Heteroscodra maculata death

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
I had a beautiful little H mac ~2" DLS. It was in premolt so I left it alone for a few days, except watering but I don't even have to open the lid for that. They were doing so well and then just died after molt. I only noticed because enclosure started to smell, honestly thought they were still molting in their burrow. Wisp was an awesome T and if I ever see H macs around again I am definitely picking one up. Feels bad, I'm wondering if there was any way I could have prevented this death. Is it an issue with enclosure or care or is it purely bad luck? Included are pics.
20240207210341_IMG_4751.JPG taken while Wisp was alive and well. PXL_20240410_175457554.jpg PXL_20240410_175509380.jpg

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
I kept substrate mostly dry, wetting a corner every week or two with full water dish. Looking at the ventilation...definitely could use more side ventilation. Got the enclosure with a P rufilata, Rufous, originally and it had no side vent holes. I added some but I guess it still wasn't enough, I am going to add more ventilation before refurbishing the enclosure for another arboreal and I'm going to post again for assurance.

I'm sure I'll find another sling at some point, until then I have an empty enclosure in my heart 😥. Definitely going over my other enclosures to make sure some of the older ones aren't deathtraps like this one was. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, suggestions have been noted and changes implemented.

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I kept substrate mostly dry, wetting a corner every week or two with full water dish. Looking at the ventilation...definitely could use more side ventilation. Got the enclosure with a P rufilata, Rufous, originally and it had no side vent holes. I guess it still wasn't enough though, I am going to add more ventilation before refurbishing the enclosure for another arboreal and I'm going to post again for assurance.

I'm sure I'll find another sling at some point, until then I have an empty enclosure in my heart 😥. Definitely going over my other enclosures to make sure some of the older ones aren't deathtraps like this one was. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, suggestions have been noted and changed implemented.
It’s possible the water dish leaked or evaporated and flooded the enclosure too I’ve had that happen. But yeah drill more holes I mostly do it to stop mold . Cross ventilation.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I had a beautiful little H mac ~2" DLS. It was in premolt so I left it alone for a few days, except watering but I don't even have to open the lid for that. They were doing so well and then just died after molt. I only noticed because enclosure started to smell, honestly thought they were still molting in their burrow. Wisp was an awesome T and if I ever see H macs around again I am definitely picking one up. Feels bad, I'm wondering if there was any way I could have prevented this death. Is it an issue with enclosure or care or is it purely bad luck? Included are pics.
View attachment 470668 taken while Wisp was alive and well. View attachment 470669 View attachment 470670
Seconded on needs much more air flow.

But how many did you keep in there. communal might not be best if that's the case. Are the others alive or everything died?

RIP. They are awesome spiders for sure. Probably just keep this one solitary and with much more free air flow :)

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Seconded on needs much more air flow.

But how many did you keep in there. communal might not be best if that's the case. Are the others alive or everything died?

RIP. They are awesome spiders for sure. Probably just keep this one solitary and with much more free air flow :)
Just the one in that enclosure, definitely ventilation was the problem. Don't have any communal setups, not until I get some M balfouri in the distant future. I'm beating myself up and adding more cross ventilation though, never again! Thanks for getting back to me.