Is this safe to use?

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
I'm trying to adhere a foam background to one of my enclosures as well as add substrate to the background and I heard and read that 100% silicone was safe to use. However theres a statement on there that states "not recommended for underwater/aquarium useor where fda compliance is necessary" is this still ok to use? 1000006445.jpg

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I'm trying to adhere a foam background to one of my enclosures as well as add substrate to the background and I heard and read that 100% silicone was safe to use. However theres a statement on there that states "not recommended for underwater/aquarium useor where fda compliance is necessary" is this still ok to use? View attachment 465397
ONLY use Aquarium safe silicone.

NEVER use anything that states it tackles mold or is ideal for bathrooms etc.

Anything other than aquarium safe silicone contains chemicals to kill mold and will also kill others in the process.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
GE1 is safe to use. I have used it for years. Most of the time the “mold” stuff on the front is marketing tool. But the GE1 formula is good (that’s not what your holding)

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
ONLY use Aquarium safe silicone.

NEVER use anything that states it tackles mold or is ideal for bathrooms etc.

Anything other than aquarium safe silicone contains chemicals to
GE1 is safe to use. I have used it for years. Most of the time the “mold” stuff on the front is marketing tool. But the GE1 formula is good (that’s not what your holding)
kill mold and will also kill others in the process.
Oh I thought it was OK as long as it's 100% silicon. That stinks

Can you show me what the bottle looks like bc when i search ge1 nothing comes up

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Can you show me what the bottle looks like bc when i search ge1 nothing comes up
DO NOT use GE1 it's for windows and doors with a 7 YEAR ANTI MOLD PROTECTION.

Pretty strong stuff.

If you cannot visit an aquarium shop, just type in "Aquarium Silicone" or " Fish Safe Silicone"

7 year anti mold treatment is NOT a marketing ploy, it's telling you that it contains enough chemicals to keep mold at bay for 7 years, it's what builders use.

Yes it maybe okay short term but the chemicals will gradually leach out.

I honestly don't know why people want to take chances with silicone when there are plenty of fish safe on the market.

It's marketed as Fish Safe as there are NO chemicals in the silicone to leach out ,long or short term.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
@Dayners666 This is a link

If you only need small amounts (10oz or below) Aqueon is a commonly available brand at Walmarts, Petshops, and really any pet supply retailers
Aqueon small tube silicone

Re: GE1 silicone mold topic

The aquarium and vivarium hobby has used GE1 to VARYING results over the years.
GE corporate has openly stated many times NOT to consider their product for aquarium use.
potato.png

That being said, I've used it to make fish tanks. I just let it sit in the garage for a week first.
YMMV, you might kill your pet or you might not.

Last edited:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
@Dayners666 This is a link

If you only need small amounts (10oz or below) Aqueon is a commonly available brand at Walmarts, Petshops, and really any pet supply retailers
Aqueon small tube silicone

Re: GE1 silicone mold topic

The aquarium and vivarium hobby has used GE1 to VARYING results over the years.
GE corporate has openly stated many times NOT to consider their product for aquarium use.
View attachment 465412

That being said, I've used it to make fish tanks. I just let it sit in the garage for a week first.
YMMV, you might kill your pet or you might not.
I think the problem is because aquarium grade silicone is especially manufactured it tends to be more expensive and people look for a cheaper option.

Cheap is very seldom better.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The person I trust most to answer this question is @HooahArmy
Uh oh, I hear boss music starting up lol.

IIRC, GE1 used to be a safe and good DIY choice, but they redid the formula within the past few years to include the mildew resistance that GE2 has.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I didn't realize they changed the GE formula, sorry guys.

This stuff smells TERRIBLE and is toxic until it doesn't, and takes forever to cure. I have only used GG gel inside an enclosure, since I don't want to spring for coral safe stuff, but this on a few mesh to acrylic conversions. It's still $6 on Amazon right now.

PXL_20240121_192431893.jpg

Edit typo, it's raining

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Globservations. First, @HooahArmy what is the technical name of that common mold growth inhibiting agent? It's up around 100 letters.
*The silicone in the OP has a mold inhibiting agent and is not even submitted to the USDA for approval. The agent is deadly for fish and is is not to be used near waterways.
*Approved silicone for use in aquariums must be 100% pure.
*Approved by the NSF for use in and around food production has no additives.
Carry on.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
but they redid the formula within the past few years to include the mildew resistance that GE2 has.
as far as I am aware they only just took the time to rebrand to make them seem the same, I have been using it with no issues to any invert life forms. The clear that is.

7 year anti mold treatment is NOT a marketing ploy, it's telling you that it contains enough chemicals to keep mold at bay for 7 years, it's what builders use.
GE1 also always did this to begin with by the way. I have found it to be safe before rebranding and after.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
GE1 also always did this to begin with by the way. I have found it to be safe before rebranding and after.
I found it to be safe 8 years ago, but cannot attest for now. I suspect the toxicity comes from the additive which loses potency over time.

Dayners666

Arachnosquire
So I researched and found out that there is no chemical additive that is added to silicone. It states that it is mold free because silicone itself is mold free. The label stares 100%silicone which means that it is just naturally mold free. In case anyone on here wasn't aware of that but if you actually research silicone itself you will see that