Isn't this an Avicularia avicularia

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
caaan some1 answer my question about tempermant compared to a. avic?

Garrick said:
Congratulations!

You have an Avicularia metallica/geroldi/braunshauseni/avicularia/avicularia vagriata/tesmoignti!

Seriously, there's a group of spiders that's in a taxonomic mess. Anyone that would assert to know what you have based on a photo (or often times in their very hand) isn't going on solid info.

-Garrick
i know for a fact mine's an a. metallica because the guy i got it off has many many many many many years experience and i can clearly tell it's not a. avic or a. versi because i have both of those and they look nothing like this.. it's a beatiful t!

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
da_illest said:
caaan some1 answer my question about tempermant compared to a. avic?

i know for a fact mine's an a. metallica because the guy i got it off has many many many many many years experience and i can clearly tell it's not a. avic or a. versi because i have both of those and they look nothing like this.. it's a beatiful t!

Whether the dealer/breeder is experienced or not isnt the point. What Garrick is hinting to is that all of the above listed may be regional variants of the same species. Maybe one day this Genus will be straightened out....but for now.....

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wierd, now I was sure my avic was an a avic, but it looks exactly like the a. metallica pic. Mine's the same size as the one in the pic too...... :confused:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
da_illest said:
i know for a fact mine's an a. metallica
You've compared it to the type specimen and original description? Apart from colouration, what would lead you to believe it is A.metallica rather than A.avicularia? ;)

Avicularia is a mess of a genus. It could probably be halved in size overnight, and then halved again. We have species described from cast exuviae from a pet shop, descriptions based on colour, and things like "slightly paler setae on leg IV" It's a joke.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Garrick said:
Congratulations!

You have an Avicularia metallica/geroldi/braunshauseni/avicularia/avicularia vagriata/tesmoignti!

Seriously, there's a group of spiders that's in a taxonomic mess. Anyone that would assert to know what you have based on a photo (or often times in their very hand) isn't going on solid info.
Maybe one day this Genus will be straightened out....but for now
I have a feeling that this genus is going to be cleaned up in the very near Future.................. ;P ;)

Cheers
Brendan

Spiral_Stairs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jmmarich said:
Ok, I thought it was an avic avic. What are the differences between a P. Metallica and an avic avic? The picture I saw of the P Metallica looks identical to me. I can't seem to find a picture of one.

--Josh
There are MAJOR differences in P. Metallica, A. Avic. P.metallica is in a completely different genus. You are thinking of A. Metallica, which does look almost identical to a. avic until it reaches adulthood. The major difference, is that a. metallica doesn't have the reddish settae on its abdomen and has a much more vibrant greenish/blue hue all over its body. They also get slightly larger than a common pinktoe. You have an A. Avic. I promise.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, the genus is as messed up as this thread. Good luck, the spiders are laughing.

Jmmarich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Outstanding Spiral, thats the description I was looking for. I was hoping it was an A. avic.

--Josh

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
I have a feeling that this genus is going to be cleaned up in the very near Future.................. ;P ;)

Cheers
Brendan
You are joking right? And if not, got info?

Jon