Injury, rupture, just poop?

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the good news!

Out of curiosity, what did that injury look like on the molt?

Last edited:

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats great!

They can be so hardy and sometimes fragile

Guess we will never know what they will do in any situation haha

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
How cool that the spider made it! And I'll add that you have a pretty cool shop-owner as well...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Congrats on the good news!

Out of curiosity, what did that injury look like on the molt?
The abdomen was pretty torn up, so I couldn't give you an accurate description. I was expecting it to look sort of like a hole punch, but I couldn't make out an actual tear anywhere.

And as for the shop, I love this place. Been going there since I was a kid - Exotic Pets in Las Vegas.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The abdomen was pretty torn up, so I couldn't give you an accurate description. I was expecting it to look sort of like a hole punch, but I couldn't make out an actual tear anywhere.

And as for the shop, I love this place. Been going there since I was a kid - Exotic Pets in Las Vegas.
I was kind of expecting it to look like a hole punch as well, and I was curious about the protrusion too.
Eh. All's well that ends well!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Delighted your T moulted without issue. Looking at your pix when you first posted, I held out little hope for a successful moult. Nice to be pleasantly surprised!

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Just goes to show, euthanasia should always be avoided until the worst occurs.

Also, this backs up my argument that when close to a molt, avoid the superglue solution. You never know when the spider may actually pull through, and it seems to me the superglue could just complicate things by sticking together things that should not be sticking...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Also, this backs up my argument that when close to a molt, avoid the superglue solution. You never know when the spider may actually pull through, and it seems to me the superglue could just complicate things by sticking together things that should not be sticking...
Given the risks associated with superglue, I feel it's only really an option when the spider will immediately die otherwise. If there is a bad rupture, then yes, go ahead and use it. Frankly, an owner would have nothing to lose, as the spider will die without it regardless. But as you said, in this instance (with no active bleeding), I'm completely on your side.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I've been quietly following this story and hoping for the best. So glad to hear that your girl has recovered! :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
And here's that picture I promised. I tried getting one of her future mate, but he's terrified of the flash on the camera. The best I could get is a blur.

She's beautiful! She developed this curly hair on the carapace, it's very cool looking.

11233183_1687013644868798_7808619294838652057_o.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
And here's that picture I promised. I tried getting one of her future mate, but he's terrified of the flash on the camera.
Interesting. I've wondered if anybody has ever had a spider react adversely to a flash. None of mine have ever even twitched.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Interesting. I've wondered if anybody has ever had a spider react adversely to a flash. None of mine have ever even twitched.
A few of mine do - C. darlingi, P. murinus, A. calchodes, B. vagans. My camera is terrible for taking pictures of spiders. To focus, it does a long flash, and then it does three quick flashes to actually take the picture. It looks like a strobe light going off, so I don't blame them for being startled. The majority of my good pictures are of them eating, as this is when they don't seem to care very much.

Pancakensyrup

Arachnosquire
So glad she pulled through and a free spider to boot

I don't use my flash when taking thier photos I try to get as much natural light in as possible or turn other light sources on...not only are they less likely to be scared flashes have a tendency to wash colour out the pic lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, I prefer natural light too, but that isn't always practical.
Someone with education in photography, please weigh in, because I'd love to know.

I simply don't get adequate resolution without the flash, whether it be with my $300 DSLR or my phone camera. If there's no flash, the resolution on macro photos is garbage. So, of course, my flash is always on. If someone knows how to fix this, I'm all ears.