J.R.R.Tolkien & Significant Arachnids:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, all...I just wanted to comment on something regarding professor tolkien.

I recently finished reading "The Silmarillion", quite a deep book I must say, was probably the most difficult read I've had, I've also read "The Hobbit".

Anyways, onto the point...Tolkien wrote quite alot about spiders, or should I say, wrote alot of spider-characters. The Silmarillion acts as a sort of prequel to "The Lord Of The Rings" and "The Hobbit". There were atleast one spider-character in every book that I've read of his thus far, and I also recall hearing that when he was an infant, a spider, possibly a Tarantula climbed on him, and tromatized him for life it seems. I'm not sure as to if the spider bit him, I honestly doubt it, but whatever it did, certainly influenced Tolkien in his writings and I've decided to post some examples and some photographs/illustrations as well.

In "The Silmarillion", everything that is written, happened and had to happen first in order for stories like "The Hobbit" and "The Lord Of The Rings" to exist...it is for lack of a better term, "The Bible Of Middle-Earth". So, in "The Silmarillion", there is a giant spider who I believe began as an evil spirt, of a woman(no I'm not being sexist ladies lol) and if I recall correctly, she decided to take the form of an evil-looking-spider, so to speak.

This creature was Ungoliant, and she was a spider of tremendous size and had quite the frightening attributes. Anyways, I think that some elves created "The Two Trees Of Valinor", and their light lit quite a bit of land, very cool stuff...anyways, the evil dude, Melkor/Morgoth take your pick, decided he didn't like the Two Trees Of Valinor, and wanted to extinguish their glow, so he basically hired Ungoliant the giant spider, to help him in these deeds. Ungoliant would answer to no one as her master, she was completely self sufficient...And she agreed to help Melkor in destroying the Two Trees Of Valinor, but only under the condition that she be allowed to have some of, if not all of the silmarils, which were glowing jewels of light created by the elves if I recall correctly.

So, Melkor and Ungoliant snuck up, and attacked the Two Trees Of Valinor...Melkor impaled them with a giant spear, and Ungoliant also impaled them with her large razor sharp fangs and poisioned their roots, thus ending the light of The Two Trees Of Valinor forever. However, when all was said and done...Melkor denied Ungoliant any silmarils, so Ungoliant being naturally quite upset, decides to attempt an attack on Melkor, only to be quickly discouraged by a couple of servants of Melkor, the Fire-Balrogs of Morgoth. Giant demons, of fire with flamed-whips bodies wreathed in flame. The balrogs wounded Ungoliant and drove her away, no one knows exactly what happened in the end, but it is said that Ungoliant devoured herself.

So, then onto the story "The Hobbit"...there is a part in this story where Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves, end up in Mirkwood Forest, a dark and haunted place with many evil things. While in Mirkwood, the Hobbit and the dwarves run into some spiders, named basically "The Spiders Of Mirkwood", and they ensnare all of the dwarves with their sticky webs with the intentions of eating them later on. Well, since Bilbo Baggins has the ring that he took from Gollum's cave, he puts the ring on and disappears...and in doing this, just so happens to fight off and kill alot of the spiders of mirkwood.

Well, then in "The Lord Of The Rings - The Two Towers(book), Return Of The King(movie) Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee run into a giant spider, SHELOB(she-spider)...Shelob is a daughter of Ungoliant, and one of the many offspring, of the Spiders Of Mirkwood forest....So, next time you watch "The Lord Of The Rings" just keep in mind, thats not "just a spider", that is "a spider with about 2-4 hundred thousand years of pre-history behind it, with deep significance."

AND HENCE, THE IMPORTANCE OF ARACHNIDS/SPIDERS/TARANTULAS(or well, atleast for me heh).

-Sincerely, Matt Green

Attachments

priZZ

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for sharing, as I am a big fan of LoTR(I also red the books, as I was 12 or 13 years old), this is very amazing.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Shelob's Lair...

Yeah, I actually got my first T (a G. rosea) with the idea that I'd name her Shelob...I got her home and figured out she was a he...now here I am w/3 A. versi slings hoping one's a girl. :rolleyes:

BUT...it doesn't seem quite right to name an arboreal spider "Shelob" as Shelob was clearly a terrestrial burrower ;)

So now I have to figure out what T I want next.... :}

What's better is that there is a line of toys called "Armies of Middle Earth" marketed for the movies...the Hobbits from this line of toys (Frodo and Sam) are just the right size to go in the T's enclosure w/a sign on top that says "Shelob's Lair".... {D

Oh, did I mention I'm a Hobbit Nerd? :} :D :}

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have all the books I even have them all as audio book which cost me a furtune

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MrArachnid said:
Lord Of The Rings" just keep in mind, thats not "just a spider", that is "a spider with about 2-4 hundred thousand years of pre-history behind it, with deep significance."
... and a stinger where its spinneretts ought to be, don't forget that. ;)

Chris

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I read the books once in middleschool and once again in highschool. I cant remember the stinger in the books (Im sure it was there) but I remember laughing when I saw it at the theatres. It would be interesting to see T's take out prey items with a stinger. I don't know if it's worth trading away the webbing.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ShaunHolder said:
It would be interesting to see T's take out prey items with a stinger. I don't know if it's worth trading away the webbing.
Well remember in the movie she had the stinger and webbing...suffice to say Tolkein didn't research actual spider much (if at all)... s'ok I guess, the FX team for the movies didn't research predatory mammals much and made a minute but annoying error because of it...

Shiver

Banned duplicate account
Old Timer
I always wanted to name a tarantula after Ungoliant.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Betty's T. blondi is named "Shelob".

Those are some awesome illustrations!!

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same here

G_Wright said:
I have all the books I even have them all as audio book which cost me a furtune
I can't decide if I like the books or audio book better, though the audio books are wonderful in the car commuting to work.

I've read The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings book every year for about the past 20 years. Usually in the fall for some reason. I still have a month or 2 to go!