Has anyone experimented with see-through hides?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Whats going on with her :) ?
Same darn thing, only different - Cocoa wants to be out, but the nano-second she senses my presence - BAM, she goes subterranean - I have to sneak up on her just to catch a glimpse.

It used to be worse - not long after getting her, she went underground for so long that I thought she had dug her own grave - I even started a thread about it, and everybody said "don't worry, it's a phase," and of course everybody was right. It was still a couple of months before I actually spied her out in the open, but one day I did notice evidence of activity on the substrate surface, and a teensy-weensy pencil-eraser-size opening in the substrate tucked away in the corner of the container ... it was one of those "AH-HAH" moments. That opening has since widened to the size of a dime.

And when I feed her, it reminds me of the sci-fi movie from the '50's, Invaders From Mars, where the Martians suck their human prey into their sub-terranian tunnels without ever coming out - it's kind of funny actually - I offer a mealworm with forceps hoping to lure her out - instead she reaches through the substrate, grabs the goodie, and they're gonzo - all this in the blink of an eye. And it's impossible to track her molts accurately like I can with my others, because she molts underground, then she either chews up the molt or deposits it on the surface God-only-knows how many days later.

The irony is that I chose this variety of T because all the write-ups claim that the g. aureostriata (or whatever we're calling it these days) is the best, mellowest, most docile, most user-friendly, best for beginners like myself, etc etc, and instead I got a 17-year locust! Granted, she's just a sling, but she's growing ve-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-ery slowly.

I've had her in a deli-container, with a black plastic bottom, terrible for viewing and probably bigger than recommended for a sling her size, so I do plan to move her into a smaller clear container with better options for visible burrowing. I'm hoping that will be a solution that works for everybody.

Gee Fran, thanks for being my therapist! Do I pay you now or will you bill my insurance?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol :D

Indeed we love them to behave as they wish but its frustrating not to be able to see them goofying around :D.

T's as slings do tend to behave more skittish and scared of every little vibration they feel. They tend to hide more,some to dig...Some others to be on the sides of the delis all day. As soon as they get to grow a little bit they will became more calm and out in the open. (Unless you just have the most home body Brachy and Grammostola ever {D )

Keep them warm (over 80) and feed them as much as they take and they will get to grow a little quicker for you :)
Both Smithi and Aureo are extremely docil. You really need to bother a smithi for a loong time before she get to be pissed off, and have never ever seen them showing a threat pose,forget about bitting. :)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just thinking a bit here, what about a red coloured perspex type thing, they can't see red light, so it might work.

I agree with joe though that they'll web it up for sure though
That's an interesting idea, but I doubt it would work. Ts can still sense white light through a red filter. It's why people use true red lightbulbs or red LEDs. If you just paint a regular lightbulb red, the light is still visible to the T.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lots of people believe spiders can see red light ;P
I thought the idea behind a hide was so the spider could hide in the dark....
paul

tarandrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The smithi totally waits 'til you're asleep before she comes out;).

Try misting the substrate under the hide a little bit (without the spider in the hide, of course). That way, she won't really be stressed about it. She'll probably figure, "Hmmm.. I guess it rained," and then sit beside her hide, as opposed to, "Why is someone taking my hide away??"

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I’ve made a couple of breakthroughs, gang … something Fran asked got me thinking – “how big is the water dish” … well, it’s just an 8 oz water bottle cap, but Houdini’s terra cotta hide is on one end of the KK, and the water dish is at the other end, leaving about an inch and a half between the opening of the hide and the dish. I wondered what would happen if I moved it, so yesterday morning I placed it behind the hide, completely out of Houdini’s line of “sight.” Okay, I can’t be sure that there was any connection, but when I came home from work last night, guess who was sitting outside the hide, in all of his red-knee glory? And I mean, he is BEAUTIFUL. :} I bumped the KK and he skittered back into the hide, but it was a breakthrough nonetheless. And tonight, there he sat again – he even accepted his first post-molt dinner, a big mealworm, without dragging it back into the hide … WOO–HOO! :3: So is this water dish business just a co-incidence – who the hell knows? And who cares? And to top it off, Cocoa, the subterranean Chaco, allowed me to remove his deli-cup lid and graciously accepted his dinny-din-din without going underground. WOO-HOO TIMES TWO !!! :3: :3: I don’t know what’s going on, but I like it! And no, I'm not going to put the water dish back just to prove a point!{D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol, it could be just a coincidence, or in fact could be that shes somehow bothered for the proximity of the water dish (humidity).

All the smithis I had were really bothered when the relative humidity in the air were over 65%. I have never seen them seating in the water dish or enjoying humid conditions...So hey, it could be.:)

Enjoy her eating times and feed em up!!! {D ;)

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol, it could be just a coincidence, or in fact could be that shes somehow bothered for the proximity of the water dish (humidity).

All the smithis I had were really bothered when the relative humidity in the air were over 65%. I have never seen them seating in the water dish or enjoying humid conditions...So hey, it could be.:)

Enjoy her eating times and feed em up!!! {D ;)
Sounds good to me - if it works (and it seems to be), I ain't fixin' it! :D

Now about my versicolor ... KIDDING!!! {D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If I can help im more than happy to do so! :)

Heres my little "Cagalutas" :D
She was 2.5 in the last days of may and now is in premoult again (after 2 moults) at over 4 " :)

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I cant believe now shes all the time in her hide!
Did we switch tarantulas??? :D