Heat mat on wood with scorpion

Braden

Arachnoknight
I know heat mats aren't generally advised, but my room gets too cold for my Asian forest scorpion, idk the species.

The enclosure is too small to put the Heat mat on, so I wanted to put it on the side of the shelf, and have the enclosure beside it.

I of course am using a thermostat. Aiming for 80F give or take.

I know this isn't really how a heat mat is used, but I figure if I use a thermostat it won't get too hot for the wood.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Those pet grade heat mats are very low power. I wouldn't worry about it. I tape my heat tape to flat sheets of PVC, just for some extra protection.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Those pet grade heat mats are very low power. I wouldn't worry about it. I tape my heat tape to flat sheets of PVC, just for some extra protection.
Ok cool thank you a bunch. I think at most it would get maybe like 90F but I think thats fine

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
think your better off buying a reptile tank plop a heat lamp onto it rather than the method your planning to use now that shelf wont hold any warmth for the scorp or better yet just use a space heater to warm the entire room

Braden

Arachnoknight
think your better off buying a reptile tank plop a heat lamp onto it rather than the method your planning to use now that shelf wont hold any warmth for the scorp or better yet just use a space heater to warm the entire room
I don't have room on the shelf for a tank, even a small one, as it houses my feeder insects aswell as the scorp, so no room. My thinking is keeping the scorp enclosure right beside the heat mat, so it warms it up on the one side

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't have room on the shelf for a tank, even a small one, as it houses my feeder insects aswell as the scorp, so no room. My thinking is keeping the scorp enclosure right beside the heat mat, so it warms it up on the one side
That will work fine. I used a space heater for a while, but it doubled my utilities bill. When I win the lottery, I'll switch back to a space heater.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
no offense thats just irresponsible and kinda sad you bought that scorp knowing( reads that way from your first post) that you could not provide proper housing or the temps it needs to survive/thrive

Last edited:

Braden

Arachnoknight
no offense thats just irresponsible and kinda sad you bought that scorp knowing( reads that way from your first post) that you could not provide proper housing or the temps it needs to survive/thrive
exCUSE mE Dr. know it all. I did not buy the scorp(reads that way from your ignorant response) knowing i couldn't provide proper housing/Temps. I have the enclosure setup exactly as others have from the research I have done. I have a space heater, but its expensive and is too hot as it's my bedroom. A heat mat is the most economical and efficient heating method in this case.

How DARE you assume I would ever buy an animal without knowing proper care. For shame

Braden

Arachnoknight
You know what, it was childish of me to react that way. I would like to apologize.

I don't like it when people assume things about me especially if they are negative. I would like you to know that I take very good care of my animals and I always do proper research and have things ready to go, before I get the animal.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
You know what, it was childish of me to react that way. I would like to apologize.

I don't like it when people assume things about me especially if they are negative. I would like you to know that I take very good care of my animals and I always do proper research and have things ready to go, before I get the animal.
[no worries man

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince

If you place a nice piece of polystyrene between the wood and the mat all the heat will be directed into the enclosure.
As you said use a thermostat to keep things correct, it'll be fine.