations and good luck with your new friend.
Sorry mate for doing that

They don’t bond , that’s obviously it’s not a puppy 🐶 .
Yeah I apologise for that mate

Scorpions are incapable of bonding they have a simple nervous system and ganglia for a brain. Extremely poor eyesight that detect both light and darkness and at best capable of identifying simple rudimentary shapes. They simply respond to external and environmental stimuli including level of threat with automatic reflex and instincts coded into their DNA from millions of years of survival. They are so successful at survival they haven't changed much in millions of years.
Sorry for doing the scorpion handling mate

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Live and learn :) read around the forum a bit. It's very much discouraged for multiple reasons :) glad you are taking it in a mature fashion.

patrick nimbs

Arachnoknight
O well people do it for views it seems spreading misinformation , every time I open fb or YouTube . I rarely handle roaches but they can take a fall without getting hurt .
Well I saw other people on Instagram handling this species of scorpion and thought I’d give it a go myself. I will refrain from handling them in future.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I saw other people on

Well I saw other people on Instagram handling this species of scorpion and thought I’d give it a go myself. I will refrain from handling them in future.
They're clickbait questers addicted to "views."

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Yeah I saw other people on

Not a problem at all, you genuinely seem receptive to feedback. Everyone makes mistakes, at least you recognize it and act appropriately.

I used to think handling was fine, I even used to handle tarantulas at expos for education. Once I started doing research and got my own tarantulas, I learned pretty quick. Pretty sure I even posted a thread regarding, when to handle tarantulas. That got a lot of heated feedback as well. I listened, albeit begrudgingly at the time, and I feel I'm a much better keeper because of it. The community is here to help, even if that help can seem...unhelpful at the time.

Scorpions are pretty easy to keep and there are plenty of care guides on here. Cheers for being a good sport and may your scorp bring you much joy.

Thanks to the community for sharing their knowledge and experiences, truly invaluable.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Sorry mate for doing that

Yeah I apologise for that mate

Sorry for doing the scorpion handling mate

It is fine. I do not condone handling scorpion they should be respected as display animals such as fish. Also, I like to shoot down any suggestion that these are more advanced animals than they actually are. These aren't dogs, cats, birds, or even reptiles. One of a scorpion's survival instincts includes defensive thanatosis. This can be encountered by handling them or even rehousing them. Please remember, you and your scorpion are not bonding. If the scorpion sits still enough for long enough may increase its chances of not being recognized as a meal. If that fails it will result in a defensive sting, flight, or both.