Kenyan sand boa wont eat

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
I've heard about the container feeding, it's been 2 weeks since he ate. He's not interested at all im curious how long do you leave them in the container with a f/t mouse???

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You have not provided enough info🙄

snakes can go months without food if needed

If they don’t eat within minutes out they go for me

Nmarie

Arachnopeon
I got him from a reptile shop 2 weeks ago, they couldn't identify the sex of them. He refused food last week and I put the f/t on toliet paper tube overnight and nothing so this time I put him in a separate container instead of his cage and now im playing the waiting game just wanted to know if this was normal I've never had a snake that refused food...

MrPole

Arachnopeon
I got him from a reptile shop 2 weeks ago
From my experience that's really early too try to be feeding them. If you just got him two weeks ago, and he hasn't eaten in two weeks, it makes it sound like you tried to feed him, more or less, as soon as you brought him home. Then he didn't eat and you went in and tried again, this time messing around in his brand new home with toilet paper tube. And then you take him out and put him somewhere else. He never had time to settle in and feel safe.

But I've never been a proponent for taking a snake out of it's enclosure to feed it. Just let the guy relax. Don't bother him for a week. Try to feed him again. If he doesn't want to eat, wait another week. It can cause undue stress trying to feed them too often.

My snakes will routinely go off food this time of year. One didn't eat for 6 months. (granted, never had a sand boa but) as long as he isn't losing weight he should be fine. Their instincts are first for survival and finding someplace safe when thrust into a new environment.

444 critters

Arachnosquire
I agree with mrpole. It sounds like you tried to feed it as soon as it came home, and maybe it is on the nervous side. I never owned a sand boa, but I had a Columbian red tail that was over 6 foot and he would get weird with food occasionally. I was feeding the largest rats I could get or medium rabbits, every 3 weeks. Then out of nowhere he didn't want to eat for 7 months. I had a pet rabbit for awhile. Haha. Just got to be patient... I would let it settle in its enclosure, and try again in a week or so.

I will also add, I was never a fan of removing for feeding, nor frozen foods. I always fed live, and most the time it was in his enclosure. I rarely had aggressive behavior when he wasn't hungry..