Keeping Phlogius Crassipes

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Hey anybody have any idea how large these actually get…does anybody have a big one? I hear they get to about 8 inches but I do not know how common a size like that is. Also, how is the bulk of the adults in comparison to P Muticus, or the big Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, etc.? Any preferences between these and other OW giants like P Muticus or H Gigas or others? Temperament and other characteristics, keeping experiences, etc.?
their is supposed to be a phlogius sp. goliath that gets huge I think their is an old thread by steve that show a mating of this species

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Seems to be a plethora of info on P. Muticus so I am wondering if those who have kept adults of both might be willing to give me a side by side comparison so that I may be able to tell the difference in their builds and their habits. Thank you in advance!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hey anybody have any idea how large these actually get…does anybody have a big one? I hear they get to about 8 inches but I do not know how common a size like that is. Also, how is the bulk of the adults in comparison to P Muticus, or the big Lasiodora, Pamphobeteus, etc.? Any preferences between these and other OW giants like P Muticus or H Gigas or others? Temperament and other characteristics, keeping experiences, etc.?
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking more like 7". Phlogius Goliath is the big one, supposed to be more like 9."

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking more like 7". Phlogius Goliath is the big one, supposed to be more like 9."
Dang, thats a goodly size…how about girth, are these heavy and thick spiders or leggy? They look like they are built opposite to P Muticus…heavy and long legs up front, short and thinner in the rear…looking for a build comparison from anybody who has the experience..Poec, I saw the pics of your collection! You have a perspective on the builds of these spiders? If you had to keep one of these big boy OWs, which would you select and why? Anybody lurking I would love it if you speak up if you have kept em!

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
My P sp Aussie Goliath is only around 5" currently, so I can't compare her to my big P muticus. Any of the Phlogius are amazing.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, I saw the pics of your collection! You have a perspective on the builds of these spiders? If you had to keep one of these big boy OWs, which would you select and why? Anybody lurking I would love it if you speak up if you have kept em!
I have females of 4 species of Phlogius (Eunice, Stents, Goliath, and crassipes) but they're all juveniles. At this point they have a more-or-less Selenocosmia type of build.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I have females of 4 species of Phlogius (Eunice, Stents, Goliath, and crassipes) but they're all juveniles. At this point they have a more-or-less Selenocosmia type of build.
What is a Selenocosmia type of build? I have seen pictures but nothing that puts it in perspective.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
They seem to grow to breedable sizes, 4-5 inches fairly quick. But the growth really slows down after that quite a bit. I still don't suspect my crassipes are full grown yet, and they are from the first imports back in 2006.

Later, Tom

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They seem to grow to breedable sizes, 4-5 inches fairly quick. But the growth really slows down after that quite a bit. I still don't suspect my crassipes are full grown yet, and they are from the first imports back in 2006.
From what I've read, the species from the drier areas inland even slower.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Where online did you get your Goliath from? or where can I get one from ?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
That won't happen, nor should it. We have enough problems with our public image as it is, without getting funnel webs.
I absolutely disagree. I don't think hobbyists as a whole should be punished for idiocy of a few. There are numerous keepers responsible enough to keep Atrax or Hadronyche. Do I agree.the media would push to punish us all? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean we should internally punish ourselves because of what some idiot *could* do. Our job would be to ensure responsible keepers ended up with the spiders.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
Why should I care what the US FASCIST media have to say? I stopped watching that hateful crap they call "news" at least ten years ago. It's nothing but lies and I refuse to construct any facet of my life around fascist lies.

I would definitely purchase Australian funnel webs if made available....at European prices.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I absolutely disagree. I don't think hobbyists as a whole should be punished for idiocy of a few. There are numerous keepers responsible enough to keep Atrax or Hadronyche. Do I agree.the media would push to punish us all? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean we should internally punish ourselves because of what some idiot *could* do. Our job would be to ensure responsible keepers ended up with the spiders.
The reality is, in most areas the government has gotten involved and regulates what we can and can't own. There's been an incredible amount of government growth, and loss of personal freedom over the last 100 years. And the reason politicians 'have to do something' and pass restrictions is because a few individual's irresponsible behavior. It's always a few idiots that ruin it and everyone is punished. That's how it works in this country. Between grand-standing politicians and hoards of lawyers wanting to sue everyone, we're long past the idyllic past you dream of. It's gone. All we can do is try to hang on to what we have now. It's certainly possible that tarantulas could be banned in some states, or even nationwide. I'd much rather fight THAT battle, then waste resources and efforts trying to get funnel webs imported here. Even if through some miracle they were allowed to be legally brought in, some fools will think it's their 'right' to do whatever they want with them (posting videos of free-handling, etc), and it wouldn't take long for them to be banned anyways after a few high-profile bites and rumors of escapes. The public will panic. Funnel webs are a pointless battle to fight. Save your strength. In fact, if funnel webs were allowed in, and of course banned soon after, they could take down the tarantula hobby with them, as politicians would likely lump all large foreign spiders together (they don't care about distinctions and details, like what's really dangerous and what only looks dangerous). We have too much to lose. Win the battle and lose the war. So once again, funnel webs won't be allowed in the US, nor should they. It wouldn't end well.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
And once again, I disagree. There's easy ways to allow capable keepers to own them. Make them on par with venomous snakes - diaaster plans, locled cages, inspections, the whole kit and kaboodle. Youre gonna weed out a big portion of people right off the bat that won't take the time to go through the hassle. And if they get lumped in with hot snakes, you'll have the backing of organizations like USARK to help sort through legal issues. My only Hex experience is Macrothele and, while defensive and fast, they arent Phoneitria fast and a well prepared keeer *can* deal with them. Now maybe Atrax or Hadonyche are faster - I don't know. But following established protocols every aingle time will eliminate 99% of all issues.

As for saving my strength amd "the battle", there is no funnel web battle to be fought simce Australia isn't sending them out. And personally, my figjt focus is in constrictors and not tarantulas. If the Poeci issie goes public again, I will focus on that. I am not at all wasting my time fighting or hoping species that aren't even being exported will somehow hit the hobby
Bit when you can buy a krait, a mamba, a taipan and a cobra, all of which are faster and deadlier than any funnel web, I don't buy the qrgument that funnel webs "shouldn't" be in the hobby.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
And once again, I disagree. There's easy ways to allow capable keepers to own them. Make them on par with venomous snakes - diaaster plans, locled cages, inspections, the whole kit and kaboodle. Youre gonna weed out a big portion of people right off the bat that won't take the time to go through the hassle... But when you can buy a krait, a mamba, a taipan and a cobra, all of which are faster and deadlier than any funnel web, I don't buy the qrgument that funnel webs "shouldn't" be in the hobby.
'When you can buy a krait, mamba, taipan, or cobra'...Are you aware of what's happened with venomous snakes in Florida? I got a permit almost 30 years ago, $5/year. There were caging requirements and inspections were when based on incidents (bites). But a few high profile bites changed things. The annual fee went up to $100, inspections became routine, and what pretty much ended the hobby in the state: 1,000 hours of training with an experienced venomous keeper. At 5 hours a week, that would take almost 4 years. Who's going to stick with that? And who would be foolish enough to agree to take on a trainee? If they get bit working with your animals, you get sued. If you fudge the training hours and certify that they did 1,000 when it was actually less, if they get bit by THEIR animals they can blame you and sue you for improper training (or their surviving relatives can). It's a lose-lose no matter what you do. That's ending the hobby here; the old keepers that were grandfathered-in are falling off thru attrition, and almost no new people can qualify with the training requirement. As is that wasn't enough, they later added micro-chipping all your venomous animals and more inspections. Thru regulations they've ensured the venomous hobby will come to an end. This is probably what will happen state-by-state. And with so few people able to buy them legally, dealers aren't carrying anywhere near what they used to. There's no market. So your comment about being able 'to buy a krait, mamba, taipan, or cobra'...well technically you can in Florida, but almost no one can qualify for a permit anymore. So for all practical purposes, you can't. So, in this regulated environment, it's absolute fantasy to think that funnel webs have any chance of ever being allowed in, even if people in Australia had CBB's to export. Those days are all but over.

BTW, I had a cobra collection for 9 years, at my peak, had 150 of them representing 25 species/subspecies.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Offhand, I know a few places that do a few weekly classes. People *are* mentoring. And if you *really* have the passion, you'll go through the proper protocols and get the training. Does it suck compared to how it *used* to be? Sure but John and Jane Q Public who on a whim think a krait looks awesome are now dissuaded from up and buying an animal they aren't prepared for. When the time comes for me to start, I won't mind four years - my son is seven and he'll be quite a bit older by the time I get my hours. And I won't mind the inspections - I'd rather put up with the inspections and be up to code than deal with an escape. I know for my conditional I have annuals. And if I needed that for my Phoneutria or, if they ever got imported, Atrax, I'd deal with that, too.