I hate U-Hairs.....

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am completely unaffected to my smithis hair.i was curious so i put my hand behind her and she kicked a lot,and i didn't feel anything.it's pretty cool!

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am completely unaffected to my smithis hair.i was curious so i put my hand behind her and she kicked a lot,and i didn't feel anything.it's pretty cool!
Man you're brave! I was never affected by hairs until I helped my husband water and feed over 1000 tarantulas. There were so many different species in the collection that I couldn't tell you which was worse. Although when we pulled out the theraphosa section, the effects were immediate! Ouch. Without handling any of them, both my husband and I had small and large red bumps and blisters for weeks! It was worth it, but I know have a sensitivity that I didn't have before. I still love them though!

brachybaum

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the very reason why I have made the transition to OWs. I can't take the hairs anymore. I just packaged up 3 Brachypelma Baumgartenis, hairs were flying everywhere in my room:wall:. Even a day later I get new itch spots, uff! Bring on the Pokies{D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A technique THAT REALLY WORKS, but you must be REALLY CAREFULL is to have somebody else have the vacum cleaner hose "close "to the T while packing.
Thats the only thing that works.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the very reason why I have made the transition to OWs. I can't take the hairs anymore. I just packaged up 3 Brachypelma Baumgartenis, hairs were flying everywhere in my room:wall:. Even a day later I get new itch spots, uff! Bring on the Pokies{D
I found a new special way to pack a brachy to limit the hairs in the air..

I took a 20oz water bottle.. Cut the bottom off of it.. Drilled a hole in the lid... Got the spider in it.. Sit the bottle packed cup I am putting her in.. Slid a prodding tool in the hole drilled in the lid.. Slowly work her in the cup..

It works lik a charm.. All the hairs you see flying.. Are flying in the bottle.. Not in the air.. It dont stop all of the hairs.. But it lowers them a bit.. Still alot of itching though.. Could have been worse if I didnt use the bottle..

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have sold of all my nw colection, every single one of them. I would itch badly for weeks, and that was only for cleaning. It was 6 month ago i sold them, and still when cleaning my animal room i get the itch, even if they are not here.

You might want to cut down on the NW T´s if you itch that much. But of course it would suck big time.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That damn tripepii you sent us makes me itch about as bad as out LP does.....I can't go near it now,its the wifes job...

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I'm happy you transitioned one of those B. baumgartenis to me :clap:
She is doing really well and didn't kick a single hair when I made some spontaneous landscaping changes without removing her, which really surprised me.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only U-hairs that have ever bothered me were from Grammastola Pulchripes. for some reason they just get me. So now I dont keep them. Funny thing is im fine with all the other Grammastola

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
I dont know if you have seen when a theraphosa molts it makes its 'shed bed' full of 'fluff'/urtacating hairs! just removing the molt sends that stuff everywhere! i have antihestamine tabs and cream just for that reason! i break out into a hive like rash! most irratating!

QuantumGears

Arachnopeon
I was recently doing some cage maintenance on my G. rosea and decided to pick her up. She didn't kick hairs but must have dragged her opisthisoma some and got some on me. I spent the next three days gnawing on my hand to stop the itching. :evil:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
heh, i am a gnawer, too. my finger nails would shred through my skin and just make things worse

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've been in the hobby for over a year now and only own NW Ts, and have yet to feel the effect of U-hairs. I've poked around in my G.pulchra's cage,my L.difficilis's cage, handled many molts, even the ones of the L.difficilis... I have never felt the tiniest itch! :?

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
My B.smithi(passed away now:() would run and throw u-hairs at the same time.
Nailing me everywhere and never itched.

My b.boehmei would kick one round of hairs and only hit my hand,
yet i'm itching everywhere for no reason.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it took me about three years of playing with a lot of NW spiders before i was affected enough to alter what i kept

interestingly, males, especially MM are worse for me in most species. some species on MM hairs bother me. Brachypelma are worse than Theraphosa. and now because i still do educational shows with Aphonopelma i am getting sensitized to LOCAL APHONOPELMA hairs. males are worse than females... my normal "star" spider is shaping out to be male so i need to find a female to take his place