How much time do you generally spend on your Ts every day?

How much time do you generally spend on your Ts every day?

• Less than 5 min

Votes: 27 11.4%
  • about 10 min

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • about 20 min

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • about 30 min

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • about 45 min

Votes: 18 7.6%
  • 1 hour or more

Votes: 58 24.6%

• Total voters

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on what day of the week it is. I have 16 T's (well, now I have 16) and we feed the tiny slings every other day, we feed the 2 inch and up but still small crowd 2 to 3 times a week, and we feed the big ones once a week. Last night was a feed everyone night and with feeding, watering, and general T watching, it was about an hour.

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
time spent

I spend a minimum of one hour per day on my tarantula collection

Laba-Laba

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
About 20 minutes on the spiders themselves - about 30 minutes on online stores checking for new arrivals (or reconsidering T's they've had in for a while and haven't sold) and at least an hour on various tarantula boards :)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All day, between chores, Am a single parent to over 1000 kids
may I get a tax break?, would dat be niiiiice :rolleyes:

lostriverdoc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All my T's, Scorps and reptiles are in what used to be our living-room, so we are checking on them throughout the day. My wife doesn't call it the livingroom any more, she refers it to the showromm.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I currently have six Ts, with two more on the way. In a given week I spend maybe an average of ten minutes per day on my Ts, probably a little less. The majority of the days I don't do anything with them, on feeding days I spend more time. They aren't all on the same schedule for feeding, as that I have adults, juvies and slings, so my time gets somewhat spread out on them.

Blue25

Arachnopeon
Time to bring the poll back from the dead for the newer members to vote. :)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
On most days I do nothing but look at them. Feeding and maintenance takes about 30 minutes a week, so that averages out to about five minutes a day (even though I do all of the maintenance at once).

Now, if you count photographs (I did not), that would bump it up to about 10 minutes per day.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If I average it out with all water top ups, feeding spiderlings on Tuesdays, feeding everyone on Saturday/Sunday, taking photos and just generally looking in on them - I average it out to about 30 minutes a day.
I really take my time, though. I often watch and wait until they take their food, so I can remove it immediately if they don't want it, and I try to take my time with photos.
And I just like to watch them do tarantula stuff. I don't really bother them that frequently, so when it comes to feeding I take the opportunity to observe them for a little while and give them a thorough look over.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Less than a minute each to feed and refill water bowl -- possibly 1.5 minutes if I need to remove a bolus. I feed every 2 weeks but water weekly. Watering only takes 30 seconds per T.
Feeding efficiency is dependent upon my already having caught feeders ahead of time and placed them in their pre-feeding holding bin.
I like having everything ready before approaching T enclosures (incl bottles of water and oral syringe (only use syringe for fasties that object to their lid being removed) -- otherwise, I usually just pour directly into water dish with bottle -- esp for NW terrestrials. If I feed first, mine are usually too occupied with prey to care if I refill a water bowl.

BUT -- if there is a question on if T will take food -- sometimes filling water bowl first lets me know if a feeding response is there (I am looking at you G rosea!) I also water first to test feeding response if I know a T is pre-moult and may reject food.

I do spend a few extra minutes, for joy, just watching them eat their prey, do their happy dance, etc.. It is rare here for a T to not attack food withing a nano-second. Once in a blue moon a T will ignore feeder -- and is either discovered to be pre-moult or just biding its time and will take down prey later. I always follow up regularly if a feeder is rejected.

I check on my Ts throughout the week -- and will often do mini-maintenance immediately if I see if there is an uneaten feeder or bolus that should be removed.

But actual hands on time for maintenance isn't long at all per T.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It would depend very very heavily on the size of your collection.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It would depend very very heavily on the size of your collection.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
All I do is take off the lid once a week to squirt water into the dish.
Since I only have one tarantula.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
About 1-2 minutes a week per T, and that's only because I have mostly slings.

92qwerty

Arachnopeon
I voted 1 hour or more.
Im still new enough at the hobby to want to keep watching them even in the day time when there being pet rocks,webs,hides and holes.
I only have 6 t's and various sizes and feed once a week and the 2 slings i try feeding mid week if they take. Watering twice a week and any other maintenence i check daily. But i do spent alot of time observing them, they fasinate me.
I also watch them often in the night when there active as im a poor sleeper. If im awake i go watch till im sleepy again.
It would be more but i work too and have a child.

RonC

Arachnopeon
I only have one. Does it include time spent watching it's burrow?