Is there money to be made??

SuicidalSock

Arachnopeon
Hey,

Just a question. Is there money to be made in breeding tarantulas?

I mean, providing high quality, well looked after T's, with a great service?

Or is the money made just enough to cover costs etc and breeding and selling slings is just a different part of the hobby??

Just wondering, as I would like to start breeding and selling, but I would like to make abit of extra cash on the side aswell ;0)

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
from what I hear not really much money ....really its just the love and the passion for T's ..Im sure there are sucess stories though :D so if it's what you love , go for it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With the exception of maybe one or two people, nobody who breeds tarantulas has quit their job to do so. There isn't enough money to be made unless you are importing stuff cheaply and have a very large selection, not just tarantulas.

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What Joe said. very few people have been able to make a living by breeding animals. importers and wholesalers deal in large volume and few of them breed much if anything. a lot of breeders break even, some turn a small profit, and others dont even break even. it is pretty rare for someone to make a GOOD living from breeding animals unless its a very large scale operation. most breeders do it for the love of the animal and the love of the hobby, and still maintain regular day jobs.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A bit like the music industry, you might have sporadic income but nothing constant unless you are a big name...

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
My husband wants me to breed for money. Too bad for him that I don't care and do it for the good of the hobby only. :p

Using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S.

Guy Wood

Arachnopeon
I would guess it depends on the species. For example, B. smithi are very expensive in the Uk because they have to be captive bred. I guess if you bred 100 and could sell them for £30 each at 1 1/2" you'd make some money. Would take some patience though :D.

SuicidalSock

Arachnopeon
I think I will do it for the love and if abit of money comes my way then its a bonus!

Arachnophobes

Arachnopeon
Personally I think there's definitely money to be made if you breed the right species. I have bred more than a handful of species, and they were all done in the evenings after getting off my day job. All my feeding sessions are done at night, as well as transferring and upkeep. I would imagine that you would need a collection of tens of thousands of tarantulas to justify having to quit your day job for this, and even then you could probably spread out the feeding and upkeep over the week nights.

When it's all said and done, money aside, I'm sure myself and most of you do this more for the satisfaction rather than the cash. :)

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
Personally, I hope to start breeding in the next two years, but even then it would only be for trying something new that I'm sure I would enjoy and to have the experience of it. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to acquire breeding pairs or mates for the T's that I only have one of, but if it comes down to me having both a MM and MF of a species that I've raised I'll give it a shot. I'd probably do some combination of selling locally, trading, and giving freebies out as well as keeping some of the babies for myself, but I wouldn't expect to make a living doing it.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Personally, I hope to start breeding in the next two years, but even then it would only be for trying something new that I'm sure I would enjoy and to have the experience of it. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to acquire breeding pairs or mates for the T's that I only have one of, but if it comes down to me having both a MM and MF of a species that I've raised I'll give it a shot. I'd probably do some combination of selling locally, trading, and giving freebies out as well as keeping some of the babies for myself, but I wouldn't expect to make a living doing it.
If you're hoping to just have a MM and recently molted female in a collection by chance, that'll be pretty difficult. It can be done by controlling their feeding to try to time it right if you have a pair, but it's not simple. There's a reason why people trade MMs, timing is critical.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
Someday I will start breeding tarantulas, but it will just be for the fun of it.

~Dano

Sweepstakes

Arachnopeon
I would also be trading around the MM's I do get and don't have females for and obtaining MM's on trades that I have females of the species I am interested in breeding. I didn't mean I was leaving it all up to luck hehe my bad.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone that breeds less common stuff,and a tons of it,and sells for high prices is making money. That is just common sense.Too many people around here claim to not make anything breeding,but if you look at the prices of things that they breed for free you would see that they are doing better than they let on.Much better.....Once you make enough to cover the price of the breeding pair/housing it is all profit after that.