Harsh feeding pictures

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, it was a thought. Body trauma can shut down messages of pain to the brain and so the body doesn't register the pain anymore. But yes, shock usually means a complete shutdown and lack of response.
Yeah exactly. Trauma can stop pain messages going to the pain, but this would mean the animal wouldn't react in pain. Because it is reacting in severe pain (vocalising, struggling) it is clearly receiving every pain signal.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah exactly. Trauma can stop pain messages going to the pain, but this would mean the animal wouldn't react in pain. Because it is reacting in severe pain (vocalising, struggling) it is clearly receiving every pain signal.
Yeah, but the point I was making maybe it isn't necessarily pain but numb sensations of being consumed and the terror of being held captively bound in the coils and legs of the centipede. But yeah, I suppose these are reactions to pain rather than dull discomfort and TERROR.

Mother nature is brutal and elemental.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is what happened when i threw a mouse in with mine...

Last edited:

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The scary thing about it is i dont think that mouse was in there longer than 5 or 10 minutes. It was wild watching it happen, it shoved its terminal legs into the mouses face and looked to have blinded it, the mouse started wiping at its eyes and the next thing you know it swung around and bit the mouse, the mouse layed down and died almost instantly. After that it was history, it bit an area on the mouse and then just started munching on it. After it was said and done all that was left was the above.

BTW if anyone is going to jump me about the bark substrate thats just what was laying on top of the coco and peat mixture i used.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The scary thing about it is i dont think that mouse was in there longer than 5 or 10 minutes. It was wild watching it happen, it shoved its terminal legs into the mouses face and looked to have blinded it, the mouse started wiping at its eyes and the next thing you know it swung around and bit the mouse, the mouse layed down and died almost instantly. After that it was history, it bit an area on the mouse and then just started munching on it. After it was said and done all that was left was the above.

BTW if anyone is going to jump me about the bark substrate thats just what was laying on top of the coco and peat mixture i used.
Awesome, that is one nice robust pede you have there. That's another thing I love about pedes is they put their food away quite quickly. You can practically watch them feed in a single sitting and clean up the remains afterwards. Great looking pede, btw, congrats!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys suck! LOL all these good comments about my pede and i had to sell it awhile back because i couldnt have it around my pregnant girlfriend :( ANYWAYS! I miss the hell out of that pede, it was HUGE and healthy and gave me a lot of delight. However ;) my girlfriend just gave me permission to buy a "less dangerous" centipede.... im thinking S. heros castaneiceps!!! Anyone got some for a decent price???