Help identify this spider?

bromaa17

Arachnopeon
IMG_4538.png IMG_4534.jpeg IMG_4533.jpeg IMG_4532.jpeg I’ve had people say no to black widow. I live in Tennessee. I didn’t get the greatest photos or the belly. It had two white marks at top some red circles down back and white dashes beside them. The red spots were way brighter in person. What is this? I was thinking northern black widow. Also how would you tell if it’s a male or female? Is the male really not poisonous?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Looks similar to an Argiope ?

View attachment 472563 View attachment 472564 View attachment 472565 View attachment 472566 I’ve had people say no to black widow. I live in Tennessee. I didn’t get the greatest photos or the belly. It had two white marks at top some red circles down back and white dashes beside them. The red spots were way brighter in person. What is this? I was thinking northern black widow. Also how would you tell if it’s a male or female? Is the male really not poisonous?
Wish I knew anything about widows …

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
That's not a widow it's an orb weaver 😊
Come on, this is a Latrodectus species (not sure which one though, either variolus or mactans). Though the pose is similar (but not quite, as it doesn't sit in the middle of the circular web), no Argiope has leg I so much longer than leg II. That points to Theridiidae.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Come on, this is a Latrodectus species (not sure which one though, either variolus or mactans). Though the pose is similar (but not quite, as it doesn't sit in the middle of the circular web), no Argiope has leg I so much longer than leg II. That points to Theridiidae.
I am not good with the Lactrodectus unfortunately it isn't a genus native to my country so I know very little about them . I didn't know they got that big 😍 going down a rabbit hole now I need to know more about this genus 😁
I just assumed it had been moved off its orb web learn new stuff everyday that's why I love ab 🥰 thank you @zsiciarz know what I will be doing today my favourite thing learning about spoods 😁❤

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Jury's out on this one. Possible male Variolus. I'm not ruling out mactans though. Abdomen seems too small relative to the legs for mature female of any L. species.
Now with all that conjecture aside, a nice shot of the tummy and a description of the web is in order.
And... I'm not faulting @Charliemum 's guess at Araneidae fam. going by only those pics.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Jury's out on this one. Possible male Variolus. I'm not ruling out mactans though. Abdomen seems too small relative to the legs for mature female of any L. species.
Now with all that conjecture aside, a nice shot of the tummy and a description of the web is in order.
And... I'm not faulting @Charliemum 's guess at Araneidae fam. going by only those pics.
I am OK with my native sp but still learning all yours 😊 there are just so many lol

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Male Latrodectus spp.

They're venomous, not poisonous. Males aren't a threat to you and 99% of the time neither are females. They're very misunderstood and unfairly persecuted.

Last edited:

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
It could be a male widow or some type of orb weaver.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Oh ok, I was always under the impression it was the shape of the abdomen that determined if they were orb weavers, my mistake.
Nope, different group of spiders.

Widows are in the comb footed spider group (cobweb weavers).

The Snark

Old Timer
Ok, thank you for correcting me.
Spider feet. Comb or claw? Interesting cross overs here. Comb footed are in the cobweb family Therididae while claw footed are usually the hunters such as Salticids, Lycosids and so on. Oddly, the artist architect spiders, the orb weavers, are claw footed in the Araneidae family.

The Snark

Old Timer
I was gonna say, my immediate thought was a male L mactans.
Yups. It's often an entirely different ballgame. The mature female of most species is the poster child people go by. Males often have some pretty extreme variations, in both build and paint jobs. Add being immature can turn things into a guessing game.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yups. It's often an entirely different ballgame. The mature female of most species is the poster child people go by. Males often have some pretty extreme variations, in both build and paint jobs. Add being immature can turn things into a guessing game.
I think its pretty obvious. Like @ OP just leave the poor guy alone, maybe relocate him to a safe dry area. Did he hurt you?