Ideas For New T

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I dont understand is that you have an Usumbra and a King on the list and yet you say you are not ready for an ornamental. Let me tell you, an Usumbara will make an Ornamental seem like a baby kitten. Pokes arent as bad as what people say about them believe me. One of my 1st spiders was a P regalis and now I have 5 Pokes and they dont hold a candle to any of the African species as far as temperment is concerned.
IMO the best display species are Brachypelma and even Acanthoscurria spp
My usumabara isnt arboreal , and my king baboon is still quite small .. its just the fac of the cage i dont have a good one yet for an arboreal of that size.. i hear there lighting quick.. but then again... so is spaz (my usumbara).. er idunno i never actually seen one in real life i just heard horror stories lol

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Or get a small version of something you're worried about, and invariably you won't then be when it gets to full size as you know it well, and have watched it growing up... should be all the preparation you need... (not that 'knowing' an animal makes any difference to what it might do next, but you'd of course be used to and hopefully comfortable with the speed :))

But yeah - right from the word go, even with the little ones, you gotta watch that speed - its certainly impressive...
yea i was thinking of getting juvi's.. so far all of the T's i have started off , are, or still are suvis.. its quite nice watching them grow and i get a feel of there personality.... kudos

seanrc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok.. what are pokies? what does that stand for? ive only heard the term on this site... *der*

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id say go with Nhandu chromatus. He did burrow tell he was 1.5" but after that he was out in the open all the time. my Nhandu chromatus at 3" is always on display and great fun to watch eat. Nhandu chromatus has beautiful colors,is a fast grower, and is always ready to eat.

Another one of my fav. are the Holothele incei who web and burrow like crazy but you can usually see it sitting just outside its burrow tell it feels vibrations and runs inside. I love their colors and the one I had changed his cage every day there was always new webbing up or new tunnels made.
scott

P.S. Pokies = Poecilotheria (sp.)