Hemolymph, quick!

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a T take a bad fall and the hind leg was cracked badly and I didn't want to try to even take her our of the cage because of her temper. (Haitian Brown (Phormictopus cancerides)) so she stayed in there and died about a week later. Now I wish I would have taken her out. I figured if it was that badly damaged she would remove it herself, but she didn't. :(

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by crash769
I had a T take a bad fall and the hind leg was cracked badly and I didn't want to try to even take her our of the cage because of her temper. (Haitian Brown (Phormictopus cancerides)) so she stayed in there and died about a week later. Now I wish I would have taken her out. I figured if it was that badly damaged she would remove it herself, but she didn't. :(
Sorry to hear that, Crash. It's no fun to lose a critter.

BTW, did you get my last couple PMs? :)

Wysi

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think this is something we all can agree on:

we all have our own little 'takes' on how to raise these creatures. Some of us have 300. Some of us have 3. Some of us have 30... (and it doesn't matter if youre an arachnologist or a hobbyist!)

The fact is, since there's no REAL one "i am king of tarantula-mountain" person who knows the ONLY way to deal with these guys, we're learning to SHARE our ideas with each other.

this is why this website works. Its not the people (well maybe a little bit is the people)... Its not the location, its not the t-shirts, its not the free slings (though, that does help ;) )..... its the fact that people from ALL over with ALL different levels of experience can get together to learn more about these creatures/this hobby.

yes, there are some people on the boards that think they know everything, but it happens in real life, too. No matter how much you feel about someone as a PERSON, you can still read their information and respect their level of KNOWLEDGE.

I've learned some cool tricks from some newbies, and i know i've passed on info to other members...

Its all about the info.

Let's face it,
there's no "tarantula bible" ( i don't care how much you push the TKG, by the way.. great book, but nowhere near a "bible" ;) )... so we all have to eke by on things we've learned and noticed, and things we hear from other people at shows and on this site.

im always open to hearing other ways of raising these guys. We're trying to learn new methods and debunk other theories...

But I digress... I've been working with my eggsacs at lower temperatures and different humidity levels. I'm also dealing with humidity levels of many Ts, since i think this "85%" is just too much for most species...

while most can be kept that high, i've had NO problems keeping mine at much lower humidity levels. we're talking real low.. Same with a winter cool-off (and keep in mind this isn't like...1 T over 6 months or anything...)

so theres that.
let us know how the T ends up! :)

peace
dave

p.s- don't worry MizM - we all know your T's and Slings are healthy as can be. But i do agree with Arboreal about raising the humidity. That's all though :)

Last edited:

Matt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Guys!

Longbord1 wrote:
just a quick question u know how human blood clots faster when u put sugar on it do u think this would work with a T?
In Germany the textbooks say put some powdered sugar or honey on the injury. That helps the hemolymphe to clot, and prvent any further bleeding.
I think it could be a problem when you use nail polish or superglue when the T molts the next time. The sugar is something natural which doesn't have any chemical fumes, which could be harmful to the T. Luckily I didn't get into the situation yet

CU

Matt

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Matt, welcome to the boards :)

I've never had any problems with the nuskin or superglue, then again, thats not to say it can't happen.

I've also seen pics of people putting the adhesive over the cuts and they seriously put WAY too much on. I think that may be a problem,and i've said something about that.

less is more in that situation :)

i also think problems occur when people keep them too humid and there are clotting issues.. that combined with a messed up leg and a huge bump of superglue could equal some messy problems during the next molt.

peace
dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Welcome Matt! Whoops, no pun intended, but I left it that way cuz it's kinda funny!! I LOVE the idea of flour... never thought of that on Ts, but have used it when I trimmed my dog's toenails too short. (ON ACCIDENT GUYS! ON ACCIDENT!) Guess a little would help! Good tip!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Poecilotheria
I just got a bunch of subadult T's in the mail, and the H. longipendum (Asian Chevron) has a crack on its rear leg and is leaking hemolymph. Should I wait for the leg to drop off? Should I try to patch it up? Its very fast and agressive so I don't think I can do that.
Steve
So.... how is the T? Any improvement since this post?

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: Re: Hemolymph, quick!

Originally posted by MizM
So.... how is the T? Any improvement since this post?
Interesting that you mention toenails and flour. It reminds me of Kwikstop, the stuff you use on cat, dog, bird, reptile nails when you cut into the cuticle too much. I wonder if THAT would work on a T? It seems like it would be worth a try. :)

Wysi

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It reminds me of Kwikstop, the stuff you use on cat, dog, bird, reptile nails when you cut into the cuticle too much. I wonder if THAT would work on a T? It seems like it would be worth a try
I think that would be a very interesting experment. I am not sure how the quick stop would react with the hemolyph (sp?). Since invert blood is so different the reaction would be amazing to observe. I think there would be great benefits to using quick stop. There would still be a need to close the breach in the exoskeleton with somekind of substance.perhaps surgical glue??

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well,shes acting the same. But the guy I got her from said she didn't burrow so he gave her a half flower pot and webbed it up. I'm just going to give her a big plastic cup. Anyways about the T., her leg seems fine after the super glue, it wasn't crushed or anything more like cut. Cut at the joint and a little split on the leg. She isnt eating yet, or drinking.

Man, its kinda strange to see how controversial people can be...lol.

Steve

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, the important thing here is that your T seems to be doing fine!:) Glad to hear it!!!

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
About the whole super glue / nu-skin thing -- I don't think there's really much difference, they're basicly the same thing.

I haven't heard anyone having a T dying from putting Super glue on their T.

Question, though -- Do you think my Usumbara will be able to molt correctly if the last two legs are deformed? (Kind of bent funnily, I can't really explain it...They're shaped sort of like a longipendum -- That funny arch shape.)

And the tarsus on leg #4 is bent at a 90 degree angle..

(He molted in the mail)