Is this normal?

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
I picked up a pink toe from pet smart yesterday. Yes I know what some will say. But she had been there for two months and seemed stressed. I can't save them all but I saw her and couldn't forget her.

She was slow moving but got into her new enclosure well. I supplied water and left her be. This morning she seemed to want breakfast so I offered her a cricket and she quickly got it. So clearly her appetite isn't terrible.

She's kinda just chilling on the side (which my c versicolor does too but she's got her legs pulled in. Not like the death curl. But like she's trying to make herself smaller? The room is 70° and they're on my bookshelf with space in between and on either side for ventilation. The weather is nice so my window was open to promote fresh air.

Posted a pic so y'all can see what I mean. Normal? PXL_20240417_213533923.NIGHT.jpg PXL_20240417_212616109.MP.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
is there ventilation on the lower parts of the enclosure...near the ground?

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
Not really just the high sides and whatever air is getting in through the door hinges

cold blood

Staff member
you will need to drill a few holes down at ground level to promote airflow....not many, just a couple....but its pretty important to do so.

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
I'm going to sound really stupid but is it ok to do that when I just moved them in? I know I'll need to temporarily remove them from the enclosures. But at that point if I'm going to take them out should I just move them up to the next size enclosure? I'll do whatever I need to for them. That's not even a question. Just want to go about this the right way the first time so they're stressed as little as possible.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not really just the high sides and whatever air is getting in through the door hinges
We’re did you get the enclosure ? Pet shop wanted a lot of money for them
you will need to drill a few holes down at ground level to promote airflow....not many, just a couple....but its pretty important to do so.
seems a lot of these enclosures lack cross ventilation. That was the issue with flipping a 10 gal for arboreal .

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
I got them at a local petco. They were on sale (I didn't know when I went in for them) I thought I understood what cross ventilation was. Now I know I was mistaken. Thanks for catching this early. Hopefully I can get ahead of it before it negatively affects their health. Unfortunately it's too late in the evening for me to be able to get what I need tonight but I'll make time tomorrow.

Bigger enclosure? Or just coax them out of their current ones, drill, and replace until they're ready for the next one?

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Sorry for question bombarding. I'd rather take any anxiety out in here instead of hovering over them when they're best left alone without some giant weirdo staring at them 🤣

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I picked up a pink toe from pet smart yesterday. Yes I know what some will say. But she had been there for two months and seemed stressed. I can't save them all but I saw her and couldn't forget her.

She was slow moving but got into her new enclosure well. I supplied water and left her be. This morning she seemed to want breakfast so I offered her a cricket and she quickly got it. So clearly her appetite isn't terrible.

She's kinda just chilling on the side (which my c versicolor does too but she's got her legs pulled in. Not like the death curl. But like she's trying to make herself smaller? The room is 70° and they're on my bookshelf with space in between and on either side for ventilation. The weather is nice so my window was open to promote fresh air.

Posted a pic so y'all can see what I mean. Normal? View attachment 471166 View attachment 471165
Yes- this is THE classic defensive position all Avics do- you should know this as an Avic owner already- READ UP!! Stop rewarding pet box stores and reward private breeders

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
Yes- this is THE classic defensive position all Avics do- you should know this as an Avic owner already- READ UP!! Stop rewarding pet box stores and reward private breeders
I did not want to give them anything. I'm just an idiot bleeding heart that sees something and gets upset. I'm no longer going to be a customer there in general. I'm going to do what I can for this one and that's it. My future Ts I'll pick up from <edit>. I'm new to this. I've made my mistakes. Really dumb ones. But I'm not waiting until something bad happens to fix it. I'm trying to get ahead of everything I can. I've devoted most of my waking hours this week to asking the questions I didn't think of and finding information that is trustworthy.

So here I am asking the stupid questions because I know there's nice, smart people here with experience who will help me get on the right track faster than sifting through Google.

Oh by new. I've had them for less than a week. I know what I've read but not by experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
Well. If there's any books or podcasts you're fond of let me know and I'll listen while I work. You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable so I trust your opinion.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well. If there's any books or podcasts you're fond of let me know and I'll listen while I work. You seem to be one of the most knowledgeable so I trust your opinion.
#1. Read AB
Avoid YouTube unless you’re looking for video of animals in their native habitat
Never use so-called “caresheets” you see floating around the net
Podcasts- never used one, except for music 😉
Learn how to use quote feature here

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
How is your T right now?
It is a good thing they are webbing. My pink-toed bastard (I say that lovingly btw) did the same thing a few times- webbing around the door! I didn't want to ruin his hard work but I needed to refill his water dish!!!
Edit; If you need information relating to your tarantula, you can use the search function here, type in the kind of tarantula you have (scientific name too can help) and find good care guides here.

scarletsnow

Arachnopeon
How is your T right now?
She seems pretty good, but I think she's a little cramped just with how she was trying to kind of settle between the piece of cork board and the enclosure. She's a little bigger than my c versicolor and I think will definitely be too big after her next molt. I thought I understood what cross ventilation is but I did not. I need to drill holes in both enclosures so I'm going to move her into the next size up. I'll add extra substrate since she's not full grown yet so if she falls it won't be far. But she'll have some more room to stretch out. The enclosure she was kept in was wider than the I one I have her in now.

it will take like 4 minutes to put the t in a catch cup and drill a couple holes.
Thanks for the kick in the butt. :) The ventilation has been added. Switched the coconut chips to softer substrate.

Now to let her settle back in

Attachments