How to extract one egg sack from one spider and still have no holes in fingers?

Peloquin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've asked the same question before. I have never removed a single sack from the mother and only ever lost 1.That was my fault.
The slings dont wander off when they hatch and the mother wont just jump on them and eat them. ALl you have to do is wait for her to make the sack and then leave her alone for a while.Just keep you eye on her for the sack hatching.
I would guess I've bred 50-60 spiders so it's not as though I've just been lucky is it?
I can see the points being raised but as I said, I@ve never had the problems mentioned.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Peloquin said:
I've asked the same question before. I have never removed a single sack from the mother and only ever lost 1.That was my fault.
The slings dont wander off when they hatch and the mother wont just jump on them and eat them. ALl you have to do is wait for her to make the sack and then leave her alone for a while.Just keep you eye on her for the sack hatching. I just cant understand why everyone on here removes the sack.
I would guess I've bred 50-60 spiders so it's not as though I've just been lucky is it?
well the very first time I bred a spider, it was a B albo, and I waited TOO long! I had 2nd instars dispersing all over the house ;)
So, with a couple of years experience, I may start leaving the sac with mom again!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
It's exciting to get that first eggsac, isn't it? :)

I just had my first one about 3 weeks ago. Luckily,
half of them don't belong to me and must be shipped to Crash769,
who was kind enough to take a chance on me with her big beautiful
boy.

And I traded away 50 of my half, leaving me with around 60 or so.
But then, there are the 32 critters of 4 different species that were traded
to me for them and they're only about 1/8 of an inch. (My new blue
P. cancerides slings are about 3/4 of an inch. I first met them AFTER they
left the sac on their own. I figured Mommy knows best so I left them
with her the whole time).

Congrats on your babies! Babies are fun - even when you have to find
231 containers and get them all separated into individual containers! ;)

Wysi

Gail said:
OK, I got brave and I just took the sack from her and opened it up. It was so sad, actually, she didn't get nasty at all, just kept hunkering and slowly circling the sack in that deceptively lethargic pink toe way. I had to actually put a paintbrush under her and lift her to get the sack.
And now I'm hysterical - in a good way - the babies are fully "spiders", not just eggs with legs, they are pale tan and crawling about, there are at least 80 of them or more, only a couple of dead and dried up eggs - but NOW WHAT? I feel like a momma hen - I'm worried, should I have left them with her since she obviously did such a good job? Will they be OK in the hammock setup? Will the paper towel get bone dry without me noticing? Why were they so active when I first opened the sack and now are "sleeping" - did I hurt them? And WHAT am I going to do with all these babies! It's like the infertile couple that wanted a child and ended up with quinmillionettes :eek:
I'm tired and know I won't sleep, I'm fretting and looking at them every few minutes - GAK, is this what it was like for others with their first sack of babies?

Gail

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Gail,

Know what you mean. That "guilt" feeling.

Don't feel bad, I'm sure you'll be a good "mama". :D