How much do you wholesale what for?

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That all depends on your pricing, and of course what I mentioned in the above post. Off the top of my head, really easy to move are: Staples such as B. Smithi, Emelia, Boehemi and others along that range, more mid range species like GBB and some Poecilotheria, Ex. Miranda and Formosa.
Wait, so formosa are selling? I just got a sub-adult female... but from what I see out there, nobody seems to be buying these much, or at least talking about them.

Should I just consider any female pokie except regalis a pretty good investment?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tried to get rid of a ton OBT's to one dealer and they offered me .50 cents a piece. Then again, they were OBTs.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many did you have? I mean still... if you had to vial them all separately, that would suck... but you could have made like $50... minus shipping... minus cost of vials...

ok... so it might have cost you $10 to send them your spiders

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tried to get rid of a ton OBT's to one dealer and they offered me .50 cents a piece. Then again, they were OBTs.
Yep,what blows is doing most of the work,and then getting lowballed.Then you see them for sale for $8 each.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wait, so formosa are selling? I just got a sub-adult female... but from what I see out there, nobody seems to be buying these much, or at least talking about them.

Should I just consider any female pokie except regalis a pretty good investment?
No, not at all. As far as staples go, P. Regalis is one of them, definately a good investement. We just have a wave of them in the hobby right now. As far as Formosa, there aren't many in the hobby for sale right now, only a couple people have them on their availability list, based on what do you come to the conclusion that they aren't selling?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, not at all. As far as staples go, P. Regalis is one of them, definately a good investement. We just have a wave of them in the hobby right now. As far as Formosa, there aren't many in the hobby for sale right now, only a couple people have them on their availability list, based on what do you come to the conclusion that they aren't selling?
Yep,there have been formosa ALL over the classifieds as of late.And as Crow's just mentioned,regalis are always wanted.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as Formosa, there aren't many in the hobby for sale right now, only a couple people have them on their availability list, based on what do you come to the conclusion that they aren't selling?
Well... I've got a pair of regalis... the female should be big enough (they can breed at 6", right?).

As far as the formosa... what gave me the impression that they weren't selling all that well was when I was doing some research to decide if I wanted to buy my female. It seemed like tons of people were posting pics of pokies, and talking about how much they loved everything except formosa. Maybe that's just because they're more difficult to come by. My lady is beautiful though.

I was thinking about getting a rufilata and a subfusca... I'm assuming those sell just fine, right?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I had 40 left at that point. I would have made 20 bucks. The dealer in wuestion always stops by a local reptile show so shipping would have been nothing. In the end I decided to just trade them and give them away.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i seem to remember from one of the long threads someone saying the dealers were offering him a few cents per hatchling. given the large number of hatchlings per sac and the high mortality rate of small slings i wouldn't expect much for them on a wholesale basis.
I've never offered such a rediculous price as a few cents for anything...EVER! That's pathetic :mad:

Swifty

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've never offered such a rediculous price as a few cents for anything...EVER! That's pathetic :mad:

Swifty
Heh! Nice to hear so :)

i seem to remember from one of the long threads someone saying the dealers were offering him a few cents per hatchling. given the large number of hatchlings per sac and the high mortality rate of small slings i wouldn't expect much for them on a wholesale basis.
Yes, that was TODD GEARHART to me. 1 cent a piece for Lasiodora Parahybana slings.

PS: I could try to dig out that e mail , if needed. It was April 2008.

(I dont mean to start ANY fight. Its SIMPLY the truth and lots of people knew about it when it happened. Only posting because I felt I had to since I believed it was me the one he was referring to)

Last edited:

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Yep,there have been formosa ALL over the classifieds as of late.And as Crow's just mentioned,regalis are always wanted.
I just bought a formosa sling from someone on this board.

I have noticed that there are some people selling pokies in the classifieds for WAY cheap. Probably not good for those that are trying to sell them at whatever might be considered the "normal" selling price right now. I could be wrong though.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought a formosa sling from someone on this board.

I have noticed that there are some people selling pokies in the classifieds for WAY cheap. Probably not good for those that are trying to sell them at whatever might be considered the "normal" selling price right now. I could be wrong though.
I agree with the general idea of this. Selling too low brings the price down eventually due to competition or whatever. Unless the supply is surpassed by the demand, the price would not go back up. And that can be terrible in the long run IMO for that particular species. Especially for ones that are not established in the hobby.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think since people have right to put the price as high as they want, and if you dont like it-dont buy it...the same applies here.
No one can tell me for how much should I selly spiders. Sorry.

So as in any other bussines, if you cant be competitive... Im sorry.

ps: You never know when they are gonna close exports. Any price could pretty much go back up. Or cases like with T.Blondi...

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. I know they are only LP's, but thats still ridiculous.

They are one of the best spiders in the hobby, that's just a fact. I understand the perception of not being worth much, but that is only because of the massive number of offspring from an eggsac, and the inability of most confronted with this to house and keep them properly. Some view it as a godsend, and not a burdon. When I hatch these, I try my best to cup as many as I can stand. L. parahybana is a beautiful spider! I have females that are easily 9", and I would not sell them period! I'm not sure if the "few cents" was a joke or "misspeak..(ha!), but that spider deserves more respect than that. Also offering cheap prices like that for spiderlings is not a general practice with most dealers, not with me anyway. I'm not trying to start anything with Todd either, I just kind of find it hard to believe Todd would offer that price, maybe he could chime in about it.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Check your LPS.. I'm serious. I did with the Animal Jungle nearby my baseto sell a sack of P. murinus. They were willing to drop good money for nearly a full sack (at $10 per 3rd instar) and cut a check out to me.. while for half a sack they'd do $7 each store credit.. and for a random smaller number $5 per, store credit. Strangely, I figured they wouldn't take them or would offer a really cheap price. But for them, it's harder to obtain some of the species' we take for granted being common (with the exceptions of G. rosea and A. avic).. and they were willing to offer more money the larger the ammount I offered them because they can potentially make more money if they spread them out further rather than at the same store and cost to transport them to other stores makes buying in smaller quantities obsolete.

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think since people have right to put the price as high as they want, and if you dont like it-dont buy it...the same applies here.
No one can tell me for how much should I selly spiders. Sorry.

So as in any other bussines, if you cant be competitive... Im sorry.

ps: You never know when they are gonna close exports. Any price could pretty much go back up. Or cases like with T.Blondi...

That's completely true, because this is a free market, but the lower the prices go, the cheaper the whole hobby becomes. The spiders are the ones who will suffer all across the country from lack of interest from their captors, to an overall saturation in the market like so many other animals. Reptile shows are good examples of this. I've seen some good dealers that care for their stock, then I've seen the others :barf: The less something is worth it seems, the more I see people depriving them of such simple things as water, it's disturbing.
I'm not trying to start a big thread again on the market prices either, I just don't have the time or energy, so this is just my opinion.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's completely true, because this is a free market, but the lower the prices go, the cheaper the whole hobby becomes. The spiders are the ones who will suffer all across the country from lack of interest from their captors, to an overall saturation in the market like so many other animals. Reptile shows are good examples of this. I've seen some good dealers that care for their stock, then I've seen the others :barf: The less something is worth it seems, the more I see people depriving them of such simple things as water, it's disturbing.
I'm not trying to start a big thread again on the market prices either, I just don't have the time or energy, so this is just my opinion.
+1 When you pay good money for something, you tend to take care of it more.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are one of the best spiders in the hobby, that's just a fact. I understand the perception of not being worth much, but that is only because of the massive number of offspring from an eggsac, and the inability of most confronted with this to house and keep them properly. Some view it as a godsend, and not a burdon. When I hatch these, I try my best to cup as many as I can stand. L. parahybana is a beautiful spider! I have females that are easily 9", and I would not sell them period! I'm not sure if the "few cents" was a joke or "misspeak..(ha!), but that spider deserves more respect than that. Also offering cheap prices like that for spiderlings is not a general practice with most dealers, not with me anyway. I'm not trying to start anything with Todd either, I just kind of find it hard to believe Todd would offer that price, maybe he could chime in about it.

This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE;

I put them on sale on the boards. I got over 2000 and was able to save them all as far as I couldnt see any dried or black egg.

My add was,something like this If i remmember correctly,

1= $5
50 and over= $2 each
And 100 and over= $1 a piece, freebies with all orders.

(Basically I encouraged to get orders of 100 )

Ken the Bug Guy got 300 I believe , got like 50 or so freebies, he was I believe really pleased and I was with im too. He gaveme a nice review.

Some other people ordered too, everyting was great, till Tood sent me the e mail offering me some kind of weird math, finnishing with either 10 CENTS a piece or even less than that.

I told him at the time, very politely, that what was he talking about.

In the end he accepted the $1 offer, he bought 500, and I sent like 200 free.

Thans the honest truth.

PS: I found the e mail.
It was 1000 slings for 10 cents a piece.

Last edited: