Is this illegal??

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The laws vary by state, and in some cases, by city or county. For instance, California and Hawaii are the only two states that have a ferret ban. California is particularly stupid, you're allowed to have under an ounce of pot, but you can't keep ferrets, hedgehogs, or any venomous reptile.:mad: Hawaii has a valid point, introduced species decimate the delicate ecosystem. You aren't allowed to even keep snakes there.

This sounds like a group of people who are uninformed and don't approve of the animals you keep and/or sell. Their claims about expos are reminiscent of PETA, the terrorist animal right group!{D

Get on the internet and check the laws in your specific area. If you can't find anything, call your local Humane Society or Animal Control. They are more than happy to help, and you can remain anonymous. Your best defense is knowledge, the next time these people spout off to you, you can quote a reliable source and tell THEM what the laws are.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hawaii has a valid point, introduced species decimate the delicate ecosystem.

When us white folks first began our invasion of Hawaii, rats were accidentally introduced because they were stowaways on the ships. We decided to combat this problem by introducing the mongoose.

Well, rats are nocturnal, and the mongoose is diurnal. :wall: :wall:

So the rats were never really contained until cats came along, and the mongoose is the main predator of Hawaii's now endangered state bird, the Nene Goose.

Go us.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
When us white folks first began our invasion of Hawaii, rats were accidentally introduced because they were stowaways on the ships. We decided to combat this problem by introducing the mongoose.

Well, rats are nocturnal, and the mongoose is diurnal. :wall: :wall:

So the rats were never really contained until cats came along, and the mongoose is the main predator of Hawaii's now endangered state bird, the Nene Goose.

Go us.
When I lived there, I saw a few mongoose. Cute little buggers, but yeah, they don't belong there. Australia has tons of examples of how we've introduced really harmful species, but that is already the topic of another thread.

IMHO, when people make claims about the species you personally keep, you need to be prepared to answer with an educated reply. Research, learn, be informed!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The only Americans I know of in 1492 were the native american indians. What civilization did they destroy?:confused:
1492 is the year Columbus arrived and spread the word of a beautiful new world to rape and pillage.

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1492 is the year Columbus arrived and spread the word of a beautiful new world to rape and pillage.
Ahhh- then it WASN'T americans who destroyed civilizations in/since 1492! Columbus was a Genoese funded by the Queen of Spain.;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ahhh- then it WASN'T americans who destroyed civilizations in/since 1492! Columbus was a Genoese funded by the Queen of Spain.;)
Yes he was, but all those who settled here after he discovered it called themselves Americans. So yeah, it basically all began in 1492.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I lived there, I saw a few mongoose. Cute little buggers, but yeah, they don't belong there. Australia has tons of examples of how we've introduced really harmful species, but that is already the topic of another thread.

IMHO, when people make claims about the species you personally keep, you need to be prepared to answer with an educated reply. Research, learn, be informed!!

We actually had one as a pet! She got caught in my dad's restaurant when she was a baby; we kept her for a couple weeks, then let her go outside. She ended up sticking around. She would actually come up to the front porch and lay there during the day. We would feed her raw chicken and other meats. My mom was actually able to pick her up and hold her, but my sister and I could only pet her. We were both pretty young at the time.

She had three (I think) litters while we were there. A couple of the offspring would venture up the porch with her, but they remained very wild. She stopped coming around eventually...we figure she was either hit by a car or died some other way. But she was a lot of fun when we had her.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
We actually had one as a pet! She got caught in my dad's restaurant when she was a baby; we kept her for a couple weeks, then let her go outside. She ended up sticking around. She would actually come up to the front porch and lay there during the day. We would feed her raw chicken and other meats. My mom was actually able to pick her up and hold her, but my sister and I could only pet her. We were both pretty young at the time.

She had three (I think) litters while we were there. A couple of the offspring would venture up the porch with her, but they remained very wild. She stopped coming around eventually...we figure she was either hit by a car or died some other way. But she was a lot of fun when we had her.
Oh how cool is THAT? I think they get a bad rap, like possums. They really aren't viscious animals, just doin' what they need to survive. What a great experience, I've never even touched one.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get a kick out of possums. We have tons of them here in Florida. They growl and hiss but they are hilarious because they look completely retarded, which makes them difficult for me to take seriously.