Interesting hunting behavior..

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone, as I’ve said recently I picked up some N. incei slings, a pair. I have one that is a suspect male my girlfriend nicknamed “Jittie” and a suspect female my girlfriend nicknamed “Toogie”. Toogie immediately burrowed and covered it up with web, she was pretty fat already so I’m assuming she’s in premolt and I’m letting her be. Jittie, the suspect male is constantly out and is a very heavy webber.

However something interesting I noticed was with Jittie’s hunting patterns. I dropped a mealworm on his web to which he ran away (go figure!) but I watched in awe out of the corner of my eye as he turned around, and slowly motioned towards the worm, as if not to “spook it”. This hunting strategy reminded me much like a cat and really intrigued me, because out of all the tarantula’s I’ve owned I’ve never seen one exhibit such behavior. I did take a video. Which I will link below. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

Last edited:

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Hello everyone, as I’ve said recently I picked up some N. incei slings, a pair. I have one that is a suspect male my girlfriend nicknamed “Jittie” and a suspect female my girlfriend nicknamed “Toogie”. Toogie immediately burrowed and covered it up with web, she was pretty fat already so I’m assuming she’s in premolt and I’m letting her be. Jittie, the suspect male is constantly out and is a very heavy webber.

However something interesting I noticed was with Jittie’s hunting patterns. I dropped a mealworm on his web to which he ran away (go figure!) but I watched in awe out of the corner of my eye as he turned around, and slowly motioned towards the worm, as if not to “spook it”. This hunting strategy reminded me much like a cat and really intrigued me, because out of all the tarantula’s I’ve owned I’ve never seen one exhibit such behavior. I did take a video. Which I will link below. Any thoughts on this?
Nothing out of the ordinary. It got spooked initially, realized it was food and slowly went for it.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I love how at the end he goes all murderous on it, as if he wasn't initially scared of it 🤣🤣🤣

I notice a lot of "cat like" nuances too, why I love them so much

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
My N fasc initially runs, too. When you’re that small, it’s probably the safest bet.

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
Video doesn’t work. With that said my female Incei is quite the hunter and slowly stalks its prey before pouncing.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Video doesn’t work. With that said my female Incei is quite the hunter and slowly stalks its prey before pouncing.
A few people said it worked, a few said it didn't lol. It's pretty obvious what happened though, just was cool to get an actual video this time!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
A few people said it worked, a few said it didn't lol. It's pretty obvious what happened though, just was cool to get an actual video this time!
How did you upload it/append it to the post and with what device, maybe there's a reason only some of us could. I'm viewing in chrome on a Pixel 6

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Nice Video...
Slow, Cautious, Approach...what is this tasty morsel?

Last edited: