Is it possible to influence temperament?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend's adult female rosea slammed me in the hand with her fangs, it certainly hurt, it's very uncomfortable to have 2 1/2 inch fangs go through your skin. Granted the wound had swelled back down by the next day but it still was not pleasant. Which is why I decided not to get a rosea when I got into tarantulas and why I don't handle, once was enough for me.
Regarding that G. rosea's fangs...I think you might be exaggerating a wee bit.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Regarding that G. rosea's fangs...I think you might be exaggerating a wee bit.
1/2 inch fangs is not out of the question for a 5-6 inch spider, I said she had 2 of them, not that they were 2 1/2 inches. I supposed I should change that so people aren't confused

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
1/2 inch fangs is not out of the question for a 5-6 inch spider, I said she had 2 of them, not that they were 2 1/2 inches. I supposed I should change that so people aren't confused
lol 2.5" fangs would hurt like a b*tch lmfao
If they were that long it would go right through my hand xD

Spiderella

Arachnopeon
So yeah ,I think you can.It works on my overly skittish rosie and pinkie .When my rosie is in the dark he climbs (I stop him) and when he is in light he likes the ground.When up to something he is docile when not he is skittish.And my pinkie is Higly agressive eitheir way:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::eek:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, I see what you meant. My mistake.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
Harmless? I wouldn't call getting two large fangs thru your finger harmless. There's no guarantee that they won't hang on either.
Last time I had two fangs in my hand,they were attached to a copperhead! Damn,did my kidneys hurt the next day:cry:

Skrupo

Arachnopeon
It's not the fangs I'm worried about. LP is going to have big ones, I'm sure of it, but getting your hand bitten a little is only a minor injury. Not much
worse than poking yourself accidentaly with a knife or something similar. But at least LPs bite reports claim pretty mild reactions. OBT, or many other OW species would be far less pleasant. That's why I'm not too keen on having one of the more venomous Ts just yet.
BTW, I was cleaning her water dish today, and she was quite cool about it. She came closer to investigate but didn't attempt to strike. I was pleasantly surprised, but I'm still not going to let my guard down. maybe she's just being sneaky :)

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
BTW, I was cleaning her water dish today, and she was quite cool about it. She came closer to investigate but didn't attempt to strike. I was pleasantly surprised, but I'm still not going to let my guard down. maybe she's just being sneaky :)
Wise. Never get complacent, because with wild animals you can never be sure. A spider who is chill and complacent 99% of the time may freak out for reasons we don't know that other 1%.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Wise. Never get complacent, because with wild animals you can never be sure. A spider who is chill and complacent 99% of the time may freak out for reasons we don't know that other 1%.
It's the 1% of the time where you get nailed and separates the ready from those whom are not. 99% of the time my pokies will not move but the one time they do decide to book it I have to be ready with a cup or the lid before things get out of hand.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
It's the 1% of the time where you get nailed and separates the ready from those whom are not. 99% of the time my pokies will not move but the one time they do decide to book it I have to be ready with a cup or the lid before things get out of hand.
Agreed! I never even open my GBB without a cup and card ready for recapture if necessary. With any luck it'll never be required... But I don't want the one time I need it to be the time I don't have it. Beter safe than sorry, to use the trite adage.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Agreed! I never even open my GBB without a cup and card ready for recapture if necessary. With any luck it'll never be required... But I don't want the one time I need it to be the time I don't have it. Beter safe than sorry, to use the trite adage.
I'm guessing it's a sling or a juvie? Adults are a lot calmer and only get upset if you really cause a ruckus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can't influence their behavior in any meaningful way like you can with mammals or birds for example.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The best way I've found to influence the behavior of my Ts is to pretty much leave them to their own devices. Give them appropriate set ups and leave them alone. Minimal disturbance = calm spiders. :)

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I'm guessing it's a sling or a juvie? Adults are a lot calmer and only get upset if you really cause a ruckus.
Yeah, she's a sling -- but I've always done that for ALL my spiders, even my old B smithi in the zoo days. I'd far rather have the stuff and not need it than not have it the one time I do.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, she's a sling -- but I've always done that for ALL my spiders, even my old B smithi in the zoo days. I'd far rather have the stuff and not need it than not have it the one time I do.
I understand your reasoning, I'm just letting you know that they're more laid back as adults.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I understand your reasoning, I'm just letting you know that they're more laid back as adults.
Gotcha. Yeah, I know that; it's one of the reasons I chose this particular spider as my "getting back into things" species. I wanted something that'd be on the chill side. C cyaneopubescens were around when i was hobbying in the 90s but it wasn't as easy to get a hold of them, so I always wanted one. Of course the problem with hanging out here is that there are now like 6 others I also want, but I promised my husband -- just the one.

Skrupo

Arachnopeon
True enough she's usually active but calm and moving slowly...digging and going about her bussiness. Problems start as soon as I try to remove an old bolus. But I'm slowly learning to deal with her. I guess it was just a bit more than I was prepared for...after my only experience with a sweet tempered BS