Lampropelma violaceopes rehousing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I am not stating that he is an inexperienced keeper. I am however stating that he is an inexperienced handler because he clearly does not handle his OW tarantulas. So that does make him inexperienced and handling. End of discussion
Everyone has an opinion on everything, that was his, and he probably just tried giving some advice, getting defensive and rude about it was no way to handle the situation.. anyhow, hope your T is all happy in her new enclosure, they are absolutely beautiful

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everyone has an opinion on everything, that was his, and he probably just tried giving some advice, getting defensive and rude about it was no way to handle the situation.. anyhow, hope your T is all happy in her new enclosure, they are absolutely beautiful
Well I kinda had to get defensive. He flat told me I was incorrect in handling an OW without an enclosure transfer. Clearly I have had no issues because I wouldn't do it if I had problems. I realize you get some inexperienced people on here that really have no clue but not everyone is clueless. I happen to disagree with his opinion based soley on handling experience that I do have. Take it for what's it's worth I have handled many defensive T's without incident. Luck you would think would run out after 12 years if indeed it was just luck. Thank you I think she may be my second favorite to my M balfouri

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Given the fact that I have over 12 years of experience handling defensive T's and I have someone telling me that I shouldn't handle that doesn't or hasn't handled aggressive T's themselves I have every right to defend myself. If you have been there and done that then you can make statements that have relevance.
...then I can make statements that have relevance? Am I allowed? Look, I got my first T in the 80's, long before you. Rick got his first decades before me. We've both "been there, done that"...and yet we aren't questioning whether or not your statements have relevance or merit. Again, this arrogance is uncalled for.

Also just making a point here this was me showing my T in her new enclosure not a handling thread
Yes, your L. violaceopes is beautiful. So is mine, and Rick's, and the next poster's. Yes, that's a nice plastic container with dirt in it. Seen a few of those in my time. Thanks for allowing me to make these relevant statements. Have a great day.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Being rude is no way to react to the situation. The fact of the matter is that many OW species are rather unpredictable and you simply CANNOT predict how they may react the next time upon being handled. Also, I have to agree that experience doesn't really mean a whole lot here. Handling isn't something you can really gain experience with. Its like playing with fire. You simply get lucky sometimes.

@poec54, I thought you said only men did this type of stuff [emoji14]

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Being rude is no way to react to the situation. The fact of the matter is that many OW species are rather unpredictable and you simply CANNOT predict how they may react the next time upon being handled. Also, I have to agree that experience doesn't really mean a whole lot here. Handling isn't something you can really gain experience with. Its like playing with fire. You simply get lucky sometimes.

Strongly disagree.. You can gain experience in handling through handling. You know what to look for when they are upset for instance.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince

Ay! I'm a lady also.. my first T.. P.Irminia lol! And I have no interest in NW Ts whatsoever except for psalmopoeus, and gbb and e. Murinus is nice also.. but my "to have list" consists of mainly ow Ts haha (altough I'll consider my first ow when I completed my Psalmopoeus collection, and when I have myself a GBB and E. Murinus)... you get some bad girls out there hehe

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My join date does account for the fact I have been actively in the hobby since 2005. Got my first T in 1998.
If you want to compare experience: I got my first tarantula in 1973, my first OW several years later, late 1970's. I've owned thousands of tarantulas over the decades. Your stats aren't particularly impressive. Lots of people have been in the hobby that long.

Apparently you do need someone telling you what you do is irresponsible. You can get away with anything, often for years, until things go wrong one day. You claim to know your animals so intimately, when the rest of us don't. Is that flaunting your experience or ego?

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:50 AM ----------

That's just it. They do if you know what your looking for.
Ah, the Doctor Doolittle of tarantulas. If only we were all so gifted.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

Well I kinda had to get defensive. He flat told me I was incorrect in handling an OW without an enclosure transfer. Clearly I have had no issues
Still stands: transferring OW's, especially arboreals, without a container is irresponsible. And by your logic, playing in traffic is safe too; if you haven't been hit by a car yet, there's no way you could be in the future either.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well I kinda had to get defensive. He flat told me I was incorrect in handling an OW without an enclosure transfer. Clearly I have had no issues because I wouldn't do it if I had problems. I realize you get some inexperienced people on here that really have no clue but not everyone is clueless. I happen to disagree with his opinion based soley on handling experience that I do have. Take it for what's it's worth I have handled many defensive T's without incident. Luck you would think would run out after 12 years if indeed it was just luck. Thank you I think she may be my second favorite to my M balfouri
he didn't flat out told you that you are incorrect, he just said it isn't a smart way of doing things. He was just taking the safety of the T and of yourself into consideration.. he didn't tell you that just because he wanted to, or wanted to be rude. Rather safe than sorry, right?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Rather safe than sorry, right?
Well, some prefer it the other way around, 'rather be sorry than safe.' And let's face it, it's a lot more exciting that way, gets the adrenaline flowing. But most of us aren't thrill seekers, at least not with our spiders. And there's that thing about a high profile bite or two going viral and triggering legislation that restricts or bans anyone from owning them. Do people really have the 'right' to take risks that could jeopardize the hobby for everyone else? They really need to think beyond themselves and their little world of self-indulgence.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well, some prefer it the other way around, 'rather be sorry than safe.' And let's face it, it's a lot more exciting that way, gets the adrenaline flowing. But most of us aren't thrill seekers, at least not with our spiders. And there's that thing about a high profile bite or two going viral and triggering legislation that restricts or bans anyone from owning them. Do people really have the 'right' to take risks that could jeopardize the hobby for everyone else? They really need to think beyond themselves and their little world of self-indulgence.
When I started in this hobby I also handled my T, until I realised (especially when you told me) that it is a really bad idea, and I quit handling ever since.. and to be honest, I don't long for handling my Ts at all.. I have to say I enjoy watching them safe and sound in their enclosures, grooming, eating, webbing or doing nothing at all than I would enjoy handling them. I know that they are happy in their enclosures, with no worries or stress.. that is worth more than handling, to know your Ts are as happy as can be

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When I started in this hobby I also handled my T, until I realised (especially when you told me) that it is a really bad idea, and I quit handling ever since.. and to be honest, I don't long for handling my Ts at all.. I have to say I enjoy watching them safe and sound in their enclosures, grooming, eating, webbing or doing nothing at all than I would enjoy handling them. I know that they are happy in their enclosures, with no worries or stress.. that is worth more than handling, to know your Ts are as happy as can be
Bottom line: Respect the animal, it's not a plaything.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Exactly my point too
So you're implying I don't respect my animals because I hold them? Just so you know I have a great deal of respect for all the animals that I own. That respect is part of the reason why have not gotten tagged yet

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:27 PM ----------

he didn't flat out told you that you are incorrect, he just said it isn't a smart way of doing things. He was just taking the safety of the T and of yourself into consideration.. he didn't tell you that just because he wanted to, or wanted to be rude. Rather safe than sorry, right?
I understand about the safety issues regarding handling. That being said no offense to anybody here but I do not need to be told what I'm doing is a risk.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:29 PM ----------

It is my animal so I have the right to do whatever I feel like doing with it. So lets get that part clear right now it is my animal. That would be like me buying another type of exotic animal and somebody telling me what I can and cannot do.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want to compare experience: I got my first tarantula in 1973, my first OW several years later, late 1970's. I've owned thousands of tarantulas over the decades. Your stats aren't particularly impressive. Lots of people have been in the hobby that long.

Apparently you do need someone telling you what you do is irresponsible. You can get away with anything, often for years, until things go wrong one day. You claim to know your animals so intimately, when the rest of us don't. Is that flaunting your experience or ego?

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:50 AM ----------

Ah, the Doctor Doolittle of tarantulas. If only we were all so gifted.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

Still stands: transferring OW's, especially arboreals, without a container is irresponsible. And by your logic, playing in traffic is safe too; if you haven't been hit by a car yet, there's no way you could be in the future either.
Let's get real here playing in traffic and holding a tarantula is not the same thing. For starters one could kill you when the other won't. Secondly I do know my spiders very intimately. I guess I will have to post some videos for everybody to see because apparently it's just dumb luck according to you and a few other people. Everybody here talks about how I'm being arrogant but the thing is if you haven't been there and done that aren't you the one that's being arrogant? You're treating your opinion as a fact when indeed it's just an opinion. My statements are all based on my experience from handling. 12 years worth of experience. Not just keeping and caring for them

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

Oh yeah, we have it loud and clear: Your animal, our hobby.
I hate to break it to you but you don't have a monopoly on the hobby. It is my hobby as well. If you want to have those types of controls in this hobby go live somewhere else other than United States

Last edited:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are some very beautiful specimens, thank you for sharing the photos Singapore. I'm actually really jealous of these two. Definitely two I need to get!!

IMO there is no way anyone can tell her what or what not to do with her own spiders, this type of boundary overstepping happens too often here.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
- I do know my spiders very intimately.
- I hate to break it to you but you don't have a monopoly on the hobby. It is my hobby as well. If you want to have those types of controls in this hobby go live somewhere else other than United States
- Okay, you know your spiders better than the rest of us know ours. If fact, you know these wild animals better than the rest us know our domesticated pets, which have proven time and again to be unpredictable (hence thousand of people being bitten by 'man's best friend.'

- No, the monopoly is people taking risks that could jeopardize the hobby for everyone else. And I have to move out of the US? Whoa. Getting a little carried away. Perhaps you don't realize that tarantulas cannot be owned in Italy, non-native tarantulas cannot be owned in Australia, and parts of Germany have banned Poecilotheria. The hobby is much more than you. Governments get involved when individuals don't seem to be able to handle the responsibility, and they restrict or eliminate every one else's rights in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.