Species Heteroscodra maculata

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, only a year? That's fast. How often did yours molt when it was in the
1" range, like mine? I have only had mine for a couple of weeks.

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you remember what size she was when she went from the fluffy/grey-sling look to the black/white contrast?

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
von_z

Like I said it was already at the 2 inch mark when I first got her, still young as far as I know however it was a petstore animal and theres no telling if it had been delayed/slowed in anyway, though yes it didn't take long at all for me to reach that size. It molted first month, then in 2-4 month time periods (wasn't exact). Maybe the more frequent feeding had an affect on it for me, because she ate quite a lot till last molt where she slowed to one or two crickets every week or so.

clearlysaid

She didnt get her white/black colours or the "fluffy" red leg feathers till its last molt, though she did get progressivly lighter. The next to last was the most noticable difference though.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
von_z

Like I said it was already at the 2 inch mark when I first got her, still young as far as I know however it was a petstore animal and theres no telling if it had been delayed/slowed in anyway, though yes it didn't take long at all for me to reach that size. It molted first month, then in 2-4 month time periods (wasn't exact). Maybe the more frequent feeding had an affect on it for me, because she ate quite a lot till last molt where she slowed to one or two crickets every week or so.

clearlysaid

She didnt get her white/black colours or the "fluffy" red leg feathers till its last molt, though she did get progressivly lighter. The next to last was the most noticable difference though.
Actually, you just said that you raised it from, "sling to adult," but even going from 2" to its current size in a year seems like a pretty good growth rate. I hope mine turns out to be female:).

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aye I did it went through...hmm 5 molts around there while I had it so it wasn't a 2nd instar.

Doing a quick search on growth rate for these T's though on this site you'll get very mixed responses though it seems to be pretty much agreed that they are very food abunance dependant on growth rate. My girl is just more evidence for that assumption I suppose. Seems average for them to mature within 1 to 1 1/2 years from the 1.5-2 inch mark with more than once a week feedings and higher temps (I said room temp but I forget to mention I keep an ambient house temp of ~80 degrees).

As for sexing them it seems like it's obvious right around 3 inches or so wether it will be a girl for most, though some can be late bloomers (apparently mine is an example of this as well).

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
O.K. thanks. By the way, how the heck do you stand living in an 80 degree house? I think I would melt! I keep my house @ 65-69, with my reptile/T room a few degrees warmer, of course.

I should add that that is in the winter. Even with air conditioning in the summer, thought, I try not to let it get past the 70's.

LoganVivisected

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No problem at all, part of the hobby is learning about the T's and peoples experiences with them :)

Haha and it is from being born and raised in florida. Here in VA we're getting 60-70 degree weather and I still wear a jacket outside, I don't like it temperate in my house I like it tropical. During the winter the house is closed up and during the summer everything is open with no air on...My reptiles and 'nids seem to like it though and my girl's the same as me so it's all good. Don't like the temp have a cold beer! ;)

Whats funny is I keep moving farther north every few years, and when my girl's done with college we are gonna see about moving to France or the UK...just keep getting farther and farther away from the warm weather!{D

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
clearlysaid

Woot! I have a handful of H macs but only one I plan on keeping. Sexing it ventrally I'm 90% sure it's a female... but s/he's only, like, 2 1/2"... possibly slightly closer to 3". I really, really want a girl cause, like with yours, they are GORGEOUS. Gives me a little hope that one molt soon that grey fluffiness may disappear, still.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't have any great pics of mine so to save all the eyes from seeing them (lol) I wanna see all the peoples awesome H. macs.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well I got this new H.Maculata and she made my day interesting. I was holding her (she is docile) for about 10 min and when I went to put her into her enclosure, she was on the tip of my finger and turned around and jumped on my face!! She had to of leaped 8-10" and when she landed on my face she went into a threat pose (I saw her fangs) I just stayed still and she crawled all the way dopwn my arm to the tip of my fingers and into her enclosure, I know she did this on purpose just to show me "hey I could have".

Pics:

Hope you enjoyed, Rob

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
holy christ, OH YOUR FACE?! Thanks, now I am going to have nightmares about the H. mac loose in my house jumping on my face while I walk down the hall.

It'll be just like "Aliens"...

Tarantula_man94

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
holy crap rob. U got guts to hold an H. mac in the first place. and then it jumped on your face!!!! u got incredibly lucky it didnt bite u.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
holy crap rob. U got guts to hold an H. mac in the first place. and then it jumped on your face!!!! u got incredibly lucky it didnt bite u.
I have to agree with you there...I got very lucky!! I just stayed very still and very calm and she was fine...I on the other hand, afterwards, nearly needed a change of underwear... :D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
holy christ, OH YOUR FACE?! Thanks, now I am going to have nightmares about the H. mac loose in my house jumping on my face while I walk down the hall.

It'll be just like "Aliens"...
Any plans on locating that little bugger? H. Mac on the loose...eek!! :eek:

arif26

Arachnopeon
Well I got this new H.Maculata and she made my day interesting. I was holding her (she is docile) for about 10 min and when I went to put her into her enclosure, she was on the tip of my finger and turned around and jumped on my face!! She had to of leaped 8-10" and when she landed on my face she went into a threat pose (I saw her fangs) I just stayed still and she crawled all the way down my arm to the tip of my fingers and into her enclosure, I know she did this on purpose just to show me "hey I could have".
Woah...
I didn't know that H.Maculata can leap that high....
If this is the case, i think H.Maculata would "definately" not be my next T...
Read your story just now and i've already felt scared...

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jesus. I wouldent dream to handle a large one! Maybe a sling, but an juvenile or adult! Anyway. Nice T you got there! H maculata is one of the handsomest T:s in my opinion! /Johan

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Woah...
I didn't know that H.Maculata can leap that high....
If this is the case, i think H.Maculata would "definitely" not be my next T...
Read your story just now and i've already felt scared...
She wasn't aggressive but I had no idea they could leap that distance....I figured 2-3" but not that far and accuratly....rob

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She wasn't aggressive but I had no idea they could leap that distance....I figured 2-3" but not that far and accuratly....rob
Rob, my .5" sling jumped 3 inches the other day from one wrist to the vial in my other hand.....those suckers got springs for legs.