Is my tarantula about to molt?

pishcakes

Arachnopeon
Hey all you Arachnid lovers! I had a quick question regarding my curly hair.

I normally feed her on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I've only had her a few weeks and she has eaten 3 times since I've had her. You know, I'll offer her up some food and if she doesn't eat it by the next day, I take it out.

Well, she didn't want to eat Saturday, and she didn't want to eat Tuesday. She's been not moving around too much, and had been laying web everywhere. Up on her hide, to the roof, she even covered the entrance to her hide so she can't even get in, lol.

Also, she has a bald spot ever since I got her. I know these are all signs of a molt coming, but is it possible there is something else going on?

My girlfriend and I really enjoy handling her, but if she's about to molt, I know it's best to just leave her be.

Thanks!

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on your Tliltocatl,
Sounds like She's Fed Up.
Suggest Not Handling Her.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
First off, refusal of food is a good indicator for a sling...but a bald spot absolutely is not a sign of anything but hair flicking.

Lastly, handling is an extremely poor practice with a host of potentially terrible issues and not a single positive for your t.

Post a pic of the sling....pre molt can be pretty obvious as the skin will blacken and get a stretched out shiny look to it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I would read this guide welcome to ab.
Why I don’t risk handling

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
It may also not be hungry because of how frequently it is being fed. I feed even my smallest slings once a week. Juveniles to adults may go 2-4 weeks, depending on circumstances. And if I have a T in pre-molt with a big fat abdomen, I don't feed until after they molt. I didn't feed my G. pulchra juvenile (under 2") for at least two months while it was in pre molt--it just molted this week with no issues.

Glad you're enjoying, they're cool Ts. I do agree with everything mentioned above about handling, and recommend you give real consideration to changing that part of your routine.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey all you Arachnid lovers! I had a quick question regarding my curly hair.

I normally feed her on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I've only had her a few weeks and she has eaten 3 times since I've had her. You know, I'll offer her up some food and if she doesn't eat it by the next day, I take it out.

Well, she didn't want to eat Saturday, and she didn't want to eat Tuesday. She's been not moving around too much, and had been laying web everywhere. Up on her hide, to the roof, she even covered the entrance to her hide so she can't even get in, lol.

Also, she has a bald spot ever since I got her. I know these are all signs of a molt coming, but is it possible there is something else going on?

My girlfriend and I really enjoy handling her, but if she's about to molt, I know it's best to just leave her be.

Thanks!
It sounds overfed. Post a picture.

Handling is a bad practice.