Is this terrarium okay for a Giant African Millipede?

Hedylogos

Arachnopeon
I’ve had him for almost two weeks now, and more of Josh’s Milli Mix is coming in a couple days! I’m worried that the red light is too much for my Giant African, and checking to see if there’s any other issues other than the soil depth ): !!
-I didn’t get a small heating pad because the pet store was all out of every size. I hope this is okay for him. He did become more active after I turned it on..
He has 2 hides, a moss ball, and the wooden hut. He’s not fully grown so his tank isn’t very large, but I will buy a proper one when he grows. IMG_2092.jpeg

Hedylogos

Arachnopeon
So you know they can see red?
Can they? I didn’t have a small heating pad and I have frogs that use the light ):
-
I’m seeing that UV is harmful, and that there’s a big discussion on whether pedes should use red lights or not.
I was just worried if this light was messing with him but there’s a lot of mixed arguments.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can they? I didn’t have a small heating pad and I have frogs that use the light ):
-
I’m seeing that UV is harmful, and that there’s a big discussion on whether pedes should use red lights or not.
I was just worried if this light was messing with him but there’s a lot of mixed arguments.
I don't know- you should know. My point is why don't you ask an expert at a university???. I do that all the time assuming there's too much conflicting info. I rarely listen to rando internet comments, esp on FB and other noise machines

Not sure what a pad, and frogs have to do with the vision of a pede???

UV I wouldn't know. Though I've read here years ago that UV makes scorp exo's soft, I don't know, but it was a senior poster...

well if you are worried not sure etc, don't use it till you know for sure. I've never looked them up, but I'd be surprised if they can see into the red spectrum, but nothing surprises me in nature.

Hedylogos

Arachnopeon
I don't know- you should know. My point is why don't you ask an expert at a university???. I do that all the time assuming there's too much conflicting info. I rarely listen to rando internet comments, esp on FB and other noise machines

Not sure what a pad, and frogs have to do with the vision of a pede???

UV I wouldn't know. Though I've read here years ago that UV makes scorp exo's soft, I don't know, but it was a senior poster...

well if you are worried not sure etc, don't use it till you know for sure. I've never looked them up, but I'd be surprised if they can see into the red spectrum, but nothing surprises me in nature.
It’s my first millipede, and I promise you I did as much research I could before hand.
I was hoping someone who knew about pedes would inform me, instead of having to travel to a uni, but that seems like a good idea in the future when I’m able.
The frog tank is mentioned because its next to the pede tank, so they’re both using the light. :)
Heating pad is mentioned because I wouldn’t have had to worry about this if I DID have one.. but I didn’t want my pede to freeze so I got a heating light.
I didn't think about pede vision until your comment, so that piqued me a little.
I just wanted to make sure the light was safe. I read that they don’t perceive red light, so the vision will be okay! I’ll look up on to see effects on molting + exo, thank you!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s my first millipede, and I promise you I did as much research I could before hand.
I was hoping someone who knew about pedes would inform me, instead of having to travel to a uni, but that seems like a good idea in the future when I’m able.
The frog tank is mentioned because its next to the pede tank, so they’re both using the light. :)
Heating pad is mentioned because I wouldn’t have had to worry about this if I DID have one.. but I didn’t want my pede to freeze so I got a heating light.
I didn't think about pede vision until your comment, so that piqued me a little.
I just wanted to make sure the light was safe. I read that they don’t perceive red light, so the vision will be okay! I’ll look up on to see effects on molting + exo, thank you!
Who said TRAVEL??? Have you heard of this technology called EMAIL?? It's a relatively new invention perhaps you missed the hype. :rofl:

Glad I could help. Never owned a pede, but they seem quite cool