Just exactly how uninformed is the general public?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
MrFeexit said:
I guess we could take solace in the fact that most cities can't afford basic services so an added burden of animal inspector storm troopers would probably cost way to much to implement on any adequate scale. .
Oh but they can all they have to do is empower a animal welfare group to enforce laws on there behalf (as they may well soon do here)

MrFeexit said:
However that said it still is a slap in the face of the whole "Land of the Free" thing.
100% right!!

protheus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MrFeexit said:
an added burden of animal inspector storm troopers would probably cost way to much to implement on any adequate scale.
They don't need storm troopers, they have "concerned parents..."

Chris

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw this on the Yahoo news page this morning. It's another example of people not knowing what they're talking about. Since when do spiders have beaks?

Itsy-Bitsy Spider Catches ... a Snake
BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese house spider sitting on its web waiting for lunch got the biggest helping of its life -- it caught a snake.

The 12-inch snake crawled into a farmer's house in Qingyuan county in eastern Zhejiang province, apparently oblivious of the spider patiently spinning its web in the corner, Xinhua news agency said on Saturday.

"Unfortunately, it got desperately trapped in the tough, sticky web of the spider," the agency said.

"The spider pulled the web higher and suspended the snake above the ground. It then managed to get to the neck of the snake, using its beak to pierce the snake and inject its poison."

The David and Goliath battle took 80 minutes, drawing farmers from all around to watch, Xinhua said.

"The snake died soon and the hunter spider began to suck its blood."

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Yes sadly you can find uninformed thrash like that in the general media any day of the week :(

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oxbaker said:
I saw this on the Yahoo news page this morning. It's another example of people not knowing what they're talking about. Since when do spiders have beaks?
They DO have beaks! but only when the media is running low on stuff to report. they also have beaks when johnny redneck reports it...

LMAO

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol they have those too. what do you think those 8 things sticking out of their bodies is? LMAO

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
What's next... tarantula tentacles? {D
The funny thing is when I first glanced at this, I saw "Tarantula testicles."

Jeri

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Jeri said:
The funny thing is when I first glanced at this, I saw "Tarantula testicles."

Jeri
{D {D I'm DYING here!!! {D {D I would never have told the truth before, but now that you said that....

THAT'S WHAT I TYPED FIRST!! I HAD TO CORRECT IT!!!

Are we BOTH being a little Freudian? {D My stomach hurts....

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm probably going to have my T's in my classroom if the school allows it...that or keep them with the Bio department since I'll be a history teacher.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
back to the original question...

yes it's astounding, disturbing, and laughable all at the same time. People routinely express concern for my life when they find out I have baby A. versi's in escape-proof enclosures living in my house. These same people would be fascinated if I had "arrow poison" frogs, which are not necessarily deadly or dangerous but you get the idea.

It's kind of like when I had the cutest "siamese" rat (had himalayan colorpoint coat pattern like a siamese cat). She'd ride on my shoulder all day while I was at work at the pet store. People would see her cute little face and say how cute she was and ask if she was a ferret. Once they found out about her awesome rattiness their perception changed. Whatever.

And as a former pet-store worker I feel the need to add this gem:

A middle-aged man walks into the store, "Where can I get food for a lizard?"
Me: "What kind of lizard is it?"
Pause a beat for the man to look at me like *I'm* astoundingly dense before he replies (no irony or evil grins, either), "It's green."

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And no sooner does this thread come up than my good for nothing step mother decide (after two years) that she can no longer live in the same house as my Burmese python or Tarantulas. So she tells my dad to tell me (her typical way of communication) that i have 30 days to find a home for a 12 ft Burm. My dad said i should be getting rid of the T's as well but i will not do that. She wouldn't have even known about them had people not seen them and casually mentioned them in front of her. I know people have fears of snakes and i understand that, but she makes no effort to get over that fear. If she just gave me a chance to help her i'm sure i could at least calm her nerves just a bit. She has a constant irrational fear that the snake is going to get out and kill her 3 LOUD dogs (one of which was responsible for a law suit against her when he bit someones face). UG!!!!! I hate people who are so freakin close minded. This is a very derpessing day for me. BTW, does anyone know of any large snake rescues in the southern california area?