Keepers from Australia

GG80

Arachnoknight
I think his point was that Australia is not an island :p a continent and an island are two different things lol
I am aware that it is a continent, but it is an island regardless. And technically the continent is Australasia, and Oceania, consisting of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the pacific islands such as Tonga and Samoa. 14 sovereign nations in fact.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I am aware that it is a continent, but it is an island regardless. And technically the continent is Australasia, and Oceania, consisting of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the pacific islands such as Tonga and Samoa. 14 sovereign nations in fact.
No way man (can't resist :-O i'm a maniac of geography). Oceania IS the continent. Australasia not. Australasia is only a (correct, however) geographical term, just like Middle East, Central Asia (those former USSR weird, lovely, half muslims - half mongol funny dictators nations, like Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kirghizistan etc Samarcanda rules btw) Benelux here in Europe (well, this last one involved their nations economy stuff IMO more than geography but could be used) or mitteleuropa (once used also Danubian Europa.. now Central Europa).. etc they are geographical terms.

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
No way man (can't resist :-O i'm a maniac of geography). Oceania IS the continent. Australasia not. Australasia is only a (correct, however) geographical term, just like Middle East, Central Asia (those former USSR weird, lovely, half muslims - half mongol funny dictators nations, like Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kirghizistan etc Samarcanda rules btw) Benelux here in Europe (well, this last one involved their nations economy stuff IMO more than geography but could be used) or mitteleuropa (once used also Danubian Europa.. now Central Europa).. etc they are geographical terms.
Very informative. I'm a bit of a geography nut myself :), but I did say Australasia AND Oceania. You are correct though, Oceania is recognized as the name of the continental area.

Anyhow, we're far away from the OP's question of importing Ts into Australia. Because it is an island nation, the Australian government will not allow any risk to the delicate balance of its environments. Just look up what happened when cane toads were introduced into Australia. They won't make that mistake again.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Very informative. I'm a bit of a geography nut myself :), but I did say Australasia AND Oceania. You are correct though, Oceania is recognized as the name of the continental area.

Anyhow, we're far away from the OP's question of importing Ts into Australia. Because it is an island nation, the Australian government will not allow any risk to the delicate balance of its environments. Just look up what happened when cane toads were introduced into Australia. They won't make that mistake again.
Ah ah you also? :) great
True. As i've said before on another post, they don't even allow some old tribal masks from Indonesis, Papua etc due to their wood.
Not even mention that Australia customs officers would discover very easy a parcel with T's inside.. they "X Ray" everything, and use a lot of other techno devices, unlike here lol

GG80

Arachnoknight
Ah ah you also? :) great
True. As i've said before on another post, they don't even allow some old tribal masks from Indonesis, Papua etc due to their wood.
Not even mention that Australia customs officers would discover very easy a parcel with T's inside.. they "X Ray" everything, and use a lot of other techno devices, unlike here lol
Yeah, they are super strict. I had a guitar with me when I went there and I had to declare it as it was made from wood. They gave it a quick look over and cleared me but it just goes to show how they are there. Even if there is mud or dirt on your shoe they will expose it to radiation to make sure that any possible parasites or contaminated materials are destroyed. You also run the risk of huge fines and possible jail time by not declaring something that could potentially be harmful to their environment.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, they are super strict. I had a guitar with me when I went there and I had to declare it as it was made from wood. They gave it a quick look over and cleared me but it just goes to show how they are there. Even if there is mud or dirt on your shoe they will expose it to radiation to make sure that any possible parasites or contaminated materials are destroyed. You also run the risk of huge fines and possible jail time by not declaring something that could potentially be harmful to their environment.
*Indonesia
I love to collect old primitive masks from Asia.. in Australia it's difficult due to that wood, and shrunken heads made by animal skin, made using somewhat the Shuar system.
You can't. Not to mention non Australian T's. Not so fascinated by Australia however (except for the internal wild lands, those are amazing) :)
I prefer rainy Erin Go Bragh, your homeland, than Australia.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
You're legally able to keep whatever native species of Spider you want (including funnel webs) without requiring a license.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're legally able to keep whatever native species of Spider you want (including funnel webs) without requiring a license.
Woah.. including Atrax robustus? I mean, example: i live in Australia, Australian born citizen. I go out in the wild one day for a search of a female specimen of Atrax robustus, find her, catch cup her, put her at home.. enclosure.. and i'm fine in front of Australian laws?
Dumb question then: there's even Atrax robustus breeders/sellers, excluding those people who work with them for create antivenom?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Woah.. including Atrax robustus? I mean, example: i live in Australia, Australian born citizen. I go out in the wild one day for a search of a female specimen of Atrax robustus, find her, catch cup her, put her at home.. enclosure.. and i'm fine in front of Australian laws?
Dumb question then: there's even Atrax robustus breeders/sellers, excluding those people who work with them for create antivenom?
Yeah if you find one you can keep it unless you found it in a national park, people are selling them all the time through facebook forums. Atrax robustus isn't even close to our most deadly funnel web anyway so they're not that big in terms of hobbyists getting their hands on them.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah if you find one you can keep it unless you found it in a national park, people are selling them all the time through facebook forums. Atrax robustus isn't even close to our most deadly funnel web anyway so they're not that big in terms of hobbyists getting their hands on them.
What is then the most deadly Australian funnel web, if not Atrax robustus? One of the Hadronyche sp.? Man i'm curious now.. i mean, Atrax robustus was (until now IMO) Australian N°1 and that - without the antivenom shot, of course - a full wet bite from a male specimen would turn the lights off.
And there's one even more terrible? Ah ah, fantastic :)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
What is then the most deadly Australian funnel web, if not Atrax robustus? One of the Hadronyche sp.? Man i'm curious now.. i mean, Atrax robustus was (until now IMO) Australian N°1 and that - without the antivenom shot, of course - a full wet bite from a male specimen would turn the lights off.
And there's one even more terrible? Ah ah, fantastic :)
According to venom studies Hadronyche infensa and Hadronyche formidabilis (Northern tree dwelling funnel web) pack a far more venomous bite than Atrax robustus, interestingly in both the Hadronyche species I listed it's the female who packs the bigger bite unlike the Atrax robustus it's the male who does.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
According to venom studies Hadronyche infensa and Hadronyche formidabilis (Northern tree dwelling funnel web) pack a far more venomous bite than Atrax robustus, interestingly in both the Hadronyche species I listed it's the female who packs the bigger bite unlike the Atrax robustus it's the male who does.
True. Searched a bit as well.. seems Hadronyche formidabilis the most lethal, maybe because deliver more venom quantity? However Atrax robustus is the champ when it comes to body counts. Maybe because they (males) wander more and sneak into houses?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Atrax robustus live bang on in Sydney and outer Sydney which consists of a population of about 4.2 million, the males during breeding season wander all through peoples houses etc so human-Sydney funnel web interactions probably 100 thousand times higher than human-Hadronyche formidabilis interactions, to find a Hadronyche formidabilis you basically have to search for one, most of the time they live way up in trees (25 ft+) and the areas they're found are up in mountain ranges which is basically void of human contact for the most part anyway, same goes for Hadronyche infensa which inhabits Frazer Island which has a population of 190.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Atrax robustus live bang on in Sydney and outer Sydney which consists of a population of about 4.2 million, the males during breeding season wander all through peoples houses etc so human-Sydney funnel web interactions probably 100 thousand times higher than human-Hadronyche formidabilis interactions, to find a Hadronyche formidabilis you basically have to search for one, most of the time they live way up in trees (25 ft+) and the areas they're found are up in mountain ranges which is basically void of human contact for the most part anyway, same goes for Hadronyche infensa which inhabits Frazer Island which has a population of 190.
True. So a bite from those, in the wild, during maybe an Hadronyche formidabilis searching, would be a death warrant because ER would be too far to reach in time, am i right? A la "Wolf Creek" movie :)

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
True. So a bite from those, in the wild, during maybe an Hadronyche formidabilis searching, would be a death warrant because ER would be too far to reach in time, am i right? A la "Wolf Creek" movie :)
Yeah if you were lets say hiking and you went to rest up against a tree and you just so happened to rest up against a H. formidabilis nest and got tagged by an adult you're done, too potent and too much venom produced
northern tree.jpg
Steve funnel web 2.jpg