I need something nasty

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you’re into comic relief, how about an Aphonopelma behlei's slow motion charge? Those guys don't back down. I've had three adult females. All of whom would come out swinging every time I opened the lid.

Johnnyj

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard of psycho rosies. I'll buy that.

--the nature boy
She is indeed. I found that pic. Whats funny, I didnt poke her, prod her, or anything otherwise offensive here. I simply allowed her to walk out of her transport container, and slowly slid that magazine page in front of her, planning to then give her a gentle touch so she'd walk on it. However, she had other plans.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2155/spider5ey4.jpg

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eating is not the real thing I getting, more of an analogy to be frank. It sounds like S. calceatum is more of what I am getting at. I want something exiting. Not just pretty or rear up sometimes, but scary. I wish I still had my black mamba. She was fixed, but still fun.

Singapore is not biggy.

I think the poster wants a LP or a P. cancerides. Is S. calceatum as reliable of a feeder?

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a 7" female named "baby"- a fitting name, although those hair itch like hell.

plus cb are expensive and grow slow. I'll never buy another WC, its immoral. Through pure hypocrisy though I would get an s. calceatum. I'm not sure if are available cb anyway. I haven't gotten around to looking yet

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just wondering why people like extremely aggressive species.
Too much fear = enjoyment?

I keep my T's for the fun of it, not for the fear of it.

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like both. I my pokies to look at, my trap door to wait vigilantly for an hour to see snatch a roach in under a second, I had a lot of new world to show the world spiders arent so bad, and scorps because there cool. I quess its whats makes us human- wanting more stimulation. bigger better faster (more expensive medical bill ;P )

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree scorps are cool. I just bought one and now I want more!!!

bulos

Arachnopeon
I have a S. Calceatum. A 3.5in WC that I found at a pet store. It was missing its first right leg. I have a H. mac and a P regalis just naming three of 15. 12 different speeches in all and my S. cal. Is a teddy bear. Though I don’t hold her as much as I like. Because of the severity of the bite. She is not the monster that most reports tend to suggest. I would suggest a OBT if you don’t plan to hold it much. They thrive in most any enclosure and are frisky as hell. I have had several and have successfully kept them as strictly arboreal. They are vary colorful after a molt to.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How is there even a mention of E. pachypus? I have 3 of them and they are all pet holes, and really not that defensive or fast. None of them even come close to some of the other African or Asian OW species. They are quite timid to be honest, and the first T i have ever used the cup method on. It take a lot of provocation just to get one to rear up (and they do hiss by the way...). I had one i really really made mad by trying to clear its mites off of it with baby powder... it ended up going up tongs at me, and then it didn't even bite me lol.

If you really want something evil, go with Haplopelma sp. (pet hole, if its not... its probably not housed on deep enough substrate), S. calceatum, or to a lesser extent P. murinus. And actually, maybe it would be in your interest to just do a communal setup with lots of P. murinus?

-Nate

EDIT- H. gigas are pretty mean also it seems....

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, it "forgot" to bite you. {D

I do support the idea of a communal P. murinus set up.

An OBT is estimated to be 1/3 of S. calceatum in term of aggressiveness (don't ask me how/why cuz I made it up. :D). Further assume that every additional OBT in a communal set up loses 10% of the last OBT degree of aggressiveness. Therefore, total degree of aggressiveness of a communal set up of n OBT in unit of calceatum agressiveness (U) is:

Sum(from i=1 to i=n): [0.9^(i-1)]*U/3

Therefore, a communal set up of 4 OBT will beat 1 S. calceatum in total aggressiveness.

Sorry, can't help. The nerd in me just woke up. :D

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Euronymous,

might i suggest:

if you are looking for something that massecres roaches and food items, try:
-Lasiodora Parahybana, other lasio species
-A. geniculata, other acantho species
-T blondi (which you have previously stated you owned/had owned)

looking for something swift/aggressive/exciting:
-S calceatum
-H maculata
-P irminia (wicked as hell looking too), other species of Psalmop.
-Poecilotheria sp. (though they like to hide, at least mine did, i'm sure not all of them do)
-Tapinauchenius species. all of 'em fast and pretty.

or you could go with something a little more evil, like Selenocosmia. I had S.arndsti, and i swear, at 1" that thing was already a demon. lol. got tagged by it once as well. fast as hell too.

(which reminds me...genus-wise... did selenocosmia change to Phlogius?)

-dan-

Euronymous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dan- Exactly what I was looking for thank you. I am not familiar with many of those species, so I more time to spend over a computer fantasizing about jumping yelling "Holy S*tt!" and missing opening a deli cup full of godlessness. And feeding like crazy is pointless, unless your trying to get a sling to maturity in a hurry. My Blondi ate an adult hisser every other day and convulsing hopper once a week or so. That kind of sucked. Man was she a great display animal though, and the most active T I have ever seen. Anyway, point being, now I have a concrete list of animals to consider. Personally I think s. calceatum is pretty ugly. But the things that have been said about the species makes me more than curious. Then again I should have gotten a Parahybana instead of a Blondi (the "cool" factor:embarrassed: )
Thanks again

Hi Euronymous,

might i suggest:

if you are looking for something that massecres roaches and food items, try:
-Lasiodora Parahybana, other lasio species
-A. geniculata, other acantho species
-T blondi (which you have previously stated you owned/had owned)

looking for something swift/aggressive/exciting:
-S calceatum
-H maculata
-P irminia (wicked as hell looking too), other species of Psalmop.
-Poecilotheria sp. (though they like to hide, at least mine did, i'm sure not all of them do)
-Tapinauchenius species. all of 'em fast and pretty.

or you could go with something a little more evil, like Selenocosmia. I had S.arndsti, and i swear, at 1" that thing was already a demon. lol. got tagged by it once as well. fast as hell too.

(which reminds me...genus-wise... did selenocosmia change to Phlogius?)

-dan-

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dan- Exactly what I was looking for thank you. I am not familiar with many of those species, so I more time to spend over a computer fantasizing about jumping yelling "Holy S*tt!" and missing opening a deli cup full of godlessness. And feeding like crazy is pointless, unless your trying to get a sling to maturity in a hurry. My Blondi ate an adult hisser every other day and convulsing hopper once a week or so. That kind of sucked. Man was she a great display animal though, and the most active T I have ever seen. Anyway, point being, now I have a concrete list of animals to consider. Personally I think s. calceatum is pretty ugly. But the things that have been said about the species makes me more than curious. Then again I should have gotten a Parahybana instead of a Blondi (the "cool" factor:embarrassed: )
Thanks again

anytime :) i'm sure there are some more that i'm missing... sleep deprivation is gettin' the best of me tonight. i will post or pm you if i can think of any more.

-dan-

somethingbig

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well if you want something that's highly defensive, has a voracious appetite, and will attack you with dripping venom, there is only one obvious choice... my girlfriend for about a week every month!! :eek:

it's a scary sight!! ;P

but be careful, she is likely to get clingy and needy as well so there is a bit of a time commitment involved!

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
your gf is nothing to mine i just moved her bird to the porch and she hit me and packed her stuff

but shes staying:(