Is my tarantula dead or molting?

zero1989

Arachnopeon
Hi,
I hope im posting in correct thread, I am new to keeping tarantulas and I would like to know if mine is molting or dead? I attached photo for reference. Any help I'd appreciated

Attachments

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Its an adult male, so he won't really be molting anymore....

once they reach sexual maturity their time on this earth is limited...

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
You can try a drop of water on his mouth and see if he reacts. He may be trying to molt again, but mature males often don’t survive that. As Wolfram said, once they mature, their time clock starts ticking.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Molt. But if he’s a MM (I see emboli) he’s not likely to succeed. Thus is nature… so sorry if he passes. Lots of love your way!

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I see hooks and emboli so def a MM. There is a slim chance he may not pass but successfully molt and live a while longer. It’s pretty rare, but can happen. If not I am sure you have him a good run.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see hooks and emboli so def a MM. There is a slim chance he may not pass but successfully molt and live a while longer. It’s pretty rare, but can happen. If not I am sure you have him a good run.
This actually happened to me once. It was probably my second tarantula and my first male. When he had his final molt and started making a sperm web, I freaked out and I thought he was trying to commit suicide. L O L! I called my friend and made her drive over to my house cause I was hysterical. I learned something that day ha ha. But, he did try to molt as a mature male. He was on his back for a few hours, and then just flipped over like nothing had happened and lived out the rest of his life in peace. Nature is strange in those ways.