Hapalopus sp. Columbia

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Okay. Thank you to everyone. :)
You're welcome, enjoy your new addition when it arrives. Oh, and just as a teaser for what to expect as it grows....this is my female (Hapalopus sp. "Colombia/large".) :)

Attachments

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i just did a little digging, and so far my slings are to be labeled as this. Hapolopus Formosus (“sp. Pumpkin Patch"). now how exactly should i label those? the same way? and what happens when i have MMs and need to ship them out? will the people most likely have the same species, even though the name is a little different? thanks for any help

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
John,pretty sure I have some from the same batch as you. Who the heck was it that produced these?Really curious as to what the heck we actually have circulating in the US right now.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Joe Rossi produced the ones i have. check his breeding report on them. yeah the different names is aggrevating. dont want these to turn out messed up like Avics.
John,pretty sure I have some from the same batch as you. Who the heck was it that produced these?Really curious as to what the heck we actually have circulating in the US right now.

Shell

Staff member
Joe Rossi produced the ones i have. check his breeding report on them. yeah the different names is aggrevating. dont want these to turn out messed up like Avics.
Did you see Martins new post in the thread I started? I know it doesn't help a ton, to actually determine what's up in the US market with these spiders, but very informative regardless.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yep just read through that. was informative, but still hard to tell what we have, if any of them are different. hopefully its just the names
Did you see Martins new post in the thread I started? I know it doesn't help a ton, to sort out what's up in the US market with these spiders, but very informative regardless.

---------- Post added 01-16-2012 at 10:33 PM ----------

ok just looked through a little, and found 3 different pumpkin patch breeding threads.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...success!!&highlight=hapalopus+breeding+report

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...ch-babies&highlight=hapalopus+breeding+report

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...(Hapalopus-sp.-Pumpkin-Patch)&highlight=rossi

Shell

Staff member
yep just read through that. was informative, but still hard to tell what we have, if any of them are different. hopefully its just the names
Yeah it certainly won't help tons as far as determining what's going on the US market with them, but still interesting. Hopefully it is just the names being messed up, as you said.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
already from those breedings theyve been rebranded twice..
Hapalopus sp pumpkin patch, and Hapalopus formosus (Hapalopus sp. Pumpkin Patch)

The second name was given on the thread about the breeding made by Joe Rossi, so an obvious step to those who know him would be to ask where he got his stock from and what name he bought the stock as (also perhaps did he apply the name H.formosus). As far as i know, and supporting Tarcan (martin's) star witness statement, there has been nothing published to say ANY varient forms are H.formosus, so any such rebranding is totally unfounded and should be stamped out right now before this all gets muddier - yes like Avics, like redrump Brachys too. Glad we're all much clearer why keeping the same names on traded material matter, consistency of names does matter. It does matter even if you are not breeding, such as when you put a photo of your beautiful non-breeding spider onto one of these forums, with whatever varient name, then others think exactly the same, is it the same is it different, what do i have, what should i breed, etc.

Really nice picture Shell.

Shell

Staff member
It does matter even if you are not breeding, such as when you put a photo of your beautiful non-breeding spider onto one of these forums, with whatever varient name, then others think exactly the same, is it the same is it different, what do i have, what should i breed, etc.

Really nice picture Shell.
Very good point and thank you :)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Hope this helps and use it as you wish:

A while ago, I had contacted Martin & Amanda Gamache (tarantulacanada@yahoo.com), Rick West, and GoTerps (I recieved no response yet from Eric) on the boards with no real concrete understanding to exact specie differences. Here is what I came up with in a recent PM to GoTerps below.

In my opinion, Hapalopus Formosus is the larger or gross "pumpkin patch" which I have in the breeding reports: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...alopus-formosus-(Hapalopus-sp.-Pumpkin-Patch). From my understanding I am now breeding Hapalopus Triseriatus which is the small "pumpkin patch" also many have refered to as Klien (To my knowledge I have the first U.S. sac now).

To GoTerps: I had a few questions in hope that you might have some insight on.....

First H. triseriatus vs H. formosus vs pumpkin patch vs Klien vs Gross ...etc....There is much confusion on the Hapalopus "pumpkin patch" in my opinion. It has been stated to me that the term Hapalopus small, Hapalopus Klein is different then H. triseriatus. However, I have them and feel (as I look at them right now) that through my research that they are identical to what has been termed H. triseriatus lowland by the link below:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...lowland-quot&p=1405807&viewfull=1#post1405807

and by your photo bucket pick here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26238310@N05/4160399089/in/photostream/

Ken has the Hapalopus Klein (in my opinion looks like an immature H. triseriatus lowland) for sale on his web site http://www.kenthebugguy.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=1523.

The H. triseriatus (highland I guess) I have not seen.

The following link below also shared some interesting information on the "Pumpkin Patch" To my understanding they state there is 2 types of H. Formosus small and large ( Possible: Gross, Klien) as well as indicate two types of H triseriatus (Lowland , Highland) . I notcied they don't use the term "Pumpkin Patch" or should I say huerto de calabazas (It helps my wife is fluent in Spanish) anywhere: http://forotarantulas.mforos.com/1208578/7794361-genero-hapalopus/?pag=2

I welcome and look foward to anyone having concrete information to identify the exact differences for all 7 different names we have seen. Please post If you have pictures of differences between: 1 Hapalopus Klein, 2 Hapalopus Gross, 3 Hapalopus Formosus, 4 Hapalopus Triseriatus lowland, 5 Hapalopus Triseriatus highland, 6 Hapalopus Large, 7 Hapalopus Small (All Pumpkin Patches) being seperataly I.D'able....Until then I assume we have: Some Size differences in Hapalopus Formosus (Gross and Klien in question), Hapalopus Triseriatus (Highland and Lowland also in question). Either way they are all BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
cant thank you enough Joe. from looking through the pictures, Shell's tarantula looks mostly like your female in your breeding report. that information is very helpful. we will have to dwell a little farther into this and see what else we can come up with. my slings are still about a 1/8", showing adult coloring good, but will have to wait a while to get better details out of them. anyone else have any pictures or information that can help out?

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well said tom.

Thanks for your thoughts Joe, glad you commented and have thought about this.

Im not sure what you bought the stock as you either bred before or are currently breeding. If you got the Hapalopus sp Columbia small/klein, then you shouldnt call it Hapalopus triseratus, as those come from northern Venezuela, not Columbia.

There are nice pics on Martin/Tarcan's website of various forms, and another.. indeed what a mess. Im just glad mine are still labeled Hapalopus sp Columbia large/GroB, as the original source ..

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Indeed Tom, a nice big pumpkin pie "mess"...remind me to see if your up for another C. Leetzi go later on.

Sj, chime in is appreciated and yes we can add another name as I forgot "GroB". That would make it 8 different names with in our little pumpking friend circle LOL, "sp Columbia small/klein, then you shouldnt call it Hapalopus triseratus, as those come from northern Venezuela, not Columbia."

I had planned on labeling the H. Small Pumpkin as Klein until we figured this out better....Also, I have re visited Martin's site and spend some more time making sure I could I.D the male as the female is with her sac....Wouldn't you know we are 100% clear now and a dead ringer: http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/gallery/#Hapalopus....click on Hapalopus sp. (unkown origin) (mature male)

My Pic : http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/JoeRossi/Picture2259.jpg

It's "Hapalopus sp. (unkown origin) " Now for our 9th name LOL

Well, stating there is no idea of exact local (I will keep searching and honestly need to see If I can find out if it came from Ven or Colum...Good point Sj) I have spoken with individuals with H. triseriatus lowland and it looks identical, but we know looks can be decieving so by all means anyone shoot me some clear pictures of your H. triseriatus lowland and highland spermatheca. Also note Martin does not refer to anything as "Klein", but rather large or small.

Last edited:

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, as a hobbyist with no intention of breeding, and someone fairly new to the "science and technical terms" aside from proper care and backgrounds, I don't think I can be much help in the area of proper names. For now I will probably stick with H. formosus or just simply Pumpkin Patch.

Thanks, Shell. :) And your female is GORGEOUS. I am so excited. I'm also getting an A. hentzi as a freebie. :)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Invisible....you will love them and they are one of the most beautiful T's, but to me the science part is half the fun. Sorry to bring it into the thread as I was asked to, but it is nice to know exactly what you have incase their are others who may want to breed if perhaps you end up with a MM....Please let me know if I can be of any assitance on' "aside from proper care and backgrounds".

With all Sincerity,
Joe

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
All I will add to this thread is I wish people would stop calling them "Pumpkin Patch"
This has to be one of the most annoying and awful sounding common names ever!
-Chris

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Ahhhh it's cute Chris LOL

To quote myself in the first post here, "I notcied they don't use the term "Pumpkin Patch" or should I say huerto de calabazas (It helps my wife is fluent in Spanish) anywhere: http://forotarantulas.mforos.com/1208578/7794361-genero-hapalopus/?pag=2

I will now refer to them as sp. Huerto De Calabazas.

I need to leave now with my old lame jokes....I'm gone

Last edited:

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pleaseee... no more new names, we have plenty enough.

the species 'Hapalopus sp Columbia/small' is absolutely 'Hapalopus sp Columbia/klein'. As Martin Gamache himself said, he just translated the german of this name to the english (ok american), same with the 'Columbia/large' =Gros=Gross=GroB=Groß (i like others dont that last german letter naturally on my keyboard). No need to make 4 species, when its clearly divided into large vs small, with name depending on you language.

Joe, perhaps a solution is to contact whoever sold you the stock and see what they bought/imported it as ... as most (if not all) the hobby material originates from one person in germany.

Joa also, If you also notice, Martin doesnt have a picture of the adult male Hapalopus sp Colombia/small=klein. So, i'd suggest to see that before concluding your currently breeding stock is/is not Hapalopus sp Colombia/small=klein. I dont have picture of the mature male of that either, sorry.

I can tell you for fact that some hobby H.triseratus are from WC in Venezuela (as i know exactly where, when and who collected some), while both the hobby H.sp Colombia/large=Groß and H.sp Colombia/small=klein are from Colombia. No need to google search for that info, im telling you. However, i cant tell you if that means 'highland' or what. I'm not talking about the 'H.triseratus highland' and 'H.triseratus lowland' which i dont know the origins of sorry, though heard those are from Czech sources (at least breeding stock) and Venezuela also, but a different locality from more recent ones labeled only 'H.triseratus.' Those who bought 'H.triseratus lowland' should keep and breed it under that name, rather than do some online photomatching 'research' and rename their stock which has confused everything! Also seems some have randomly jumped to adding the name 'formosus' on several occasions.

ps. Im against the name 'pumkin patch' too.. but im even more against removing the informative name 'Colombia' and details whether its the larger or smaller species from Columbia, whether thats written in english, german or whatever.

Glad to see more spanish..
Also check the chaos on the german forums (im so grateful for the automated webpage translation tool on Chrome webbrowser)
http://www.vogelspinnenforum.ch/boa...452-hapalopus-triseriatus-2-arten/?#post33684
The comparison pics here are worth checking even if you dont speak german.
also
http://www.vogelspinnenforum.ch/boa...elspinnenbilder/3378-hapalopus-spp/#post22939

Im gone!
s

InvisibleFishie

Arachnopeon
I think Pumpkin Patch is cute. But I will avoid using it in these threads if some people would prefer me not to.

Joe, no need to apologize. I am interested in reading all this about the name that I didn't previously know. I just know that I
won't be of much help in this conversation. So I will sit idly on the sidelines commenting when I can and learning something new everytime I log on. :)