Lasiocyano Sazimai - DKS?

Nigredo

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody!

I got Fred in the end of 2022 and all seemed fine till now.
Since Jan this year, it's been acting really odd. Very jittery movements, shaky legs, refusal to eat. It managed to molt 2 weeks ago and all went well. Molted everything, colours are blooming, fangs have blackened, but it the jittery motions still persist. I can see the chelicerae moving when grooming but when offered food, she just goes in threat posture (whilst shaking) but no fangs to be seen. Seems very... "stubborn" to the point where I can even have the worm up her face and still no feeding response. We do drink water, it seems, the odd time.

Those "shaky legs" really worry me as well. It looks like a glitch in the matrix almost. Starts to walk and suddenly few of the legs start to stutter.

Is that DKS?

Many many thanks in advance! I look up to all of you, hence writing now. Please. shoot any questions or advice!

*images are post molt 2024.

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Any chance we can get a video without provoking Fred too much?

Edit still have the molt? Can you check for a sucking stomach?

I've had Ts refuse food longer after a molt, as they get older they refuse for longer post molt as well. The black fang guideline is the earliest you should attempt.

Nigredo

Arachnopeon
Any chance we can get a video without provoking Fred too much?

Edit still have the molt? Can you check for a sucking stomach?

I've had Ts refuse food longer after a molt, as they get older they refuse for longer post molt as well. The black fang guideline is the earliest you should attempt.
Wow I didn't think of that. Attached are pic of last molt and a link to the vid I took just now.

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I just requested access (Lisa...@), you can change viewing permissions (anyone with the link can view)

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Thankfully I have not seen DKS in real life, but when I've seen people suggest it might be at play, it was much more erratic movements.

There may be some sort of problem with hydraulic pressure but I would have expected problems with the molt. You said definitely seen drinking after molting?

Edit and definitely no chance of trauma, right? Fall?

Another edit, I am going to ping some of the helpful gurus because they've seen it all @viper69 @cold blood @NMTs @Wolfram1 and @DonLouchese who put my mind at ease when I went through something similar

Last edited:

Nigredo

Arachnopeon
Thankfully I have not seen DKS in real life, but when I've seen people suggest it might be at play, it was much more erratic movements.

There may be some sort of problem with hydraulic pressure but I would have expected problems with the molt. You said definitely seen drinking after molting?

Edit and definitely no chance of trauma, right? Fall?

Another edit, I am going to ping some of the helpful gurus because they've seen it all @viper69 @cold blood @Wolfram1 and @DonLouchese who put my mind at ease when I went through something similar
No falls or injuries that I am aware of really. Here is a short vid of Fred from 10.2023 just going full tilt Hydralisk (StarCraft) on that worm...

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
That second video looks a bit more erratic but I personally couldn't rule out it reacting to stimuli due to feeding. And, I think, all the suspected DKS victories were resolved because the T molted. ... Unless the exposure to chemicals was still present

Let's rule out potential exposures.... Do you have fur bearing pets that get flea treatment

Do you use air fresheners, perfumes, lotions, cleaning agents, chemicals, done any home remodels lately?

Where do you keep your Ts? Open common room, private room? Private room with central air to the rest of the house? Is your home detached or shared with another unit? Do you get pest control? Do you leave your windows open?

Feeders - no unusual presentation, smell, die offs? Nothing wild caught?

Where do you source your substrate, moss, cork bark, decorations, etc

Not exposure related but no major temperature fluctuations, no chance the enclosure was exposed to direct sun?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Video wasn’t long enough to tell . Last t I lost from dks quit eating. Rip p met.

Nigredo

Arachnopeon
That second video looks a bit more erratic but I personally couldn't rule out it reacting to stimuli due to feeding. And, I think, all the suspected DKS victories were resolved because the T molted. ... Unless the exposure to chemicals was still present

Let's rule out potential exposures.... Do you have fur bearing pets that get flea treatment

Do you use air fresheners, perfumes, lotions, cleaning agents, chemicals, done any home remodels lately?

Where do you keep your Ts? Open common room, private room? Private room with central air to the rest of the house? Is your home detached or shared with another unit? Do you get pest control? Do you leave your windows open?

Feeders - no unusual presentation, smell, die offs? Nothing wild caught?

Where do you source your substrate, moss, cork bark, decorations, etc

Not exposure related but no major temperature fluctuations, no chance the enclosure was exposed to direct sun?
No pets
No air fresheners
Ts in spare bedroom at 23C
Feeders - Waxworms from Pets at Home
No direct sunlight.
I have Vercicolor, Horrida, Hamorii and Regalis and all are fine.
Substrate - thespiderroom

The thing that confuses me is the lack of feeding response. Goes in threat posture, presumably hungry as abdomen getting smaller and smaller, but fangs just don't kick in.

Video wasn’t long enough to tell . Last t I lost from dks quit eating. Rip p met.
Please, see this vid from earlier today: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MleWo1ivuds4UZ6EaqQoQD-2GnmJAsW4/view?usp=drivesdk

can't attach it to the post as file too large.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No pets
No air fresheners
Ts in spare bedroom at 23C
Feeders - Waxworms from Pets at Home
No direct sunlight.
I have Vercicolor, Horrida, Hamorii and Regalis and all are fine.
Substrate - thespiderroom

The thing that confuses me is the lack of feeding response. Goes in threat posture, presumably hungry as abdomen getting smaller and smaller, but fangs just don't kick in.

Please, see this vid from earlier today: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MleWo1ivuds4UZ6EaqQoQD-2GnmJAsW4/view?usp=drivesdk

can't attach it to the post as file too large.
Looks like DKS .

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
In cases of extreme dehydration, they can't/won't eat

This feels like dehydration to me... The abdomen fits the bill. Especially since it's post molt, they need to replenish the fluids.

Maybe T knows it's too soon to eat. Maybe it knows it can't.

One drink usually isn't enough. You need to push fluids until it eats.

Extra water dishes, target watering the substrate near their mouth parts. They can drink from moist sub. If they tolerate a coaxing on to the water dish, go for it, you won't drown it.

Try another type of feeder. Maybe it got picky. Crickets are usually popular with every T. I'd start there before something like a roach or mealworm.

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
This is a species I've heard a lot of people have had problems with but it's usually when they are slings. Is humidity the right level? How is your T getting on since last night has their been any improvement?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I think OP went to bed on UK time. :/ Hopefully there will be an update in their morning.

@viper69 sorry to be a squeaky wheel, when I clicked on the Google drive link it opened up the longer 24 second video. I tried uploading it (before immediately reporting myself for posting someone else's content for permission lol) but it's too large to load. :(

This link to MP4 file on Google drive:

I can't embed on mobile (on purpose anyway, sorry)

Should be 0:24

THANK YOU

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think OP went to bed on UK time. :/ Hopefully there will be an update in their morning.

@viper69 sorry to be a squeaky wheel, when I clicked on the Google drive link it opened up the longer 24 second video. I tried uploading it (before immediately reporting myself for posting someone else's content for permission lol) but it's too large to load. :(

This link to MP4 file on Google drive:

I can't embed on mobile (on purpose anyway, sorry)

Should be 0:24

THANK YOU
Watched

Not enough data

Need to see T walking

Nigredo

Arachnopeon
Hiya,

I must apologise for the gdrive situation, I just could not upload the files due to size. I took this video last night - 15.04.24 fred . Was a bit stressed out and didn't want to push it further to walk. It's been like this since Jan really. T does roam around in the enclosure at times, with each stride a tad jittery. Then, when pausing to rest, some of the legs twitch just like you see in that vid added to this post. I was quite worried when the molting preparations started and did not think it'll actually go head with it. Obviously it did manage to molt but the random vibrating limps and twitches and complete lack of fang display remain.

Humidity in the room is at 50, temp 23-24c,. The humidity inside the enclosure is between 60-70 and maintain that by overflowing the water dish when the substrate in that corner dries off.

Cheers