How do I know if my GBB is dead or not?

Chaney54321

Arachnopeon
Hi all. I'm pretty new to the hobby and I need help. I got a baby (inch and a half) GBB back in October and it used to come out every night for the first 2 months. But in December, it went into its hide and I haven't seen it since. It is a very deep hide with a weird angle, so I can't really shine a light and see much of anything in there. It is also worth noting the webbing stopped, too. I don't even know if my pet is dead or alive. Once a month, I drop a cricket in the enclosure. They always crawl into the hide, never to be seen again. That may be construed as a good sign, however, the spider no longer webbing is a concern of mine. I know there is no such thing as "normal" with tarantulas, but should I be worried? Thank you in advance.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hi all. I'm pretty new to the hobby and I need help. I got a baby (inch and a half) GBB back in October and it used to come out every night for the first 2 months. But in December, it went into its hide and I haven't seen it since. It is a very deep hide with a weird angle, so I can't really shine a light and see much of anything in there. It is also worth noting the webbing stopped, too. I don't even know if my pet is dead or alive. Once a month, I drop a cricket in the enclosure. They always crawl into the hide, never to be seen again. That may be construed as a good sign, however, the spider no longer webbing is a concern of mine. I know there is no such thing as "normal" with tarantulas, but should I be worried? Thank you in advance.
Pics could be helpful. This is why I don’t use deep containers for anything under 2”. Tend to get lost .😞 It’s probably a goner depending on last time it was given water.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Once a month?? Does your T live in a concentration camp??? 🤣

It’s probably dead. You need to check.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Coming up on 5 months and a juvie, I’d check on him. Have you taken a big sniff by his cage? Any odor?

Chaney54321

Arachnopeon
No odor whenever I fill its water dish. I was just hesitant on checking on him, because I'd have to destroy his whole home in order to get to him. But I guess I have no choice. Just wanted to know if this was common behavior before I did it. Thank you.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
If you can post some pics at different angles, maybe we can help find a way where you wouldn’t have to destroy the entire setup. If you get near enough him with a paintbrush and he’s still alive, you might get him to come out or at least see movement proving he’s still alive.
Also, did he have a large abdomen last you saw him?