Keeping prey alive while my t isn't hungry.

cold blood

Staff member
What? I buy one single cricket all the time. I only have one adult that requires little food, I go in an get one large cricket....I have been to 5 different places and all charge ten cents. Here's a secret tip...go to a large chain lps that sells crix....walk around while keeping your eyes peeled. You may be able to help out the LPS by catching escapees. I have caught them while picking out dog stuff, right in the pocket, I did them a favor and got a free rouge cricket with my dog food.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't use Lettuce as a means of nutrition, it isn't doesn't have any value other than for moisture

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What? I buy one single cricket all the time. I only have one adult that requires little food, I go in an get one large cricket....I have been to 5 different places and all charge ten cents. Here's a secret tip...go to a large chain lps that sells crix....walk around while keeping your eyes peeled. You may be able to help out the LPS by catching escapees. I have caught them while picking out dog stuff, right in the pocket, I did them a favor and got a free rouge cricket with my dog food.
That's a good idea, but I only have one issue... You don't know what it ate or crawled around in before you Give it to your tarantulas. It's not very sanitary.

cold blood

Staff member
That's a good idea, but I only have one issue... You don't know what it ate or crawled around in before you Give it to your tarantulas. It's not very sanitary.
pet stores sell animals, so insecticide dangers are extremely low, if not non-existent. Also, you don't know that info from the ones that come from the bin. All the available food is actual pet food in the store. I bet they are even nastier when they are all crammed into tight places. Anyway, they are a dime, I only do it when they say they are out of crickets....which they never actually are.

I wish I would have kept t's back when I worked at the zoo. The aviary is full of big roaches (all sizes actually...lol). Birds on display readily eat them, so they can't use any kind of pest or insecticide as means of control.

Thanks viper, I give mine a little lettuce or spinach regularly. I'll stick to the kibble and carrots.

CreepyCrawlies

Arachnosquire
Even though I've wasted only fifty cents in feeder crickets, I feel like there is something I'm missing in cricket care while my avic avic was getting used to her new enclosure. I keep them in a standard pet store cricket keeper with their egg carton piece and I put in a cube or two of the yellow gel food every day. Yet they seem to just up and die on me. What can I do to keep them alive?

Also, my T sometimes eats them whole, wonder how does she digest all that when I've been told they drink it?
Forget the store bought cricket food. Potatoes and saltines/oats. Thats all I give mine. It makes them immortal I swear. Put them close to a heater as well.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Btw, went to a nearby PetCo on the way home from a long trip for some more crickets....will not buy theirs again. They cost more than the "mom 'n pop" pet store and they make noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Btw, went to a nearby PetCo on the way home from a long trip for some more crickets....will not buy theirs again. They cost more than the "mom 'n pop" pet store and they make noise.

Adult male crickets make noise. Not just Petco's, LOL.

MissSary

Arachnopeon
Adult male crickets make noise. Not just Petco's, LOL.
No, I've had adult males that are supposedly bred to not make noise. That, or the other stores I've been to never sold any males ever.

PAudax

Arachnopeon
I only have one other friend who has said he's experienced this, but I've found when I keep many crickets at once, they will eat each other. Even if I feed them well. So yeah, I have a hard time keeping them alive, too, since they're little cannibals.
Maybe this only happens if you have a small container, who knows?

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
I only have one other friend who has said he's experienced this, but I've found when I keep many crickets at once, they will eat each other. Even if I feed them well. So yeah, I have a hard time keeping them alive, too, since they're little cannibals.
Maybe this only happens if you have a small container, who knows?
I usually only keep about 5 in a large KK with plenty of food and hiding spots and before a week is up I come across at least one that has it's back end chewed off by it's "buddies." Nasty little buggers.

I feed mine some dog food and tropical fish flakes, with orange slices or zucchini rotated every day for moisture. They seem to live pretty well on that, but it depends on the batch. Sometimes I'll have three die on the first night here from the LPS, other batches will last weeks with no deaths (unless it's death by cannibalism, that is). Baffling.

I just recently got my first b. dubia from a reptile show. I love them. Quiet, don't hurt each other, not messy or smelly, easy to feed! They're even kind of cute, all huddled up together in their egg crate. Some websites will sell smaller batches (around 25).