Help!! I made a mistake

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
Hey y’all! So I think my T is in pre-molt. She has been stressed lately since i rehomed her so I wasn’t sure if her behavior was rehome stress or pre-molt.
I put 5 meal worms near the entrance of her burrow and I ripped it up to see if she was going to eat them and she got in a super defensive stance that scared the hell out of me. She’s never done that towards me or a feeding before. So I plopped down the burrow top (I was scared i did not mean to plop it down) and the meal worms are still in there. I stepped away to manage myself but I’m worried because if she’s in a pre- molt she won’t eat them and I don’t know if I should bug her again to even check?? I feel beyond foolish. She’s my first T and this would be her first molt so I’m learning and am aware this was a mistake. I just need advice on what to do now! Her set-up is attached

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member

Mdougherty740

Arachnopeon
if 5 meal worms are lost in there with a pre molt t, you absolutely need to pull her out and either fish all of them out or do a complete re house....this is what a mistake in not doing that will look like once your t molts.

Just got in there and removed the worms!! She had 1 in her mouth so I guess she was going to eat them. I’m going to leave her alone now for at least a month because I keep guessing her behavior wrong. Thank you!!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
next time use all the way dead prekilled meal worms(heads cut off) then zero worries if the worms can harm your t etc. just leave the dead worm at its burrow entrance remove next day if uneaten. also gives you an idea if its premolt or just not hungry. do more research/reading/learning about your pet along with premolt it will save you from making a fatal mistake in its care good luck

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I used to smash their heads until I found a darkling. I cut them clean off now

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I used to smash their heads until I found a darkling. I cut them clean off now
Seems a double thread 🧵 same question.
Just got in there and removed the worms!! She had 1 in her mouth so I guess she was going to eat them. I’m going to leave her alone now for at least a month because I keep guessing her behavior wrong. Thank you!!
It’s pretty uncommon to eat in pre-molt but possible .

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
Superworm beetle
Oohh lol that’s actually a fear of mine!! Even crickets and mealworms!! Idk if I need to worry about roaches but I had one burrow a few days ago and my big T. albo was kicking up her substrate after being fed and well she found it anf had an extra snack😂 can Dubai’s hurt a tarantula?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Oohh lol that’s actually a fear of mine!! Even crickets and mealworms!! Idk if I need to worry about roaches but I had one burrow a few days ago and my big T. albo was kicking up her substrate after being fed and well she found it anf had an extra snack😂 can Dubai’s hurt a tarantula?
I’m not a fan of crushed the head of mealworms yet I have no issue cutting them up for tiny slings. :rofl: Immobilizing them for picky eaters is best .
I’ve yet to have any roach attack a tarantula. But I always remove them within a few days /day . Otherwise they dehydrate.

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
I’m not a fan of crushed the head of mealworms yet I have no issue cutting them up for tiny slings. :rofl: Immobilizing them for picky eaters is best .
I’ve yet to have any roach attack a tarantula. But I always remove them within a few days /day . Otherwise they dehydrate.
Ok thanks I almost dug it out right then and there but it went straight to the bottom!! She must have felt him moving!! Hahaha ur just being a good sling parent!!

freedomisle

Arachnopeon
If you're going to rehouse your Tarantula, just feed it a day or two before you rehouse it. This way you can let it settle in and not worry if it hides for a few weeks.

It's not unusual for a Tarantula to block it's hides entrance - especially in premolt or after a rehousing. I just rehoused my two G.Pulchra's, one adjusted quickly, the other wanted some personal space.

Also I always remove food that isn't taken immediately. I don't want roaches or mealworms running around the enclosure.

G.pulchra 1
20240423_190447.jpg
G.pulchra 2
20240423_190138.jpg

drurymercy

Arachnopeon
If you're going to rehouse your Tarantula, just feed it a day or two before you rehouse it. This way you can let it settle in and not worry if it hides for a few weeks.

It's not unusual for a Tarantula to block it's hides entrance - especially in premolt or after a rehousing. I just rehoused my two G.Pulchra's, one adjusted quickly, the other wanted some personal space.

Also I always remove food that isn't taken immediately. I don't want roaches or mealworms running around the enclosure.

G.pulchra 1
View attachment 471558
G.pulchra 2
View attachment 471559
Hahaha I can’t even see #2!!! She did a good job. But Man Ur big girl is gorgeous!!! Can’t wait till my little Ronnie grows🥰 how old are your 2?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

G.pulchra 1
View attachment 471558
G.pulchra 2
View attachment 471559
Second ones like I’m gone til next year.:// burrowing time . :rofl:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +